OS X Lion Screen Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by tbayrgs, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I've been using the native screen sharing feature to control my Mac Mini HTPC from my Macbook since Leopard. I realize that this feature has some changes incorporated into Lion--when I attempt today after installing Lion on both machines, I received the option to either Ask to share the display or Connect to a virtual display.

I first attempted to Connect to a virtual display (see you desktop and files) as this appeared to be how it was previously done with no luck--option box disappears with no screen sharing window opening and after about 30 seconds, the dialogue box reappears.

I was able to connect using the Ask to share the display but it requires permission be approved on the Mac Mini--defeats the purpose of screen sharing with the Mac Mini if I have to go turn on the TV and give permission and I see no option to automatically approve in preferences.

I have not changed any of the settings that I previously used in SL and made sure screen sharing was enabled on both computers. I can see both computers in each other's Finders (though when attempting to connect from the Mini to the Macbook, the Macbook states 'Not Connected' or 'Connection Failed.' As far as I can tell, I've mirrored the sharing settings on both computers and as mentioned, had not changed anything from SL.

After having no success, I even turned on Back to My Mac on the Mini (wasn't previously turned on) just in case but still no luck opening a virtual display.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I'm missing/doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

OS X Lion Screen Sharing

Hoping someone can help me out. A month ago I read that OS X Lion will be bringing in screen sharing which would allow one to log in to any account using their Apple ID to basically do remote desktop. I cannot find out how to do this. Help?

3. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

Mine is not working in Lion. It did work (one direction) before lion. By going to finder and connecting to the computer, there is a button next to "connect" for screen sharing.

I still have that button, but no combination of username / password works any longer. I've reset passwords on both ends, but it just won't screen share, but I can connect to the HD.

4. batsabode macrumors newbie

batsabode

Same problem

I am having exatly the same problem and its already driving me completely crazy! Anyone have a simple solution. Im sure its something easy but cannot work it out!

5. saberahul, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

saberahul macrumors 68040

I'm still confused. As far as I know, Lion allows one to connect to any mac running on Lion (may they be in a different part of the world) till the time they are connected to the internet and are using the same Apple ID or have authenticated your Apple ID. That is what I wish to do: I want to connect to another Mac in a different location altogether using the screen sharing app which is introduced in Lion.

Problem: I cannot find the screen sharing and I cannot figure out how to authenticate a computer so that they can control my mac or I can control their mac.

Any advice? I know Lion is just out but I kind of need this urgently... so far I have been using iChat's screen sharing to do the work.

Edit: Do I need to purchase Apple's remote desktop to do this? I thought the screen sharing was built in to Lion?

6. WMuntean macrumors regular

Wish I could offer some help, but I can say that it is working for me and my Mac Mini.

I did have to re-type the password and re-save it in my keychain. Other than that, it operates well.

7. thatisme macrumors 6502

thatisme

probably need to go the remote desktop route and purchase from the MAS for that

8. saberahul, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

saberahul macrumors 68040

Ya I was hoping for something that would allow me to log in wirelessly without having to shell out $79.99 for it. Guess I'll stick to iChat for now then.

The "connect" thing you mentioned - do you only see that when there are other macs running on the same network as your computer?

Okay I just found screen sharing over at this link. How do I access this on my MBP?

9. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

So you can open a Virtual Display right from the dialog box that appears when you select Share Screen?

10. Superfletch macrumors newbie

My screen sharing tries to connect for about two minutes and then apparently does, however, there is no "screen". Just says there's a connection. That's from my MBP to my Mac Mini. My mac mini will share screens with my macbook pro.

11. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Screen Sharing doesn't seem to work?

Computer A) Snow Leopard
    Computer B) Lion

When I try to remote screen share to computer A (so I can control it from Computer B), it keeps getting stuck at the connecting window. But the way it's getting stuck is that I see the connecting window for about a millisecond and then it would disappear. it would do this continuously off and on until I go to the dock and force quit the screen sharing app.

Anyone with two macs try this? This is by far the most useful tool for me because I can control my computer from work and make bit torrent additions.

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

Just did a google search and it shows that Screen Sharing is built into every Lion. I cannot figure out what I am missing here...

13. JeffMonty macrumors member

I haven't tried it in Lion yet but make sure Screen Sharing is enabled in the Sharing pref pane. You can edit access rights there too.

14. saberahul macrumors 68040

Okay thanks I did not know about this setting in pref. Now that I have enabled Screen Sharing - how would someone on another network in a different location connect to my computer? Can this be password protected?

15. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You need to know your IP address and enable NAT on your router, or go with a service such as Log me in, which is free. There are others.

16. saberahul macrumors 68040

I have logmein but it is quite slow. iChat's screen sharing is super fast. I was hoping the built in screen sharing would be just as fast. Thanks for the tip - I need to now figure out what this NAT is and how I would enable it. Thanks again!

17. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Depends on your router.Check your router config page. You just need to map your external IP to your internal one.

18. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Sounds pretty much like the problem I was having, though I was trying to connect between 2 computers both using Lion. I could share the screen but only using the Ask to Share a Screen option which required allowing permission on the source computer.

I was able to using screen sharing with my Mom's mac (via Back to My Mac) located across the country and still using Snow Leopard.

May be premature but I'm rolling back to SL for the time being--doesn't seem like Lion is completely ready for prime time, at least in my home.

19. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

I think apple should of hired me as their OS tester. Not for the technical stuff but for the little things people take away or add. I want to have my baby powder ready to start slapping people. I want steve jobs to give me power to even slap him. I'll cover that entire headquarters with baby powder and my hand imprint.

20. tide1 macrumors newbie

Screen Sharing Lion to SnowLeopard

I'm having this exact same problem. Exactly. When both machines were running Snow Leopard, I never encountered any problems. Both computers are on the same local network. In Finder I can actually see and connect to the 'File Sharing' directories of 'Computer A', so the password I'm using is correct. Screen Sharing is enabled on 'Computer A'.

Computer A - MacMini, SnowLeopard.
    Computer B - MacBook, Lion.

Trying to connect TO 'Computer A' FROM 'Computer B'.

I've just noticed this, while Screen Sharing is trying to connect I used LogMeIn to see what was on the display of 'Computer A'. Its the Login Screen waiting for a password, with grey font "[username] Logged In".

Connecting Status window appears/disappears every 30 seconds or so.

Besides rolling back to SL or upgrading both to Lion, any ideas?

21. WMuntean macrumors regular

Thats funny because I do the same from work. And yep this works for me. Strange.

22. StrangeNoises, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

StrangeNoises macrumors member

StrangeNoises

Same problem I think

I seem to be getting this problem too. Just posted this into the black hole of Apple Feedback so thought I'd post it here too:

Two macs, an iMac8,1 (24-inch, Early 2008) and a MacbookPro5,5 (13-inch, Mid 2009), both upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7 yesterday. Both fully up to date (including the Remote Desktop Client Update 3.5.1).

Trying to connect to the iMac from the MBP using afp or screen sharing fails; the Finder just says "Connection failed" with credentials that worked until the upgrade. Tried deleting entries for that host from Keychain Access and re-entering, but still fails. Tried switching the iMac's sharing from Screen Sharing to Remote Management, but that made no difference at all. (Which wasn't hugely surprising as afp is affected too, so probably a general authentication issue? By the same token, changing screen sharing settings on the MBP to disable things like adaptive quality and changing encryption made no difference.)

Auto-discovery (bonjour) working fine, the MBP can correctly see what the iMac is advertising. It just fails to connect.

When it fails to connect (ie: in Finder going to "Connect As..." and re-entering credentials and clicking Connect), this is logged (split between system.log and kernel.log):

21/07/2011 11:07:17.039 Finder SharePointBrowser::handleEnumerateCallBack returned -6600
    21/07/2011 11:07:49.176 NetAuthSysAgent AFP error -5014 mapped to EIO
    21/07/2011 11:07:49.177 Finder SharePointBrowser::handleEnumerateCallBack returned 5
    21/07/2011 11:07:50.000 kernel ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 17 error 89 reqID 18 flags 0x9 afpCmd 0x18 so 0xffffff80088c0b40

ssh from the MBP to the iMac works. It's definitely *there*. telnet on port 5900 from the MBP to the iMac works, the port is definitely listening.

Connecting to the iMac with Remote Desktop Viewer (basically VNC) on Ubuntu 11.04 works fine. Connecting to the iMac with iTeleport 5.1.0 on iPad and iPhone (with its new Mac connection method) works fine.

Connecting *from* the iMac[1] *to* the MPB works fine, so this is a one-way problem and so I guess presumably configuration-based but I can't see a way to resolve it beyond a full fresh reinstall, and I don't know which machine needs it.

[1]: Damn; report submitted to apple with that saying iPad. Can fix it here, can't fix it there, hope they get what I mean anyway.

Connecting from the MBP to a remote Snow Leopard Server machine works fine. Connecting from the MBP to Ubuntu Remote Desktop (again, VNC basically) works fine.

Sorry, don't have means to connect a Snow Leopard client to the iMac at the moment. (Earlier-mentioned Snow Leopard Server is a mac mini server that's coming home from colo at the end of this month and can be tested then before being reinstalled, but not earlier. One hopes the problem will be gone by then anyway, one way or another :)

23. rog macrumors 6502

Total nightmare for me. In the past week I have bought an airport extreme, newest one, and of course lion which I updated on 4 macs. Was hoping to do back to my mac and screen sharing. Screen sharing worked fine on all via 10.6.8

1-My iMac
    2-My MacBook Air
    3-My Mini
    4-Partner's iMac

my iMac and mini can file and screenshare with each other, and they can be shared with the other two. However, in the other direction, no mac can access the Mini or my partner's iMac. Have set airport extreme in bridge mode and DHCP/NAT, have connected wired ethernet and airport, turned on and off firewall, turned on and off passwords, turned on and off SMB, turned on and off VNC sharing with password. Tried toggling remote management vs screen sharing. Have tried specifying users and allowing all users. turned back to my mac on and off (which is supposed to allow sharing via mobile me account--and that doesn't work on any mac). NOTHING WORKS! The whole point was to be able to screen share from the upstairs mini to partners iMac downstairs when he's in the main floor. 10.7 has been the buggiest mess in this regard. Additionally, when I uncheck the user accounts under SMB sharing, no matter how many times I do it it refuses to uncheck.

24. gentlefury macrumors 68030

how are you initiating this connection? I haven't had this problem, everything is working identically for me and I have a Mac Pro and Mac Mini HTPC that I control with the Mac Pro.

25. tbayrgs thread starter macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Initiating it through the Screen Sharing option in Finder after selecting the Mini found under the Shared section. Again, never had any problems in SL and after rolling back both machines to SL last night, everything is once again working perfectly. I'll wait until Apple puts out an update or two for Lion and give it a go again at that time--no biggie, just bummed I spent the better part of a full day installing Lion, trying to troubleshoot and finally rolling back to SL.