OS X install issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jgbuzwell, May 21, 2010.

1. jgbuzwell macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2007 13" MB 2GHz processor and 1 GHz ram that I purchased a new HDD for. I purchased a Seagate momentus 320 gig drive and when I have it installed the os will not install. I am trying to install a retail version of 10.4 but would rather install a copy of 10.5 but at the moment do not have a copy at my disposal. Any ideas anyone?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What do you mean by "the os will not install." What happens when you boot off the disc? Hold down Option on startup, does the install disc appear as a bootable drive?

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Make sure the 320GB drive is formatted using the GUID partition table and Mac OS Extended (journaled). Hope that helps.

4. jgbuzwell thread starter macrumors newbie

when I turn on my mb it will not go past blinking folder with the question mark. I tried to use a later MB version restore disk only to figure out that wasn't going to work. So I got my hands on a retail copy of tiger. I can't even get to where I need to format my drive.

5. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Either get a retail version of Leopard or Snow Leopard, or the DVD that came with this Machine.

Your machine is on the cusp between 10.4 and 10.5 and it's way late into the 10.4 cycle, so if you're using an old 10.4 DVD, it's most likely not going to have the drivers needed for that laptop.

6. jgbuzwell thread starter macrumors newbie

so is my MB supposed to be using 10.4.6 ? and the retail version of 10.4 that I am trying to use must be an older version than that.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

If you have the retail version of Tiger OS X 10.4.?, it should work. Make sure you are not using a gray restore disks, these are machine specific. You'd be better off getting snow Leopard and loading that.
    Hold the "option" button down while you're booting your MB, this will load the boot loader menu and then choose Tiger disk from the menu.