OS X keeps prompting me for my Facebook password in Sys prefs

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by joelovesapple, May 25, 2018.

1. joelovesapple macrumors 6502a

joelovesapple

Anyone know what’s going on?

I’ve tried changing my password multiple times, then put the new one into sys prefs. Still asks me for my password. I’ve deleted my account from the sys prefs multiple times, I’ve tried app passwords on facebook and then entered them in accordingly, and still no luck. I have also disabled two factor authentication but it still won’t play ball. I’ve even rebooted the computer. I have no idea what’s going on.

I’m running the latest 10.13.4 on a late 2015 iMac. Please help. It’s worked flawlessly for years until now.

PS I’ve also noticed that an address book account for FB has appeared when I re-login but I can’t authenticate with any password there. it’s really annoying and I’m completely lost.

:(

2. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

So this happened to me a few days ago - But it has stopped again. I think it's on Facebook's end due to them changing things around for GDPR, and I think it should be fixed with time.

3. jasonc0604 macrumors newbie

Having the same issue today. Facebook says it's an OS X issue, Apple says it's a Facebook issue. Sigh, guess I'm just going to turn off Facebook integration for now.

4. Marc_S macrumors member

Marc_S

Ditto! might even be a blessing in disguise ;)

5. artguy10 macrumors member

I've had this problem for the last several days on all of my Apple devices with multiple versions, so the problem is with Facebook. It still seems to integrate fine with Facebook, just gives the annoying popup. Hope it gets fixed soon.

6. vegetassj4 macrumors regular

vegetassj4

7. PlaidRadish macrumors newbie

Also happening here. Anyone got solutions, yet?

8. rkevinhill macrumors newbie

rkevinhill

How do I do that? I tried the Notifications panel, but Facebook notifications are already off.

9. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Happening here also, periodically. However, I still get notifications.

@rkevinhill to remove that integration, open System Preferences, then go to Internet Accounts and remove the Facebook account.

10. albeedelacruz macrumors newbie

albeedelacruz

Has anyone managed to fix this? Been having this problem for several days now. I even re-installed High Sierra but I still get the same problem.

11. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Seems a way to check whether it’s an Apple or Facebook issue would be to try it in Windows.

See if it happens there too.

12. albeedelacruz macrumors newbie

albeedelacruz

I’m not entirely sure how I can test the difference between Mac and Windows because I can login to Facebook using my browser on either OS. The problem appears to happen only in “Internet Accounts” under SysPrefs.

Another test I did was login to Facebook using my old iPhone 5c. I entered my Facebook details inside Settings>Facebook. Low and behold, it also kept asking me to re-enter my password.

I’m positive that this has something to do with the authentication method Apple is using to connect to Facebook. Both companies should talk to each other and investigate the problem. Again, re-installing High Sierra didn’t fix my problem.

13. sgtaylor5 macrumors member

sgtaylor5

I’ve run into this problem with two customers this week.

Solution is to delete the Facebook app and delete Facebook integration data from contacts and elsewhere when you turn off Facebook integration in Settings.

Then reinstall Facebook and login and then turn on Facebook integration and login.

14. albeedelacruz macrumors newbie

albeedelacruz

15. sgtaylor5 macrumors member

sgtaylor5

Oh, OK. These were on iOS; my bad. I’d just do the parts that are relevant and ignore the parts that aren’t.

16. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

had to do the same thing sgtaylor5 suggested for google about a month ago too...

17. albeedelacruz macrumors newbie

albeedelacruz

That's okay. I'll try doing this on my old iPhone and check if it will work.

18. lazarusr macrumors newbie

19. Dr. Freeman macrumors member

Dr. Freeman

Same here, I'm also getting the annoying popup on iOS 10.2.

20. findcoop macrumors newbie

findcoop

I removed the account from Internet Accounts and re-added it. When re-adding, my password seemed to take but I was prompted several times right away through notifications to re-authenitcate. Didn't solve it.

21. djcristi macrumors member

22. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Yup, I tried removing the account from System Preferences, then re-added it but it didn't "take", I was unable to share a picture from Photos last night and had to export it.

23. MAlexB macrumors member

MAlexB

Reason seems to be a problem in calendar integration('Facebook Events')...

24. Phil in ocala Suspended

Phil in ocala

This is just another FLAW in High Sierra....like notifications...one hour it says its been 150 days since my last back up and then later in the day it tell me its been 740 days...and there is NO way to turn this off...its a big joke Geeks at apple have done.

25. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

Yeah. I’m having the same issue. I don’t which company is to blame for this but I already found it rather hard to justify even having a Facebook Account now.