Resolved OSX install from USB won't boot on PC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xtrips, Feb 13, 2016.

1. xtrips macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a perfectly working El Capitan installer on flash drive. I know it works because I installed from it on a MAC mini yesterday.
    I wanted to use it on my PC running Windows 10, a Sony Vaio, in order to install MAC on a an external HDD.
    But no luck, the flash drive just won't boot. My Vaio just ignores it.
    The settings on the Vaio are good because I tried another bootable USB flashdrive (Windows 10 installer).

What can it be?
    I don't know much about MAC. Maybe the file system used on the OSX installer flash drive?
    I prepared it using Yosemite and Diskmaker X.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Besides the file system, the El Capitan installer is probably a GPT partitioned drive and your Vaio can probably only boot off of an MBR partitioned drive.
    Why not use the Mini to create the external drive?

3. chrfr macrumors 603

It's not possible to just install OS X on any random PC. Some specific configurations can work as a "hackintosh" but you can't use the standard OS X installer that way.

4. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

That certainly makes sense.
    So if I completely install a fresh version on an external HDD from a MAC, do you think my Vaio will be able to boot from it?
    Or will I find myself in the same situation because of the filesystem format?

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
    I thought you were trying to install OS X onto an external drive to use with a Mac.
    Why would you want your PC to be able to boot OS X at all?
    If it's for making the Vaio into a hackintosh (something I've been toying with also) then you're looking at some very different procedures and some additional software programs.
    You should probably look at a forum dedicated to hackintosh.

6. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

No you need at a minimum the Fakesmc.kext and a boot loader installed on the key to trick your PC/installer both of them into thinking it is a Mac you are installing on. Google your machine name/model number plus hackintosh to see if anyone has made a guide for it. Otherwise you have many hours of fun ahead trying to cobble together your own solution.

7. xtrips thread starter macrumors newbie

I was clueless but now I am starting to understand a thing or 2 thanks to you.