Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I was just wondering, how many people here will get Leopard. Personally, I'm either going to wait for 10.6, or buy a new desktop in the near future with newer software. I find it a bit silly to get every OS that comes out. What are your thoughts?

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
I will be upgrading, since my dad works at a University he gets it about halfprice, and I have a MacBook Pro I would want it to be as up-to-date as possible. I can't wait to see how the interface changes! Those pinstripes & folders & little things like that are getting outdated.

(speaking of outdated...have you seen .mac ?? UGH its so ugly. It is like OS X public beta)

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
If you play the waiting game, and keep waiting for the next best thing, guess what - you'll always be waiting. :p ;) But what you need, when you need it, and you'll never be disappointed.

For me, I'm waiting for a 20" Conroe/Merom iMac, Blu Ray optical drive, 500 GB HDD, 2 GB RAM, 802.11n, iLife 07 and OS 10.5 Leopard. When all those criteria are met, I'll make my purchase! And I'll do this knowing that if I wait a few more months, something better will be out... ;) :cool:

But yes, I am currently still on Panther, as I didn't have a need to upgrade to Tiger, so I know what you mean.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I always buy the upgrades, the day they are released! Thats just me! I love trying out the new operating system as seeing what it has to offer!

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
G99 said:
I was just wondering, how many people here will get Leopard. Personally, I'm either going to wait for 10.6, or buy a new desktop in the near future with newer software. I find it a bit silly to get every OS that comes out. What are your thoughts?

I said the same thing with Tiger, I didn't think I would need it. But as time went by, and after I used someone's computer who had Tiger, those features became really appealing. Now I can't live without spotlight and dashboard and all the rest of the added features.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
cwedl said:
I always buy the upgrades, the day they are released! Thats just me! I love trying out the new operating system as seeing what it has to offer!

Me too. Now that Apple have provided a solution for Win XP booting, the pressure will (hopefully) be on to improve the perceived performance (UI etc) and actual (OpenGL etc)

AppleMatt (awaiting teh snappy)

Oryan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Lincoln, NE
I will be upgrading when Leopard comes out. I opted to skip Tiger because I couldn't justify the purchase at the time and now that I could, I've decided I can wait another 6-9 months.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
i'll definitely be upgrading. not that i have any need to, i'd just prefer to.

iLife and iWork on the other hand, i decided to skip '06 since there wasn't a whole lot new that appealed to me, so basically i'm going to be buying 10.5, iLife '07 and iWork '07 all at the same time next year. :cool:

Applespider

macrumors G4
I bought Tiger since I wasn't planning on buying a new Mac any time soon and the new features appealed. It made my Powerbook feel new again.

I probably won't buy a boxed copy of Leopard since by the time it's released, the Powerbook will be 3ish... and I'll be planning on updating it again so I might as well wait and get it loaded on the new Mac.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I am still on 10.3 however I think I will be getting a intel machine in November. When do you think 10.5 will be out? I hope its before November. If not I may have to go shopping later on.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
depends whats new. If the only major thing is boot camp, then no as i don't have an intel mac

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
cwedl said:

I completely agree, Panther was great, Tiger is amazing, I'm [im]patiently awaiting what Jobs and co. have in store for Leopard (besides Boot Camp)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
puckhead193 said:
depends whats new. If the only major thing is boot camp, then no as i don't have an intel mac
There must be something more then bootcamp or no one is going to buy it. Apple would not do that, release a program for free then charge for it in the next OS as if its something brand new. There will be more to 10.5 then bootcamp. I am thinking a new finder.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
depends on the features. As people have said, if its just boot camp, i won't buy. If it's more, like a new UI, new apps that make my life easier, etc.

But if the version of Boot Camp that comes with leopard has a fast OS switching feature, than i will buy just for that.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
trainguy77 said:
There must be something more then bootcamp or no one is going to buy it. Apple would not do that, release a program for free then charge for it in the next OS as if its something brand new. There will be more to 10.5 then bootcamp. I am thinking a new finder.
true, i'm thinking of getting an imac or a intel PM in Aug and run Final cut studio if a new version decides to come out soon... what will happen is that my brother will want it and will get the family pack and i'll end up having it...we will have to see.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
I will but probablly a bit after it comes out, maybe after 1 or 2 updates, and by that time hopefully ilife 07 comes out, and i wil probablly purchase that as well..

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I think the regular incremental updates of the OS X operating system are one of its most attractive features. Windows gets so stale. Yes, there's reason in not buying more than you actually need, but OS X is inspiring and I believe that's where the real value is. I'll certainly be upgrading.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
Just wanted to add, i am a recent switcher and the fact that i can get the latest OS for only 129 and i think its even cheaper with my student discount, excuse my language, is F***ing awsome! :eek:
and also the fact that it wil probablly be the last OS that will really fully support PPC IN MY OPPINION, i am going to get it for sure. :eek:

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
miniConvert said:
I think the regular incremental updates of the OS X operating system are one of its most attractive features. Windows gets so stale. Yes, there's reason in not buying more than you actually need, but OS X is inspiring and I believe that's where the real value is. I'll certainly be upgrading.

yeah, i wish windows did more of a System upgrade.. i mean they have service pack 1 and 2, but between that, there is 200000 security updates mostly IE, i wish they just made updates every month in one nice package! :) I love how apple does that, because i force myself to than upgrade some of my applications that i use regularly, and make sure its up to date.. it makes me spend that day to spend 1 hrs or so cleaning up my system a bit and such!

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
Well, by the time I get my iMac 17", Leopard will probably be out. But if Leopard comes out before I can buy my iMac, I will just wait it out because I don't see the need to buy the software when a few months later, I will get it at no extra cost with my iMac.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
trainguy77 said:

Oh, I would love a new Finder. Bring it on. :)

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'll preorder it like I did with Panther and Tiger and hopefully get it on release date :cool:

If I have extra money and can afford to buy it sans edu discount, I may go to the Apple Store for release night and get it there.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i'll be getting it as i won't be buying any systems with it. and i like to upgrade when i can. its not likely to slow down my system at all either, actually from what i've experienced with apple OS upgrades, the OS just gets faster. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.