Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010

Yep, was just about to post that myself!

It'd be nice if you'd acknowledge that your earlier statement that it wasn't connected with Mavericks was erroneous!

As the story explains...

"When iOS 7 and Mavericks were introduced back in September, Apple removed local syncing in favor of cloud syncing, allowing users to sync calendars, contacts, bookmarks, and notes only via iCloud. Many users were unhappy with the feature removal and their inability to sync information to their iOS devices using their Macs. "

Clearly, as my case indicated, the latest version of iTunes works perfectly fine under Mountain Lion!

In any event, just glad that Apple got the message!

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yep, was just about to post that myself!

It'd be nice if you'd acknowledge that your earlier statement that it wasn't connected with Mavericks was erroneous!

You are still misinterpreting what I originally said. I didn't say that it wasn't connected to Mavericks.

You said that "Mavericks eliminates USB synching of iOS devices and forces users to use Wi-Fi." That is not true. What was removed with the version of iTunes on Mavericks was the ability to sync contact, calendars, and bookmarks via USB or iTunes Wifi sync. You could still sync media via both theses methods.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
We're talking past each (common on the Internet :)), but just so long as others understand this:

You cannot, for now, sync your contacts and calendar via USB connection when using Mavericks.

That's *not* a result of using the latest version of iTunes per se--the latest version does NOT prevent USB sync of contacts and calendar when you are on Mountain Lion. It's only when you are on Mavericks that you have to Wi-Fi sync them.

For most people, that means i-Cloud, and for many people, the idea of passing along their address book and events to Apple is unnerving.

In any event, getting back to the original topic--this is a good reason for not upgrading to Mavericks!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
If Apple would offer deeper legacy support then we would be seeing far greater penetration and they could make money selling more content. There are a huge number of Macs out there which are too old to run Mavericks but the 'oldness' is an artificial line drawn in the silicon. Apple could support Macs back to 1999 and they would have almost everyone and approach 100% upgrading.

Why would they want to support 15 year old computers?

----------

I have an old G4 Mini running Lion that I use as a file server and for the occasional Classic app. I don't browse the web much with it, but TenFourFox (Firefox fork for PPC) serves well enough when I do.

How the hell did you get a G4 running Lion???

Tiger or Leopard I can understand.

----------

Absolutely no reason for this machine, nor many others of the Intel era, not to be able to run it.

Even the later plastic MacBooks had more than capable hardware, even if the video was on the lower end of that.

Release the proper drivers and let's get going Apple. Why is it the third party solutions work fine. They are literally putting themselves into the road where there is traffic just like the jailbreaking situation, though admittedly sometimes closing some of those holes is due to an actual security vulnerability in the case of jailbreaking.

Why should they? They want you to pay for new hardware. A machine from 2006 makes them no money!

----------

Then it's a hardware issue. I work with your model all the time on 10.9.2 and 2 GB of RAM, and it's fine. You might have RAM errors or SSD errors. I'd get a service provider to run overnight stress tests.

I wouldn't want to run Mavericks on anything less than 4GB of RAM.

If it's fine on a different version of OS X then there are likely NO hardware errors.

----------

Cause Snow Leopard is the best OS ever made by Apple, so their users choose not to upgrade.

Regarding Lion and Mountain Lion, they have no reason not to upgrade.

It isn't though. I had so many memory leaks with snow. It was very bad at freeing up memory when applications closed, and would page out when I had one app running. Frequent reboots were the only cure for me.

Leopard and Tiger were better in that respect.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Why should they? They want you to pay for new hardware. A machine from 2006 makes them no money!
It earns them a reputation! You wouldn't believe how many people looking to replace their 3-year-old PC get astonished by a 2004 Mac still running fine.

It isn't though. I had so many memory leaks with snow. It was very bad at freeing up memory when applications closed, and would page out when I had one app running. Frequent reboots were the only cure for me.

Leopard and Tiger were better in that respect.
SL is still the most ergonomic, beautiful and compatible OS X there was. All the newer feel inferior in that regard.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
SL is still the most ergonomic, beautiful and compatible OS X there was. All the newer feel inferior in that regard.

We're going to have to disagree on that.

I personally hated what SL did to Exposé, the layout of it on both Leopard and Tiger was better.

Tiger was a faster OS and to me had less issues. I was affected by the bug with SL when it came out to do with having the guest account enabled. I lost my home folder completely and had to restore it from my SuperDuper backup.

Leopard was as good as SL and had the advantage of being able to run on PPC hardware.

Speaking of old PCs I have an old Toshiba laptop from '07 that is just fine. It now has Windows 7 on it and works just as good as it did with XP.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
We're going to have to disagree on that.

I personally hated what SL did to Exposé, the layout of it on both Leopard and Tiger was better.

Tiger was a faster OS and to me had less issues. I was affected by the bug with SL when it came out to do with having the guest account enabled. I lost my home folder completely and had to restore it from my SuperDuper backup.

Leopard was as good as SL and had the advantage of being able to run on PPC hardware.

Speaking of old PCs I have an old Toshiba laptop from '07 that is just fine. It now has Windows 7 on it and works just as good as it did with XP.
I can't say for previous versions of OS X since I haven't used them. But your Toshiba surely outlived most of its PC counterparts. How much was it worth at the time of purchase?

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
I can't say for previous versions of OS X since I haven't used them. But your Toshiba surely outlived most of its PC counterparts. How much was it worth at the time of purchase?

It was an expensive laptop, however easily £300-400 less than a MB of the time.

However it is not that unusual for PCs to last that long. Many businesses have PCs that are pushing 7 years old. And going by experience, a business desktop is not an expensive computer at all.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
It was an expensive laptop, however easily £300-400 less than a MB of the time.

However it is not that unusual for PCs to last that long. Many businesses have PCs that are pushing 7 years old. And going by experience, a business desktop is not an expensive computer at all.
I can count consumer level PCs lasting that long on the fingers of one hand. Business-level PCs are a different beast, with a much better construction (akin to MacBook…'s), and come with a noticeable premium over their consumer counterparts. But a desktop machine surely doesn't get beaten as badly as a laptop. My father still has a 2001 desktop machine running, only two owners, few movings. And I used a 2004 Thinkpad, clearly a business machine, that failed irreparably in 2006, 6 or 7 users.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Admittedly this is completely anecdotal, but I've know a number of people-- store owners, students, relatives, etc.-- who have gone through 2, 3 or more desktop or laptop Windows PCs in a very short spell. Every couple of months, another acquaintance seems to have a problem (several times it's been Dell, but the Ns are too small to conclude anything about brands).

Very few of the Mac folks I know have had such replacement experiences--they may have had an issue here or there (typically taken care of under Apple Care or at an Apple Store), but they have not had to completely replace their Macs or buy a couple of replacement computers in just a couple of years.

We sit here with a 10-year-old iBook G4 that still runs like a charm (although it requires turning off Flash and, occasionally, one wishes the Internet were faster). We also have a 6-year-old MacBook Pro that, with Snow Leopard, runs fantastically well--no complaints there save the obvious ones of hot laptop, noisy fan, and battery now expiring (but user-replaceable).

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Admittedly this is completely anecdotal, but I've know a number of people-- store owners, students, relatives, etc.-- who have gone through 2, 3 or more desktop or laptop Windows PCs in a very short spell. Every couple of months, another acquaintance seems to have a problem (several times it's been Dell, but the Ns are too small to conclude anything about brands).

Very few of the Mac folks I know have had such replacement experiences--they may have had an issue here or there (typically taken care of under Apple Care or at an Apple Store), but they have not had to completely replace their Macs or buy a couple of replacement computers in just a couple of years.

We sit here with a 10-year-old iBook G4 that still runs like a charm (although it requires turning off Flash and, occasionally, one wishes the Internet were faster). We also have a 6-year-old MacBook Pro that, with Snow Leopard, runs fantastically well--no complaints there save the obvious ones of hot laptop, noisy fan, and battery now expiring (but user-replaceable).

I wonder if, of the numbers of individuals replacing their PCs that frequently, would not have done so if there were a comparable service for them similar to Apple's Genius Bar. In fact, when I purchased a new laptop this year, I went with Apple only because of the service you get with the Genius Bar.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Why are they understandable? You can upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

I know that they can upgrade. But Snow Leopard is a harden group of Mac users that will not upgrade past Snow Leopard because certain features were eliminated and features people thought were too much like iOS were added. Lion and Mountain Lion have no diehard fans like Snow Leopard.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I wonder if, of the numbers of individuals replacing their PCs that frequently, would not have done so if there were a comparable service for them similar to Apple's Genius Bar. In fact, when I purchased a new laptop this year, I went with Apple only because of the service you get with the Genius Bar.
I thought Microsoft wanted to launch "premium PC" brick-and-mortar stores copied from Apple's design. Have they done so?

Non-Mac laptops are usually much less expensive thanks to razor-thin margins, tons of trial versions of crapware, and of course, few support.

While one can't conclude anything about particular brands, there's surely a relationship with machine price.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
can Mavericks make it to 60% ?

Before 10.10 comes out ?
Chitika is not the only analytics company tracking OS X usage, as GoSquared continues to maintain its tracker offering a real-time look at the distribution of OS X versions appearing on its network of sites. GoSquared is seeing an even higher rate of adoption for Mavericks of around 48 percent, with a similar even split of the three previous versions all around 15-16 percent.
Looking at the GoSquared numbers for the last 24 hours...
https://www.gosquared.com/mavericks/#day
...10.9 is running at ~55%, 10.7 and 10.8 both around 13-14%, and 10.6 at about 17-18%.

If you compare this to the Chitika figures it looks as though the 10.6 figures are stable, but there's been a fair number of 10.7>10.9 and even more 10.8>10.9 upgrades.

Of course both GoSquared and Chikita's statistics are simply measuring web traffic and therefore tell us bugger all about adoption rates.

A more significant measure would be "how many Macs capable of running [version] are actually running [that version]?".

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
these are just stats....

when 10.10 comes out we'll see the same stats too..

I always take these with a grain of salt...... a big grain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.