OS X: SL (Noob questions)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ^^ CoolMacLover, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ^^ CoolMacLover macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Hello all! I have a few questions before I upgrade my OS X: L to SL. :D Can't wait.

Here are my questions!

#1. Using OS X: L I have 4 GB of ram, how much of that does L use? Will SL use all of it?

#2. If I run in 64 Bit... Ill still be able to run all the none 64 bit made apps right? (I know noobie question)

#3. is there a list, made up by users here or other sites, that tell me programs that wont work in SL. (Eg. Magnifique)

#4. What is better, to upgrade or do a full install?

OTHER QUESTIONS:

#1. How much ram can i put into my 24" iMac? (brought may this year)

2. mac2x macrumors 65816

:) You will never use that much RAM all at once unless you have an app that uses that much. It's plenty for normal use.

There's no need to boot into the x86_64 kernel...you can still run all the 64 bit processes on top of the 32 bit kernel just like Leopard. I would guess that you would run into problems with any app that isn't a 32/64 bit intel binary. [edit] I'm not so sure of that, now... And there are other driver troubles that can crop up under the 64 bit kernel.

I think there is, but I don't know it offhand. ;)

I'd go for a clean install; but that's just me. I'm planning on getting a new HDD for my MBP when I upgrade and keeping the Leopard HDD around, intact.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

#1 - 4GB should be fine, for most things. From my own observations, SL uses a tad more RAM, but nothing major.

#2 - By "running 64-bit", I assume you are talking about the kernel's mode. It's irrelevant to which mode apps are run in. It only applies to the kernel and anything using kernel extensions (usually, very few are used). Running "out of the box", in 32-bit mode, you can run either 64-bit applications or 32-bit applications. Most Apple apps included with SL are 64-bit (except iTunes). For most uses, there is no difference in performance between running 32-bit or 64-bit kernel mode. Don't worry about it - it's doubtful you'll never notice a difference.

#3 - There are lists. I don't have any links handy, so you'll have to google.

#4 - Upgrade. If you have issues after, you can always do a clean install and migrate. "Upgrade" is the most common method and is usually painless. You will find wild and varied opinions on the subject, though.

Other: You can install a maximum of 8GB of RAM (2ea 4GB 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SODIMMs). See your user manual for instructions.

4. ^^ CoolMacLover thread starter macrumors regular

^^ CoolMacLover

Lots of thanks.

=D Thank you both. :D Ill do an upgrade, run in 32. And will be happy =D

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Sounds like a good plan. :)

Enjoy SL!