Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I'll confirm this. I just started the download and install of the 10.1.4 update (all 2.2MB of it :) ). Looks like improved hardware support as well as PPP stability among other updates.

Not bad for it's small size :D.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
Doesn't seem like a very major update.... could mean that they're holding back a lot of features for an imminent release of 10.2?

Still, an update is an update, and every little helps :)

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: OS X v10.1.4 Update Available

ah, updates are nice. The system seems to be starting up remarkably faster, but that could be the 128 meg extra RAM i just plunked in. Looking forward to the PPP reliability...

true it's a small update, but it's still something :)

pnw

Oh, incidently, when I started up it told me Vanity Dockling might not work anymore... no such problems yet, but it might have to go...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
This could be the last update before 10.2, or paving the way for 10.2 at either WWDC or MWNY.

Another time where good things come in small packages :D

mojobreakfast

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2002
This update is a small one (2.2mb).

The new kernel version is 5.4 and sports an April 10th build date.

No problems on my TiBook 667.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Feature list?

Anyone have a feature list of whats updated in this release?

I can't find one anywhere!

Matthew

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
This is what it says:

fairly boring.. but an update nonetheless:

Update 10.1.4 delivers improved networking, security, and additional disc recording device support. Specific enhancements include:

Disc Recording Devices:
– Updated and new support for Fast 10 SCSI drives, including the Pioneer 201 drive.
– Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices.

Networking Improvements:
– Dial-up connections over PPP are more reliable and system responsiveness has been improved.
– Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes.
– Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) services can be browsed on networks with 3Com routers.

Security Update:
– BSD-based TCP/IP connections now check and block broadcast or multicast IP destination addresses.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
damn...this always happens when I'm at work and my TiBook is nowhere near me...

it's ok...I'll check it out tonite...

anyone see any other significant improvements??

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Serial Kernal Extension

Does this in anyway replace the AppleSCCSerial.kext inside the /System/Extensions folder? If it does, this could be the PPP solution, but I don't want to disturb the kernal extension replacement (which works like a dream) that I set there to stop my dial - up hang. Can anyone verify what I'm talking about? aka is the version number on AppleSCCSerial.kext different from 1.2.1? Thanks in advance.

maclamb

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2002
Northern California
10.14 update - No Mouse for Classic Apps

My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.
Have tried this with Phototshop and Lotus Notes.

All working fine under 10.1.3

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem?

Synk

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2001
UK
seems ok, but trust M$ to Break IE ;-((((((

GRRRR this makes me really mad.. I download the os update and I get a update to IE 5.1 a "security" update they say ... lo and behold my browser crashes every time I go to my bank and it goes to run an ASP command.. now I cannot access my account any more .. thanks a lot bill..

on the apple side however everything looks just dandy ..

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
grrrrr! it changed the ownership of my apps folder >_<
i had to change it back so I could run seti via the terminal

robotrenegade

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2002
Greenville,SC
OS X 10.1.4

""My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem?""

I have seen this too. But, stop using classic. I just got Photo Shop 7.0 and it rocks. It has to be the best update in any software. The only update I really need now is Dreamweaver MX and Director MX.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Re: 10.14 update - No Mouse for Classic Apps

Originally posted by maclamb
My mouse (cursor) disappears when I click on a classic app.

Now mouse is gone.
Anyone have similar problem?
Nope, everything works fine under classic for me.

I think this update was probably unplanned. I'd say they were hoping to have 10.2 ready for the 12 month anniversary but since it will be so long, they've given us a tiny update to keep us happy until 10.2.

I remember the good ol' days back when there was an update every other week. (Way back 12 months ago!)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I knew it. The update was going to fix dial-up problems.

I will try out 10.1.4 when Apple posts the Combo Update on their website. That way, I don't need to update another G4 system to 10.1.1, then 10.1.2, then 10.1.3, then 10.1.4 :)

Although it will fix my dial-up problems, it won't make the hefty download (probably 40MB) go much faster.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
Re: Serial Kernal Extension

Originally posted by Billicus
Does this in anyway replace the AppleSCCSerial.kext inside the /System/Extensions folder? If it does, this could be the PPP solution, but I don't want to disturb the kernal extension replacement (which works like a dream) that I set there to stop my dial - up hang. Can anyone verify what I'm talking about? aka is the version number on AppleSCCSerial.kext different from 1.2.1? Thanks in advance.

I said thanks in advance because I figured someone with 10.1.4 would check. Please, would someone check for me?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
madamimadamtimallen, I have the .bin file version of the Combo Update to 10.1.3, and it is 38.4MB. Considering that things are nice and compressed with .sit and .bin files the extra 2.2MB with 10.1.4 alone may only be, maybe, 1.8 or 1.9MB. So that total will come out to be a little more than 40 for the .bin file.

I don't usually save the .dmg files. They are too large. I save the .bin.

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Serial Kernal Extension

Originally posted by Billicus

I said thanks in advance because I figured someone with 10.1.4 would check. Please, would someone check for me?

I did not know what you were talking about but, after opening the System Extensions there is the file "AppleSCCSerial.kext".

It's version number is now 1.2.2

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
madamimadamtimallen, I have the .bin file version of the Combo Update to 10.1.3, and it is 38.4MB. Considering that things are nice and compressed with .sit and .bin files the extra 2.2MB with 10.1.4 alone may only be, maybe, 1.8 or 1.9MB. So that total will come out to be a little more than 40 for the .bin file.

I don't usually save the .dmg files. They are too large. I save the .bin.

My appologies, I use the software update.... then again, why are squirming over 2Mb here and 3Mb there out of 40Mb, let's be a little more grown up... I have retracted my earlier comments.

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
Pismo Okay....

It's fine on my Pismo PowerBook. Has anyone else had this problem...When I launch a classic app, typically Photoshop, the menus are gone. Nothing there. I have to quit and relaunch and then everythings okay. I can't figure out if, when or why, or if I'm doin' something at the time it happens. It still happens with 10.1.4

Yeah, I know, I should get Photoshop 7.....I've gotta convince my wife first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.