Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

OS 9 Classic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Yosemite on iMac Late 2006 working

I successfully got Yosemite 10.10 working on a iMac Late 2006 :) but there is no sound and the Graphics Card (Ati Radeon X1600 128mb) is only seen as 5mb :confused: but the speed is Good and Safari runs faster then OS X Lion Safari and everything is working correctly :p So can anybody help with the graphic card issue and sound :apple:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I successfully got Yosemite 10.10 working on a iMac Late 2006 :) but there is no sound and the Graphics Card (Ati Radeon X1600 128mb) is only seen as 5mb :confused: but the speed is Good and Safari runs faster then OS X Lion Safari and everything is working correctly :p So can anybody help with the graphic card issue and sound :apple:

Hi,

Instructions for regaining Sound and adding your Graphics Card Kexts are in Post 1. If you need any help please feel free to ask.

OS 9 Classic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Hi,

Instructions for regaining Sound and adding your Graphics Card Kexts are in Post 1. If you need any help please feel free to ask.
I Do need some help were do i start, I do have Copys of OS X Lion and Snow Leopard if those are needed.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I Do need some help were do i start, I do have Copys of OS X Lion and Snow Leopard if those are needed.

Hi,
  • If you installed OSXH then there should be a 'OS X Hackers Patch Files' folder in your Applications.
  • There find the kextATIX1600.zip and extract it.
  • Open the KextUtility.app by dropping all of the files inside this extracted folder to it. Also drop in the AppleHDA.kext
  • reboot
  • Boot into Single User Mode (Hold Command-S after hearing the bong sound)
  • enter: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
  • reboot again normally

OS 9 Classic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Hi,
  • If you installed OSXH then there should be a 'OS X Hackers Patch Files' folder in your Applications.
  • There find the kextATIX1600.zip and extract it.
  • Open the KextUtility.app by dropping all of the files inside this extracted folder to it. Also drop in the AppleHDA.kext
  • reboot
  • Boot into Single User Mode (Hold Command-S after hearing the bong sound)
  • enter: sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
  • reboot again normally
I do not have OSXH :( could you provide a link:apple:

OS 9 Classic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Bugs

I have some bugs to report, Like when icons bounce on the Dock there icon glitches when it hits the line, Could not screen shot it cause when i do the glitch corrects itself. Also when booting into Yosemite i cannot login to desktop because when i type the password and click the login button it continuously loads with the colorful spinning wheel and i would have to force shut down and when i do so the next time i turn it on the Power Failure screen comes up and says something about if i don't click anything for 1 minute it will continue to load normally but the count down does not start and the colorful spinning wheel appears and continuously loads :confused: :( Also when moving a folder fast across the screen the folder icon glitches and then reappears where ever the mouse pointer ended up... Also can i post videos on this forum page of the error that i encounter because a screenshot cannot capture it.

Attachments

• Specs.png
    Specs.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,194
Last edited:

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Also when booting into Yosemite i cannot login to desktop because when i type the password and click the login button it continuously loads with the colorful spinning wheel and i would have to force shut down and when i do so the next time i turn it on the Power Failure screen comes up and says something about if i don't click anything for 1 minute it will continue to load normally but the count down does not start and the colorful spinning wheel appears and continuously loads :confused:

I know this behavior from the Yosemite Public Beta 4. The workaround was to immediately turn on the Auto-Login in the System Preferences pane 'Users & Groups' when the Desktop appears for the 1st time after the Yosemite installation.

The described graphics glitches are normal due to the missing graphics Kexts as well as OpenCL/GL Frameworks. Appropriate files in an experimental Beta status can be found in this Thread in Post #398.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
OSXH v1.2 Beta 2

Here is OSXH update v1.2 Beta 2. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
  • Fixed the JavaScript Error that was previously shown in Beta 1
    [*]
    OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
  • Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite or Mavericks)
  • Supports French Language.
  • Now better detects whether your Mac meets the requirements as stated in Post 1.
  • Includes New Kexts for Bluetooth

Coming soon in the next Build(s):
  • Mountain Lion Patch
  • LeopardAssist for 10.5
  • BootCamp Patch for Windows 8

Developer Focus Areas:
  • Photos for Mac if installing 10.10.3
  • OpenGL Framework
  • MacPostFactor Bug Fixes since apparently Wayne is done.
  • Wifi/Bluetooth Connectivity Issues

Don't be concerned that this version is 167.2 MB when the previous build was 183 MB. That's just how the compiler works. Nothing was removed.

When this is done testing, it might be the last 'significant' update to this manual OSXH installer. We are working on an alternative to MacPostFactor that will automate OS X 10.9, 10.10, and soon 10.11 installation for all models.

Download Link

Last edited:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Macpostfactor 0.2b2 coming later this week. This update will fix the ppc redirection issue and the glitch that prevents some Mac Mini 1,1 users from being able to install OS X.
OS X Hackers will be down for maintenance on Thursday February 19, 2015. Downloads might be affected.

Update: OS X Hackers should be slowly coming back online in many locations. We are still preparing the backend for future updates and building of the next OSXH successor. Thank you for your patience. OSXH 1.2 beta 3 will arrive later today with Leopard support.

Last edited:

OS 9 Classic

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2015
Reporting some Bugs

I have had some success running OS X Yosemite on a iMac Late 2006 unsupported.. I ran Xcode 6 Beta with little issue, The only major issue with Yosemite is the lack of Graphic Card Acceleration (if the Graphics where to be fixed then, Yosemite would be pretty decent on the unsupported macs)..... Also Notes has a strange bug where the white page will flicker uncontrollably.. And i cannot change the User Account Pictures because the Pictures Do Not Appear :eek:

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Here is OSXH update v1.2 Beta 3. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
  • OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
  • Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite or Mavericks)
  • Now better detects whether your Mac meets the requirements as stated in Post 1.
  • Mountain Lion AutoPatcher Beta (May not work on some models)
  • LeopardAssist for 10.5

Developer Focus Areas:
  • General Reliability
  • OpenGL Framework
  • X1600 Kext Related Issues

Download Size: 269 MB

When this is done testing, it might be the last 'significant' update to this manual OSXH installer. We are working on an alternative to MacPostFactor that will automate OS X 10.9, 10.10, and soon 10.11 installation for all models.

Download Link

Feb 24, 2015: Anyone Interested in joining OS X Hackers?

Last edited:
Reactions: starskream1990

im_to_hyper

macrumors 65816
Aug 25, 2004
Pasadena, California, USA
Fantastic news and glad to hear this is working will! Need any hardware for testing? I could pick up an iMac with nVidia 7300GT pretty soon here and ship it off to you as a loan... Or do some testing for you!!

Here is OSXH update v1.2 Beta 3. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
  • OpenGL Beta Patches for Developers Only (You have been warned if you decide to use these).
  • LeopardAssist for 10.5

Developer Focus Areas:
  • General Reliability
  • OpenGL Framework

Download Size: 269 MB

Download Link

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Yosemite usb install drive not booting

I am on l late 2006 iMac and I am trying to install Yosemite with the guide on post 1 but I never get passed the apple boot screen with no spinning wheel. When I try to boot in verbose, it gets stuck here. Is there an explanation for this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 375

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
I am on l late 2006 iMac and I am trying to install Yosemite with the guide on post 1 but I never get passed the apple boot screen with no spinning wheel.

Take the Boot.efi from this Post (Piker-Alpha version). Maybe you have currently the (old) Tiamo-version of the Boot.efi for Mavericks.

srihari83

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
Full graphics acceleration with legacy cards on OS X 10.9, 10.10???!

I notice this page too, among others introduces installing Yosemite 10.10 on older macs with legacy based cards (Intel GMA series - x3100/945/965 etc).. Does this mean it's just a guide for people trying to figure things out?? Or does anyone actually see full graphics acceleration on these older cards?? So far the only 64-bit kexts for these cards are from a 10.6.2 beta update that's usually modded to run on 10.9/10.10.. but barely works.. Anyone see success??

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Full graphics acceleration with legacy cards on OS X 10.9, 10.10???!

Anyone see success??

No, not really. The Kexts seem to work (Framebuffer), but not the OpenCL/GL Frameworks from Post #414 (Yosemite Finder quits unexpectedly after Boot). At least on my ATI X1600 ....

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
OSXH update v1.2 Beta 4

Here is OSXH update v1.2 Beta 4. It is for Developers and people who can diagnose their Macs if something goes wrong.

This update includes:
• Ability choose which version of OS X they want patches for (Yosemite, Mavericks, or Mountain Lion)
• LeopardAssist for 10.5
• Improvements to OS X Mountain Lion AutoInstaller

Developer Focus Areas:
• Installing OS X Mountain Lion
• General Reliability
• OpenGL Framework
• LeopardAssist

Download Size: 270 MB

Beta 2 is now considered a stable release on the site and post 1.

Download Link

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
No, not really. The Kexts seem to work (Framebuffer), but not the OpenCL/GL Frameworks from Post #414 (Yosemite Finder quits unexpectedly after Boot). At least on my ATI X1600 ....

You are asking about the giant elephant in the room that nobody likes to talk about.

It is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY that a few hackers sitting around taking potshots at fixes are ever going to be able to solve this.

That being said, I think the 10.8 band-aid package sorta works.

I will type it here, in my option, the ONLY "unsupported" Mac that can comfortably run 10.9 and 10.10 is the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1, and even that requires a new GPU. Sadly, the level of honesty regarding this major stumbling block is somewhat disappointing. There may be some iMacs that have replaceable GPUs that could be fixed via a GPU upgrade, but almost no work of that type has been done. Apple made them enough of a PITA to work on to keep most of them together, all the way to the e-recycling center.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Update to 10.10.3?

Hi I am currently on 10.10, is it safe to update to 10.10.3 (with Photos.app beta)?

Kishtel

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
Upgrade 10.10.3

I was hoping to the end, but UNFORTUNATELY after upgrading 10.10.3 public beta (14D87p) on my Macbook 4,1 (Intel GMA X3100) except the "Wow-New-Photo-App" effect, there are extremely many graphic lags such freezes and visual bug frames, i.e. when to move Finder window. It can't be print screened to show you and I don't like it at all. Os X system speed and stability are ok.
P.s. I DO believe that it will be improved in 10.10.3 Public Release

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.