OS X on multiple machines

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by radek42, Aug 22, 2013.

1. radek42 macrumors regular

Hi,

Does OSX (ML) licence apply to the computer or App store account. I have free ML upgrade for my Air, but I also have a mini. Can I install on both?

Thanks, R>

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes. The license covers all of your Macs.

3. radek42 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good! Thanks, R>

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

App Store purchases for private use do. A "free Mountain Lion upgrade", for example if you purchased one Mac just before Mountain Lion was released, probably doesn't.

On the other hand, I doubt that Apple cares much about that as long as you pay good money for their hardware.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

I purchased a Mac before the release of ML and have gotten a free license (it's actually a redeem code for ML in the MAS). That license is the normal MAS one so I'm entitled to run it on each Mac I control or own. The Macs that come with ML are not the MAS version and are bound to that machine only (it's the preinstalled copy). You are not allowed to use it for virtualisation or to run it on other Macs. If I recall correctly it also won't show up on the purchases tab in the Mac App Store (the people who've gotten a free license will see it there). This is also clearly stated in the OS X license agreement (sections 2A, 2B and 2C).