Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechSurface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Hey Guys,
I have a 13" MacBook Air running OSX El Capitan, and it's not behaving properly of late..
It is lagging a lot, and I see the rainbow wheel of death more than often...
I've tried all things to resolve it (Resetting PRAM/SMC, Reistalling OS, Wiping the Hard drive clean, and even changing it's battery and buying a new charger) but all of them didn't work...

This is a bullet-list of what is wrong in my mac off late...
1) The MagSafe Power Adapter's LED indicator is not lighting up once connected to the laptop
2) The sound on MacBook not functioning. It shows a no parking (Circle with a slash in it) symbol if I try to toggle volume controls.
3) Sound preferences in System preferences not opening (Says Preferences Error if I try to open it)
4) Fan running constantly at a high speed
5) Not able to load Users & Groups preferences also (Same symptoms as Sound preferences)

Believe me guys, I tried each and every thing possible, and the solutions for each of the above symptoms on other websites and forums, but all were in vain. Please suggest a possible fix for this or the root of the problem so that I can do something too get it fixed...

Thanks

P.S. I have a gut feeling that this has been about the sound not working all the time.... Please notify if this is right and suggest a solution also....

TechSurface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2016
Download the free application EtreCheck and manually delete old files running away from your "upgrade", then reboot after deleting system files!
Well, I istalled EtreCheck and ran the diagnosis. I isolated the problem to kernel_task, which has been hogging into my memory and causing the system to act sluggish even though there is no problem with it. After a bit of searching, I found this on the web:

"1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info
2. Click on system report
3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier
4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.
3. Restart system"

I performed everything in this, but found a problem at step 4, as I don't have the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file in the Extensions folder....

Please suggest a solution to this.....

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Well, I istalled EtreCheck and ran the diagnosis. I isolated the problem to kernel_task, which has been hogging into my memory and causing the system to act sluggish even though there is no problem with it. After a bit of searching, I found this on the web:

"1. Go to About this mac under the apple in the upper left and click on More info
2. Click on system report
3. make a note of what it says after Model Identifier
4. go to your master drive – System -Library – Extensions – IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext -Contents – Plugins – ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext – Contents – Resources – find the name from step 3 and move it to a folder that you can find again if needed.
3. Restart system"

I performed everything in this, but found a problem at step 4, as I don't have the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext file in the Extensions folder....

Please suggest a solution to this.....

EtreCheck should show you the path to that file!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.