OS X Yosemite Theme UI Elements

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Altemose, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Altemose, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Hello. I am working on making a OS X Yosemite theme for Leopard only to build on top of Gavin Stubbs' fantastic CandyBar theme and AQUADock's Mountain Leopard theme.

I am having a bit of trouble locating the traffic light buttons in the top left of every window. Perhaps you would know where these files are located?

Thanks for the help in advance, and I hope I can make a great theme!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

On later versions of Mac OS X, I believe they are located in one of the bin files in /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources. I don't know if Leopard has those files are not.

3. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I have heard that they are also in a .bin file on Leopard. Does that file have special permissions to which I could not simply use a copy of my .bin file in the installer?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It should have standard root:wheel permissions.

5. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'n not sure if artFileTool works in Leopard. If so this would do it.

7. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I will look into it.

8. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Just... um... WOW! I hope you succeed. This would be fantastic. Is it possible for you to check out the Mountain Leopard Theme to see where the files are, or reach out to AQUADock to maybe get an insight into the locations?

9. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I definitely plan on getting in contact with him. I am going to do a fresh Leopard install on one of the PowerBooks so I have a test bed since my G5 is tied up doing yearbook duty at school and I cannot afford to mess that up and start fresh.

10. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

No, no no! Don't mess with the G5! That's an awesome setup you have going on there at school. Don't jinx it! You know what be cool to use, especially with a Yosemite theme??

G4-upgraded Pismo with 1GB, SSD and Leopard. Yup. I said it, and just dared you to make that a reality ;-)

11. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

Working on it over the Christmas break! The biggest clincher will be getting those files opened and properly configured.

12. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

Here is my big hitch. The program necessary to work with the ArtFiles is only compatible with 10.5 and 10.6 running on an Intel machine. I looked to find an older PowerPC compatible version, but my search was fruitless. If anyone has a ThemePark 3 file, please PM me!

If I do not get any hits with ThemePark 3, I will have to Hackintosh a Dell Latitude with Snow Leopard to run the software. My MacBook Pro cannot even run Snow Leopard or Leopard in virutalization software like Parallels or VirtualBox due to the Ivy Bridge processor.

I want to put a big thank you out there for Intell, gavinstubbs09, and AQUADock who have helped me so far and a thank you to eyoungren for offering to design some elements if necessary!

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I PMed you.

Version 3.1, posted here for anyone else who may want it: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1932210/themepark-31.dmg

Just a bit of Google digging. ;)

14. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

A major roadblock is that 3.1 cannot open the Yosemite files and 4.1 does not run on 10.7-10.10 or PPC. I would need an Intel machine running 10.5 or 10.6 which unfortunately makes all my PPC too old and my MacBook too new to run the software to make the theme. Any ideas?

15. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

You can't run the software from terminal? Also, if I have time today, I can downgrade a white book back to SL, its just sitting around, wouldn't be hard.

16. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I do not see a way to get it running. How would we be able to make the theme? Remote access?

17. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hmm, the way I read it was you just needed files to be extracted, I'd just extract and send them to you.

18. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

That sounds like a big project, but just one question, shouldn't it be the other way around? Like, creating a Mavericks theme for Yosemite? :D

19. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

It is a big project. Some like Yosemite, some hate it...

20. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Pointless, those who don't like Yosemite simply stay on Mavericks anyway ;)

Edit: Although it would be interesting to see on newer Macs that come with Yosemite preinstalled.

21. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Well it's always about the features, I hate the iOS 7 design for example but I love all the practical features it has brought me. I just wish it came in the pre iOS 7 design.

22. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm pretty sure thee are iOS 6 themes you can install if you jailbreak.

I actually like the look of Yosemite. Especially the dark theme, which is something I did want really bad on Mavericks. The thin fonts look great on retina and flat icons make sense for modern design.

23. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

"Modern", that's a very vague term, for me it's everything but modern. Modern means evolution, which this is not. You are probably referring to the new trend of making everything flat. :)

But everything that's "modern" usually becomes old very quickly. And everything that happens to be successful, is timeless. No matter if it's a car, a song, or OS X.

24. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

OS X is not timeless because it is constantly changing. But I do agree that everything modern gets old fast, such as the Lucida Grande font and glossy icons. They were modern in 2003 and have now gotten old.

25. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

… yes after 14 years, not 14 days … :)