OS X on Titanium Powerbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by optimus prime, Jul 31, 2007.

1. optimus prime macrumors regular

ok, so my girlfriend has recently acquired a titanium powerbook from her brother. i want to install OS X on it but im not sure if i have the right discs. i have the discs that came with my macbook pro and not the retail version. my discs are grey and i think the discs i need are black. is that true?

also what kind of ram does that computer use? i need to upgrade the ram.

2. astrostu macrumors 6502

I can't exactly answer your first question. But I can tell you that on my old TiBook (500 MHz), it could run OS X up to 10.3. For some reason I couldn't get 10.4 on it.

Try using MacTracker (see VersionTracker to obtain it). IT will tell you what type of RAM you need. For example, on the GigE model, it uses PC133, 3.3V, 144-pin SO-DIMMs.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It uses PC133 144-pin SODIMM. Only a black X OS X installer disc will work on your laptop unless you find the original discs that came with it. The grey discs that come with Apple hardware are machine specific installers.

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The disks that came with the Intel Mac won't install on PPC based Powerbooks. You will need the retail version of OS-X (or, if the machine shipped with OS-X, those original disks). I have the latest version (10.4.10) running great on a 667MHz DVI TiBook.

It uses PC-133 144-Pin SO-DIMM. (check out MacTracker or Apple Support for more info)

5. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

thanks everyone.

when i get leopard in october, can i install it on multiple computers? or only on one?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Apple sells family (5-license) versions of the installer discs. Not that Apple prevents you from installing OS X on multiple Macs...

7. optimus prime thread starter macrumors regular

damn, thanks for the great info guys!

i love this message board, so quick and informative replies.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I live in Forum Spy.