OSX lion is downloadable only... 2012 mbp hint?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bomino, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Bomino macrumors member

Its a pretty big leap to make a complete operating system only available through the app store. i think this may be a big [indirect] indication that next years mbp line (if it is revamped) will see no ODD.. yeah?

2. KwanMan macrumors regular

This may be but I think the main reason is to force people to use the Mac App Store.

3. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I'm betting your right, I don't need one but I would want an external for burning a music or pic cd ever now and then

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

MacBook Pro without an ODD? Um,... yeah, it's called MacBook Air "the future of notebooks"

Remember the "back to the Mac" event, Apple introduced lion alongside the Macbook Airs and the Mac App Store.

Thus, I don't think that it is an indication to a loss of an ODD in the next gen MBPs. It's just an indication that Apple is moving towards the iOS type App Store model for the Macs.

5. Bomino thread starter macrumors member

ODD is really not the only thing differentiating the air from pro line. There is more space, much better CPUs, GPUs, ports, etc.. so yeah, if your thinking MBP - ODD = MBA on Steroids, then sure, but its hardly just a MBA.

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I reckon the 2012s may have larger trackpads too so that the multi-touch gestures aren't circumscribed as there will be a large amount of new ones (apparently)

7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

What I meant is that MBA will become the MBP - ODD. The next gen Airs will likely offer more than enough power for majority of consumers and thus will become Apple's highest selling laptops. The MBP production, meanwhile, will scale back but still include things like ODD (i.e. it will become more of specialty product for "pro" users; remember, the 17 inch still has express card slot)

8. Dionysus2112 macrumors newbie

There is a distribution philosophy too. Yes the ODD are going the way of the dodos.
    But again this is an extremely cost efficient way to drive customer through the store similar to what Valve does with steam.
    No DVD to press no jewel cases etc.

9. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

i still don't see the optical drive going away for the next few year. I rarely use mine tho and a tried yesterday to burn a dvd but it doesn't work.

10. Bomino thread starter macrumors member

based on the latest rumors and speculation thats been going around, the next generation of MBA's will have IGP which is no where near enough for the power hungry. keep in mind that the airs use LV and ULV CPU's which, again, is not what the power users want, as they are much weaker than standard mobile CPU's. MBP line is for those who want their computer to handle whatever they throw at it, and that is simply not the case with the MBA line. I think you took a different interpretation of the phrase "the future of macbooks." I don't think apple is saying that the MBA will become their primary notebooks, but rather that the future notebooks they release will all be taking characteristics of the MBA line.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

I dont think the announcement has anything to do with the ODD. I think they are separate issues.

In the context of the announcement, Apple was stressing that everything is now moving to the icloud and app store. Lion for download is part of an overall vision routing traffic through these two portals. In this context, having a Lion disc is superfluous.

The ODD does more than just handle Apple media, so even though I don't want or need it, I wouldn't be surprised if it sticks around on the pro models.

12. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Exactly, but those people (including, I presume, you and myself) do not constitute majority of consumers. Majority of consumers do not get a computer so that it "handle whatever they throw at it", they get a computer to do [mostly simple] things that they need. So, what I said previously: that "The next gen Airs will likely offer more than enough power for majority of consumers." still applies here.

I do believe that the Air line will (for the most part) replace the Pro line in terms of laptop sales/revenue for Apple. Otherwise, what would be the point of making Macbook Pro into, essentially, a Macbook Air by taking out an ODD, making it slimmer, etc..? Why would Apple have two essentially non-differentiated notebook lines? That makes zero sense from both a resource and business/marketing perspective.

Apple has said that they see the Macbook Air as "the future of notebooks" - all notebooks. This means that they will work on making the Macbook Air, and not the Macbook Pro, the future of notebooks. This is just like the iMac vs the Mac Pro. Professionals who work in graphic design (producing video game and commercial graphics), those who really "need the power" use Mac Pros. The less "pro" users and home users use iMacs. Simple as that.

13. Bomino thread starter macrumors member

true, however, if you look at the MBA's pricing, it is moderately close to that of the lower end MPB's which still outperform them by a mile. I'd say the biggest selling point of the air is the thinness and weight of it, justifying the hefty price tag. if a buyer is getting something to do the "simple" tasks, the poly MB is more than enough, so why isnt that the main product? ;)

the point would be making the already thin powerhouse even thinner (although i'm not sure removing the ODD would significantly reduce thickness) while maintaining high-end performance. they are different. like i said, MBP is for the power hungry, and MBA is for those who want an ultraportable.

sorry, i couldn't remember if it was "future of notebooks" of "future of macbooks", but i still think we have two different interpretations of it.

hope your not thinking i'm trying to argue. just "discussing" :D

14. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

It's a sign that the optical drives are being phased out. I am definitely looking forward to it. Personally, I don't need it anymore.

15. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I don't understand why people can't just burn the DMG file to a DVD through Disk Utility.. or is it not a DMG file? This must be a solution to the download only thing, no? If not, what the heck do you do when you want to upgrade the HD in your Macbook.

16. Duluth Baptist, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Duluth Baptist macrumors member

Optical drives are phasing out, but not in 2012. And I doubt they will disappear as totally as floppy drives have--they are still an important way to watch media (Apple's cold-shouldering of Blu-Ray aside) and a useful recording device. I think desktops will continue to use them for many years, as well as the higher-end laptops.

When Apple calls the Macbook Air "the future of notebooks," it is casting vision for the future. To me, they are not saying that consumers are going to move to less powerful computers; rather, computers will be able to do more in a much more compact size with far less obtrusive hardware. Thus, in five years your powerful MBPs will be a lot slimmer and need fewer plugs. People buy powerful notebooks, so Apple will continue to sell them.

It makes sense, really; things keep getting smaller and more user-friendly. Five years ago the basic, app-free 2gb touchscreen iPhone was unthinkable--the cutting edge were clunky blackberries with trackballs and actual email. An iPad was science fiction. Five years ago. What kind of notebooks will we be buying in five years? I think they'll run like MBPs and look like MBAs.

17. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I believe it is most definitely designed to force users into the clutches of Apples walled garden. If it wasn't, there would have been an assurance during the Keynote, that physical media would also be a choice for users that didn't want to be restricted to download only.

This is the disrespect that Jobs has for the very people that make him obscenely wealthy.

And people get pissed when he's called a dictator, but it's true. He tells people only what he feels like telling them, when he feels like speaking in one or two words, and leaves the rest hanging and wondering just what _will_ happen.

The fanboys eat it up. The are in awe of his power, his wealth, and his arrogance. Living vicariously through him they are complete.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's probably the most eloquent way i've heard this whole "MBA is teh future" thing be put.

19. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Totally true and I agree completely. But in 5 years (if not sooner) the MBA will have the processing and graphic power of todays 17" MBP. By then the power in a MBA will satisfy all but a small percentage of pro users. The wildcard in all this... what will software need. Will there be some new killer app which needs the power of a maxed out machine which the future MBA, as powerful as it might be, will not be able to supply?

20. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Nah, I'm an open minded individual :D I like a good argument. It seems that we indeed see this differently, nothing to worry about.
    I stand by my argument, although I could be wrong. Time will tell :)

21. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

There are 3 main reasons people ever use the optical drive:

1) (Re)-installing an operating system: i.e. OS X or Windows. The main problem I see with this is that Windows isn't too friendly with installing from an external DVD drive. Despite Apple fanboys hating on Windows, installing Windows is still a great feature for those who need to run that pesky Windows-only program natively. I suspect they're working on that as we speak.

2) Installing the following apps: Office, Photoshop, Final Cut, and Logic. Multi-GB files where downloading the installer isn't feasible for everyone, especially Final Cut (which in it's current form with all it's DVDs is 50GB).

3) Burning a music CD/DVD slideshow.

And with the exception of installing Windows, all are currently solved with either an external SuperDrive (but it would be frequently unused) or using Remote Disc.

22. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Uh - how about watching movies? Until someone has a good model for renting movies on a subscription basis (rather than per movie) that allows viewing w/o internet connectivity an optical drive fills a large need.

23. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

I knew I was forgetting one! It's been 4 years since I've stuck a DVD movie into my MacBook Pro. That's what *cough* DVD rips *cough* are for.

I do really see Apple some day just saying, "We are ditching the optical drive, and in exchange, your battery is going to be 75% larger. If you really need an optical drive to watch a movie or burn a DVD, we'll sell you our SuperDrive for $79. But we think for the vast majority of customers out there that prefer to get their content from iTunes, Hulu, Netflix, etc.etc... they'll greatly appreciate the improved battery life!"

75% more of the quoted 7 hour battery life gives you 12.5 hours of battery. I think you can see why it would be very worthwhile to ditch what is getting less and less used by more and more people.

24. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

And in 5 years mainstream processors will make today's 17" MBP look like a 5 year old core core Duo 2.something machine. As you pointed out; software requirements will probably make them slow a molasses. While I don't doubt the MBA represents the future of notebooks; component technology will have to keep pace or they will always be a slower but smaller option.

25. mark28 macrumors 68000

This is no proof. Because if you want to install OS X, you have to install Snow Leapord ( you need a DVD ) and then upgrade to OS X Lion using App Store.

So in conclusion, you still need a DVD drive in order to install OX Lion.