OSX on Dell, Hp, Asus, Sony.....etc.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marioblackman23, May 30, 2008.

?

Would you use MAC OSX on other OEM's

1. YES

27.8%
  2. NO

72.2%
  1. marioblackman23 macrumors member

Since alot of people may have switched from their windows computers to use OSX on an apple computer, Im Just curious to know if apple made an arrangement to allow their OS to run on other OEM's flawlessly. Would you have sacrificed the look and feel of the MBP, MB, MBA, iMac MACPRO. to use the less expensive versions of other OEMS?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Part of using Mac OS is to no longer having to worry about compatibility.

Using it on a regular PC sort of defeats that purpose.

I have enough worries trying to run Windows on PC's, and that's the OS the system is for... :eek:

3. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

24", 2.4GHz Al iMac here.
    No way in H**L would I go back to a beige box to save a few bucks, even if I could run OS X on it. This beautiful iMac is functional art, my friend. :)
    However, if Apple were to offer this option, I wouldn't have any problems with it. It just wouldn't be for me.
    Morod

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

In a word, no. I appreciate the integration of the hardware and the software the way only Apple does it. Component/OS compatibility problems are non-existent, unless of course you go for some third party component which may present a problem in certain situations. Also, I'm sure this stems a lot from my personal experience, but the hardware reliability is much higher with the Apple systems when compared to HP, Asus, Sony, and ESPECIALLY Dell.
    I can tell you that a lot of it is look and feel for me as well.

I don't know, maybe it's just me. I know I wouldn't make the sacrifice.

5. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I think I would run Mac OSX on another computer to save a couple, unless Apple didn't give it seal of approval

6. marioblackman23 thread starter macrumors member

in the first post i noted that the software would be running flawlessly Meaning no Compatibilty issues with hardware already installed on the computer evrything would be working together just as good as on a Mac. Im not talking about a hacintosh or anything just another OEM's computer set up to run OSX........

I dont think i would trade my MBP for any other PC laptop for anything up to $200 diff i mean the brushed aluminum and style and feel of the MBP is unlike no other. though savings of more than $500 i would serioulsy have to think about it.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

an EEE with OSX would sell even more crazy than they do right now with Linux.

8. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Nay. Nein. Nyet. No.

I tolerate XP because I use it at work and on my game rig for Non-Mac games. I'd rather lick a piece of raw meat than use Vista. In the past 7 months since I bought my iMac, I've rebuilt my Compaq laptop twice and home brew PC 4 times spyware issues and OS freakouts. To the PC lovers, I did rebuild my iMac but that was as part of an upgrade from the stock 320GB to a 750GB hard drive. Call me a sheep but OS X on Apple hardware just works. I like my Macs more than most of pcs. I like my Compaq Presario V2311. I should since I don't have an a Power, i or Mac Book.

CJ

24" Aluminum iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo
    PowerMac G4/400
    PowerMac G3/350
    Perform 6300
    iPod Mini 4GB (green)
    iPod Nano 4GB (silver)

9. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

As a recent switcher back to apple hardware, I would not go for an OEM or clone (even if it were legal). I ran OS X on my PC hardware for a few weeks before making the switch (so;s to ascertain I could do all my tasks before spending the cash), and then almost as soon as I was happy went and purchased a MacBook Air and an Mac Pro.

I have sold my PC (just this monday) and a proud to have apple hardware again. Its the design and out of the box experience I love.

(Just today I picked up a Time Capsule, and the MBA saw it immediately and started the setup routine without me even needing to click - Thats proper design and intergration if you ask me).

I would always use the hackintosh approach on potential converts; but I stress only on those I know will pay up for real apples when they see the light.

Going back to a PC?? Never - fed up with feeling compelled to chase upgrades and fiddle with hardware all the time. Not for me anymore - I like my iFruit :)

10. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I would still buy Apple hardware if OS X was made to run on PCs because of compatibility. An OS is only as good as the hardware running it ;).

11. dal20402 macrumors 6502

An Eee PC would need huge hardware upgrades to run any sort of reasonable OS X install at speeds that normal users would tolerate.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I like Apple hardware. Would still buy their products. Apple makes good computers. The quality really shows when you see them side by side with Dell, HP, etc. offerings.

However, I might be tempted to build a custom PC, because I enjoy doing that, and then put Mac OS X on it.

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They already made one, it's called the MacBook Air and it costs a million times more than the EEE.

14. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude...

Have you been under a rock? This question has been proposed COUNTLESS times and answered countless more (usually with insults thrown in for a little spice).

NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

Mac OS X and Macs are a packaged deal, PERIOD. One wouldn't work nearly as well as it does without the other.

15. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

not true, the new atom processors are comparable to a G4 in OSX. http://netkas.org/?p=63

Thew new atom subnotebooks for around $400 will probably be faster than some powerbook g4's.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No way.

Mac hardware + Mac software makes Mac a Mac. Not just Mac software.

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Exactly. The Mac OS works great with the hardware.

18. timdafweak macrumors 6502

timdafweak

Well apart from the aesthetics, I really couldn't see a difference in performance. XBench scores on the Hackintosh were far better than anything that was available from Apple for a similar price. Kinda made me wistful about buying an iMac till I saw just how much trouble there is updating the OS on a Hackintosh and the fact that maintaining it is just as much work as maintaining a Windoze install. A deal breaker for me - as I like my Hardware to just work! My $0.02.

19. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

..by millions I asume you mean aprox 3.16x (eee @ £329, MBA @ £1040) ;)

20. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

MacBook Air is £1199 and I can pick up an EEE for £219 which is 5.47x less :)

21. dal20402 macrumors 6502

1. The Eee PC is not an Atom.

2. It's not just the processor that's deficient, but both RAM and storage as well. 512 MB is realistically insufficient to run Leopard. 8 GB is certainly insufficient to store it, let alone any user data.

3. Even if it could reach the speed of a PowerBook G4, that is no longer satisfactory in a world where real computers run processors that are four or more times faster (and have enough RAM and disk space to support them).

22. slashjunior macrumors regular

I am going to go against the grain here and say yes. As with all Apple stuff it is the software that ultimately wins me over. Anyone can make pretty hardware (even Sony...) but very few can make software that works well. Windows is good, but for me I just enjoy using OS X so much more. I think a lot more people would start using OS X if it was offered as an option when buying a new PC, it may even turn out to be cheaper than Vista, oh wait, it is cheaper than Vista, my bad! :p

In all seriousness, I think OS X would work great on other hardware. It has a solid foundation and I don't think the marriage between hardware and software is such a big deal. As long as it sticks to Intel it will be fine, unless OS X secretly supports AMD under the hood, which is possible, OS X had Intel compatibility under the hood a while before Intel was even announced. So Apple may have itself covered to switch to another chip manufacturer such as AMD or PowerPC if things turn sour with Intel.

23. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The new EEE's that come out this month will use the Atom. Along with the MSI Wind which will probably dethrone the EEE in popularity since it will be cheaper and have better features (like an 80gb hdd). The memory on all these subnotebooks use regular ddr2 and can be upgraded to 2gbs, so thats not an issue. Also these arent "real" computers, they are more like toys or gadgets, they are plenty fast for their purpose, which is to be super small and cheap while still being able to run a real OS while still being able to use most of the programs you would want to use at home. Theres a huge market for these things, even Dell is coming out with their version.

24. ckurowic macrumors regular

ckurowic

*sigh* I don't think so.