OT: Best high speed internet - AT&T U-Verse or Time Warner Cable?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TH55, Oct 21, 2015.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

Sorry, I searched thoroughly for the proper subforum and could not find it. Mods can feel free to move it if necessary.

I currently have Time Warner Cable TV and Internet and want to cut the cable. Looking for the best internet for the money. I didn't realize there were different technologies used. Which is better, and how much do I need? All I really do is browse the web on my phone using wifi. The only time I use my desktop is to download movies and music. I believe I currently have about 15 megs. I also occasionally game on Xbox live. Thanks!

2. ripper998 macrumors regular

depends on area. Uverse is rolling out gigapower to combat Google fiber but its limited. DSL (Uverse) is dedicated to the box, cable you share with others but have a faster top speed usually. I have uverse and it suits me fine. We prefer the TV service.

3. smarks90 macrumors regular

I've had both. TWC is pretty reliable. AT&T U-verse 48Mbps tier internet was also great. I didn't care for the fact that AT&T makes it difficult to use a third party router with their modem/router dual unit. TWC doesn't give a crap about this or make it a hindrance to do so.

4. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Is speed based entirely on mb?

5. eNcrypTioN macrumors 6502

I live in NC and had time warner for about 2 months. Had to drop them because my cable and Internet kept going out. After about 8 unsuccessful service calls and overall incompetence I ditched them for U-Verse. Overall, U-Verse is great but TWC had much faster internet when it did actually work. YMMV

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

U-Verse was great when I had it at my old place. We're supposed to be getting it soon where I live now, and I'm excited about dropping cable.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will vary depending on what area you are in. Give each a try where you are at.

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Is FIOS available? If it was, hands down that's the option I'd use.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The newer gateways can be more easily configured to work with a third party router. I have an Airport Extreme connected to mine. It's basically created two separate networks - the AT&T gateway handles traffic for my set top boxes, and the AP handles everything else.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn