"OS X is turning into a "Walled Garden" "

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yellowstone2012, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Yellowstone2012 macrumors regular

Fact: No it isn't. Fact: This would be a MONOPOLY, which defined by the Government, is illegal. So why would Apple want to get into a heap of legal trouble just over disabling unsigned apps? They wouldn't want to get into trouble.

People, please clear your mind.

As more and more people (& businesses) adopt Macs as their computer, they don't want trade secrets, or any other type of information to be stolen by hackers.

Also, as more seniors and people who don't have the knowledge on how to use OS X, they will like the security the OS X offers basically for $30, which is signed apps and MAS apps. This security can also be turned off.

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I don't think you know what a monopoly is.
    And monopolies are not illegal.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Not to be crabbier than usual, but I grow weary of the assumption that seniors are addle brained, drooling morons incapable of learning computer skills.

Yes, there are seniors who don't know how to use their computers. There are also 20, 30 and 40 year olds (for the children among us - that don't count as "seniors") who don't know the first thing about the electronic devices they use.

"Senior" and "incompetent, computer illiterate" are not synonymous.

/rant

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Meh... At 67, i'm perfectly capable of diagnosing and solving problems with my Mac and some Windows PCs. I am careful with doing backups, especially before running software update or adding new stuff, have multiple backups, including one in a fireproof box in the basement.

I spent 40+ years working as a software engineer and remember a fair amount of the details of what goes on down within the bowels of *NIX. I know other people like myself who know more than some of the smart-ass whipper-snappers who whine about problems instead of doing something about them.

The security of OSx still depends to some degree on the user having some common sense.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

FACT: Monopolies are not illegal.

FACT: You don't know what a monopoly is.

7. TheTorch macrumors newbie

The iPhone should be illegal since it unethically doesn't allow the user to run his own software and Apple anti-competetively doesn't allow other companies' software such as Firefox on their OS.

8. MikhailT macrumors 601

What does it have to do with ethnics and anti-competition? There is nothing unethical and anti-competitive with Apple is doing, they are entitled to do what they want on their devices.

You are NOT entitled to run your own apps on devices you buy, there are no laws to force companies to do this for users. You chose to buy the device knowingly that there are restrictions.

You want it to run your own software, buy a different phone that allows it, like Android.

By restricting companies to do what they want, you are inhibiting innovation, simple as that.

If iPhones are illegal by your logic, then you will have to declare Xbox, PS3, Windows RT, Windows Phone, and dozens of other popular electronics as well because they will NOT let you run your own software on it beside what's already available in their stores.

9. TheTorch macrumors newbie

The iPhone is a general purpose computer that runs general purpose apps. Blocking competing software from running on it is anti-competitive, especially when they have a monopoly in the mobile browser market. 93% of all mobile internet traffic is from iOS. If it was legal, why was Microsoft sued for simply providing a default browser out of the box on Windows. Apple doesn't even allow other browsers at all!

10. Lunfai macrumors 65816

Lunfai

Anyone else just got the urge to play Monopoly?

11. MikhailT macrumors 601

By your logic, so is Xbox, PS3, they're a general purpose computers running restrictive OS that only allows for one platform type of games. You don't see anybody whining that it's illegal.

General Purpose Computer running general apps does not mean anything, it certainly does not mean you're entitled to run anything you want.

iPhone is a smartphone platform that uses iOS. To use iOS, you agree to follow its rules. Simple as that.

Microsoft wasn't sued for providing a default browser out of the box, Microsoft was sued because of how they forced others to use their software illegally. Apple does not force anybody to use their platform, does not force nor bribes stores to include their stuff and so on. Therefore, they are not being anti-competitive.

Also, monopoly is NOT ILLEGAL, it never has been as such. If Microsoft never forced others to accept them, they would still be okay for using IE as the default browser. The default browser screen thing they're doing in EU is their punishment but once the current agreement expires, Microsoft is free to go back to doing what they want as long as they don't do anything anti-competitive again.