OSX Theme "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neilaveledo, Dec 21, 2011.

1. neilaveledo macrumors newbie

In the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, she uses a Mac with a dark theme appearance skin on OS X Lion, and it looks very cool.

I want to know where to get that dark theme or how to set it up?
    Dark appearance, white letters, very impressive.

N.

2. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

Not seen the movie, is it just the menu bar?

like this?

[​IMG]

that's nocturne..

3. augustshultz macrumors newbie

The theme is really just the max, min, close buttons in each window changed to black, it look very cool. Occasionally the film showed her screen inverted (control+option+command+8), but with the pictures magically retaining color and quality. If any one knows how to black out the min, max, close buttons, please share.

4. jonisign macrumors regular

So, I've been trying to figure this out all day–– my feeling is that it may not be possible in Lion. What I noticed was the windows had a black gradient as opposed to a metallic one that's default and that the gumdrop window buttons were replaced with three horizontal slits. I agree, the effect was quite impressive.

If you notice in the scenes you're talking about the iTunes icon has a green note on it, suggesting an older version of OS X. In previous versions of OS X there was themeing software such as magnifique and shapeshifter. Due to the way that lion writes UI elements to the screen it seems that they can't really be changed until the application launches. There has been one attempt to try and actually change the window appearance after it launches and that's a program called crystalclear interface. This program will actually hijack the UI after it's written and apply a custom theme such as the dark one you're suggesting. The result is not too great since it seems to use a lot system resources and when a new application launches it takes several seconds for the theme to take effect.

Hopefully someone will discover how to get around this limitation and discover a way to find a true themeing solution for OS X lion. If this already exists, I'd love to hear! (I'd rather be wrong about all this!)

5. sethschorr macrumors newbie

Inverted

Nice! That is really helpful with my spreadsheet.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Are you talking about the Original Swedish version or the american remake with Daniel Craig?

Most movies usually show Linux with a theme similar to OS X, since they are not getting advertizing money from Apple.

7. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

Mind sharing you dock theme?

8. sifish222 macrumors newbie

Osx

I thought the Mikael (Daniel Craig)'s dock looked like tiger (2005-2007), and that would fit with an early timestamp on a website dated to 2006 (forgotten details of the site)
    having said that, the macbookpro he was using was clearly unibody, and he was using gestures so that would imply hardware from 2008

the iTunes logo in both docks was last used in iTunes 6, so up until around septemper 2006, and the iPhoto was earlier than 07 I'd say, but he was still using the gestures to navigate photos

Id say that Mikael was either running Tiger on a new MBP with a multi-touch driver installed, or (more likely) a modified version of lion with a load of backdated apps, and a load of UI modifications...

I think.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

In the Swedish version - I saw a blue Apple icon in the top left. So it's no newer than Tiger. ;)

p.s. Utterly disappointed that this film is being remade... I feel the Swedes did things right, and all 3 films were outstanding.

Refuse to watch the remakes.... just like the remaining 2 Matrix films... :p

10. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

the tinted part is just geektools for date and stuff, the weather is widescape weather a yahoo widget, and the dock was I think just used tinkertool to disable the 3d glass effect, you can also move it to other places as well with tinker tool.

11. trhgc macrumors newbie

I was wondering what you used to customize the dock or how you got that look in the image you posted.

Thanks!

12. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Altough the original swedish movie trilogy was released in 2009 and now the americans are copying it, the series is a novel adaptation. The books were released in 2005, 2006 and 2007, and the setting of the story probably was the "present", wich means around 2005/2007. The movies both swedish and american therefore will try to use technology from that era in order to set the time period. Some mistakes of course may happen, as the introduction of touch moves in the macbook, altough they werent invented yet.

BTW, I tought the swedish movie was boring as hell, with a stupid conclusion. The photography of the american version appeared to be insanelly superior, I may check it just to see this.

A better movie recomendation is "The Ghost Writer"

13. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

tinkertool

14. thenathanator macrumors newbie

Research software in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo?

Along the same lines, does anyone know what the research/spreadsheet software Lisbeth used in the movie is?

15. nazedayo macrumors member

Dekard, can you help me out with the geek tool script for adding that widget into your dock?

16. Dekard macrumors 6502

Dekard

The only thing I did was use tinkertool to center my dock and get rid of the glass effect. Not sure really what you are asking for.. r

I then used a blank geektool property windows to create a black window with the opacity at 75-80% and stretched it long enough to cover both sides of the screen.

17. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

mlovergaard

Don't want to hijack this thread, but does anyone know which application they used for the case files, when Lisbeth is telling Mikael about the murders, I really liked the way it looked.

18. Hazael macrumors newbie

19. ratboy90 macrumors 6502

ratboy90

Does anyone know what image software lisbeth was using? I've never seen it before but it could've been preview with some kind of skin applied

20. jigelu Guest

OMG finally!

Hi friends I finlly found the name of th software that Lisbeth used in the movie is openoficce 2.0 (like excell, but color in gray) and X11 xD (a) I`m so smart

21. geohatz macrumors newbie

Here is what the theme used on Lisbeth's laptop looks like. I doubt that sort of tweaking is possible on Lion but hope to be proven wrong.

Attached Files:

22. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

23. Tortolini macrumors newbie

Nobody any idea? I whould really like to use this theme, it is on the macbook G4 and the later model in the movie (2011)
    [​IMG]

24. animatedude macrumors 65816

David Fincher stated the movie is set in pre-iPhone but i find it very shocking and annoying they make the mistake of including a unibody MacBook Pro although the movie is set in 2006! That's a huge mistake!

25. Dramadeur macrumors newbie

Tortolini, reduce image resolution in your post, its width extends the boundary of the width of horizontal line of this page :)

I guess we can excuse him for making it up by semi-nude scenes with Rooney :)