Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of the OS X Snow Leopard 10A402 beta yesterday, users have been poring over the new version looking for changes. Among the most obvious changes have been a few visual tweaks, although several other enhancements have also been discovered.

- Contextual Dock Menus in List View: Apple has modified the theme of contextual menus within the Dock when using list view. The menus now utilize what some users are calling a "heads-up display" theme of white text on a charcoal background.

102122-dock_list_view.jpg

- Finder Window Slider Button: The new-in-Snow Leopard Finder window slider button for adjusting icon sizes has now taken on a grey color as opposed to the standard blue buttons found elsewhere.

102122-slider_button.png

- Exposé for Multiple Monitors Fixed: Exposé reportedly now functions correctly when using multiple monitors, with windows remaining on their respective monitors in Exposé rather than all being collected on the primary monitor.

- System Responsiveness and Speed: Many users are reporting greater system responsiveness and significant increases in speed. Startup and shutdown times appear to be significantly improved.

- Third-Party Preference Panes: Third-party System Preferences panes reportedly are now functional.

- Battery Life for Notebooks: A number of users have reported their battery life indicators estimating significantly longer run times than under previous Snow Leopard builds. This has not, however, been confirmed in actual battery life tests yet.

- New QuickTime Version: QuickTime X has been upgraded to Build 10.0 (42). There is no word on any visible changes in the new build.

Article Link: OS X Snow Leopard 10A402 Brings Visual Tweaks and Other Enhancements

RobertCraigWils

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
QuickSilver doesn't seem to show preferences still - do I need to uninstall it and reinstall it on top of the new build?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Can't wait. I'm sure we'll see Marble soon. There's hints of it in the iPhone OS, and Snow Leopard is packing a fair few changes to the GUI.

badapple18

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Better battery life!!! holy crap i'm allready getting over 7 hours on my 13" mbp!!!!!!!! the other day i forgot to take my power adapter to work and i made it through the whole day with light to moderate use, i was tickled pink!!!!

trapper.John

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Battery condition???

Has anyone else lost the battery condition... mine was saying that i needed to get it check out but it have since disappeared...

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Better battery life!!! holy crap i'm allready getting over 7 hours on my 13" mbp!!!!!!!! the other day i forgot to take my power adapter to work and i made it through the whole day with light to moderate use, i was tickled pink!!!!

That's great, I had heard some people were reporting 5 hours max, so now I kinda want the 13" again...

And yeah. To snow leopard, or just get a new 13" Macbook... what to do, what to do....

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

Thats really awesome! Love SL with every new seed more and more, Ill be happy to spend 29 bucks for this awesomest OS I've ever seen!

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
That's great, I had heard some people were reporting 5 hours max, so now I kinda want the 13" again...

And yeah. To snow leopard, or just get a new 13" Macbook... what to do, what to do....

Yeah, that makes me think about gettin 13'' Macbook, we will see, when SL comes officially..who knows, may they tune it up to 8 hours..:rolleyes:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
That new menu is giving hope to Marble. I really hope we see it.

I'd like the customization level of OS 9, although I doubt we'll see that.

I'm tired of the mix of Aqua and newer neutral colors. Just make the highlight in that menu and it'll look perfect. One thing I don't want however, is the flattened scroll bars.

mrtekkid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2006
I have grown entirely sick of the Aqua look. The first thing that I did with my new Mac was mod out the Aqua scroll bars for the iTunes scroll bars throughout the entire OS. It feels more uniform now that the brush metal look is finally gone too.

I think the iTunes scroll bars and/or the marble look would be awesome.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
Looks like Apple has a winner on their hands. With each beta release Snow Leopard gets closer to a finished state. I look forward to the release version!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Finder Window Slider Button: The new-in-Snow Leopard Finder window slider button for adjusting icon sizes has now taken on a grey color as opposed to the standard blue buttons found elsewhere.

erm... it has taken on the exact slider as iPhoto. And carries out the resize function as in iPhoto. So, no, its not different from the sliders found elsewhere which provide this function.

Talk about desperate to find something new. Slow news day??

Jeeeeees

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

It says better battery life compared to earlier builds of Snow Leopard, not that it improves battery life in general. Not to say that it won't, but that isn't what this article is saying.

bfChris

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2007
Fix Exposé back - PLEASE!

:eek: OH NO! They "fixed" Exposé? That's TERRIBLE!

1. We want all our windows to come together on one screen! It's supposed to be a shortcut so we don't have to look all over the place for our windows.
  2. When a second monitor is absent for mechanical or portable reasons (especially an issue with MB/MBP), when an application has placed its windows on the absent monitor, Exposé as it is in Leopard allows their retrieval!

I pray that they make this "fix" reversible!! It's one of the reasons I hate that my Powerbook can't have Leopard (because I have a terrible time keeping a problem program's windows where I can get to them when I travel). :mad:

Chris
Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo
TiBook 667 MHz

deadjoe2002

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
I have grown entirely sick of the Aqua look. The first thing that I did with my new Mac was mod out the Aqua scroll bars for the iTunes scroll bars throughout the entire OS. It feels more uniform now that the brush metal look is finally gone too.

I think the iTunes scroll bars and/or the marble look would be awesome.

What program are you using to do this?

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
I like the look of the Dock contextual menu list view but I don't get the references to a HUD. Because it's semi-transparent? I thought the old view was also semi-transparent. Can anyone explain this?

davegregoire

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2008
Dock Function Tweak

You can now minimize into the dock icon with the new build. There is a new option in dock preferences that allows you to collapse into the icon like windows 7. No more open window apps on the ride side of the dock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.