Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
I hope it fixes the, "oh you locked your screen? let me shrink your windows and place them in the upper left corner where you can't move them or interact with them" bug.

Every fricken time.

Ramsos

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Oakland, California
I'm really hoping for some improvements to the Quicktime player X and that Mavericks will play nice with Apple Prores422 files. After all it's apples own codec, why not fully support it like that always did before. I shoot a lot of Prores video and I don't get icon previews anymore and I'm not alone on this. Quicktime Player X has limited support for lots of files now and has to "Convert" them to play them when they used to play natively. Quicktime 7 is far from dead for video professionals.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
And then there is the group that has not installed Mavericks at all. Hard to see a reason to do so.

(yea, I in that group)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Please fix the Exchange integration to a level that is comparable to iOS. It's not understandable that this works on the iDevices, but not on OSX. You have the know how, you have the code, it's just a question of doing it....

...and we'd like to use AirDrop between iOS and OSX as well. You know, integration once was one of your strengths...

I agree with the tense you used there.

I see more and more examples of lack of interoperability, the loss of some pro-grade features that mean less collaboration/performance/flexibility and the dumbing down of how new features look like.

•iCloud anyone? Mighty Lord... So many things wrong with it
•I sit on my bed, the Mac's over there, I have this iPhone in my hands and want to quickly do something with my Mac, but all I can do is use the Remote app. Seriously, there's nothing more you can think of than giving me a 2.0 version of the remote I have near my pillow as well?
•XSan... Why did it have to go?

I could go on...

Glassed Silver:mac

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Hopefully this will include finally being able to send the latest iWork documents as attachments with Gmail accounts in Mail. Big huge fail there.
Isn't this problem due to gmail and not Mavericks - it doesn't work with Mail.app or web based gmail ?

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
this is not a proper 10.9.x update! this is bug fixes and i am frankly disappointed!

How about facetime audio? how about a control centre type function? where is the unity?

edit: and airdrop across devices!

DGFan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2003
this is not a proper 10.9.x update! this is bug fixes and i am frankly disappointed!

How about facetime audio? how about a control centre type function? where is the unity?

10.x.1 is pretty much always about bug fixes.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Exchange? Yes. Should have been fixed long ago.

AirDrop? Not so fast. You want it to work magically somehow...but I bet you haven't thought of the 10 million reasons why its not so simple.

Meanwhile, on the app store......

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/flick./id644265534

Just not nicely integrated into the OS, but using WiFi.

But wait, it's not measuring the distance between my Mac and iPhone via Bluetooth unlike AirDrop does between compatible iOS devices, so I don't get to see it being directly in front of my face on my iPhone...

Whoopdidoo!

mpantone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
And then there is the group that has not installed Mavericks at all. Hard to see a reason to do so.
The oft-quoted best reason to upgrade to Mavericks right now is better battery life on MacBooks.

I did so on my MacBook Air, found the OS to be useful and stable enough to proceed in installing Mavericks on my Mac mini.

Everyone's needs and wants are different. My needs on both systems happen to be quite simple, and my user experience has been quite good for an initial 10.x.0 release.

Of course, I had full Time Machine backups of both systems while they were still on Mountain Lion, so if I had found Mavericks to be unhelpful, I would have downgraded. A low risk proposition.

Nothing wrong staying with Mountain Lion for the time being. I have a spare Mtn Lion external boot drive as well, Just In Case(™).

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Still piece of **** filled with bugs. They didn't fix ONE of the important problems reported

I'm hoping that they did fix some of the freezing issues but just didn't list it as a specific bug =/

----------

That's a ridiculous expectation. Mavericks is incredibly buggy and laggy right now and needs to be patched well before new features are added. This is not uncommon on .1 releases.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Isn't this problem due to gmail and not Mavericks - it doesn't work with Mail.app or web based gmail ?

Hard to say that it is a problem with Gmail when Google hasn't made any changes, Apple has.

Sending the new iWork documents as attachments does not work in Gmail via the native web-based interface or via the Mail app.

This does mean the problem is not inherent to the Mail app, but rather with iWork's new document format not being compatible with Gmail.

In my view that means that the initiative lies with Apple to improve compatibility issues its products have with Gmail, not the other way around.

In a business situation like my company is in, using Google Apps for Business, it means that we will be forced to revert back to MS Office if the issue is not resolved. We certainly won't change our email service for the whole company.

This new iWork file format compatibility problem is not limited to Gmail either. Dropbox cannot handle it either. It unpacks the content of the file in a folder as if it were a compressed archive.

The only way to share these files outside of iCloud (which just doesn't work in a business environment, and was never designed to) is to compress them in a zipped archive on Dropbox, and when you uncompress it, then the file is intact. However you then of course lose the ability to work with and update the document.

So something was not fully thought through on Apple's side when they created the new file formats for iWork. Either that or they are just are arrogant enough to believe that everyone will conform to their needs. The third alternative is that they simply don't care about it enough to ensure seamless use of their touted productivity software and have instead concentrated their resources on more aesthetic features like the web-based versions and iCloud collaboration, which, while a neat trick, do not have anything to do with real core productivity, especially in a business setting with the limitations iCloud has. :(

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Please fix the slow finder in open/save dialogues. It's maddening.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
I see why apple made this update free, buggy mess

You can say that again, I have never had Mac OS X freeze so often on me. F.. hating it.

----------

I agree with the tense you used there.

I see more and more examples of lack of interoperability, the loss of some pro-grade features that mean less collaboration/performance/flexibility and the dumbing down of how new features look like.

•iCloud anyone? Mighty Lord... So many things wrong with it
•I sit on my bed, the Mac's over there, I have this iPhone in my hands and want to quickly do something with my Mac, but all I can do is use the Remote app. Seriously, there's nothing more you can think of than giving me a 2.0 version of the remote I have near my pillow as well?
•XSan... Why did it have to go?

I could go on...

Please go on.... :D

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
World Class City of Chicago
Sorry! too late.

I reverted back to Snow Leopard.

Mavericks:

Too many frozen windows.
Too many reboot loops.
Too many startup problems.
Too many hot lap tops.
Too much for me to bear.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
? Once released... will all new Imacs come with 10.9.1 installed by default or will this still require a download and install?

Negaiido

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
I hope they fix the lag in finder and launchpad.
A graphic glitch fix could also be welcome when scrolling through launchpad.
The frame drops are unbearable for a new retina MBP :(

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'll compile a list of all my gripes so far...
  • Gmail issues = won't download new messages.
  • Minor graphical glitches (extremely minor) during certain animations, sometimes.
Um...um...hmm...
OO! One more.
  • "iPod Photo Cache" folder is still spawned in a really stupid place by design....

Hopefully they don't fix these, otherwise I won't have anything to gripe about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.