Other available or planned smart watches for iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mig1985, Dec 12, 2014.

1. mig1985 macrumors newbie

hi there,

im just wondering which smartwatches are available already or planned for iphones?

as far as i know we have: pebble, pebble steel, kreyos und hot watch. (only black / white display)
    announced: kairos and omate x.

br,
    michael

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This should have been posted or moved to the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum.

3. mig1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey julien,

sorry for wrong placement...

i spend some more time in researching for other smartwatches and came up with this missing in the list above: meta watch, im watch, vachen smartwatch.

br,
    michael

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you think so, report the thread. It's not like the OP can move it himself.

5. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

The pebble to the apple watch is like an eBook reader to a small tablet. One has a more fuller experience with colourful graphics but battery is in the hours with heavy usage and the other although apparently inferior actually has incredibly long battery and does the main task of that device better - whether that be reading the paper or a book on the move or telling the time. Colour e-ink could be very interesting.

6. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

If you think the main task of a smart watch is to tell time then you're probably not the target market.

7. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

Well I would be fairly disappointed if a watch didn't tell the time regardless of the type of watch. You know it's only in the name as well.

Just as the main purpose of the iPhone is to make/receive phone calls. I.e if the spec of the iPhone and iPod touch are be same, the main reason to get the iPhone over the iPod touch would be to make/receive phone calls.

I should mention that I plan to get the apple watch (see my other posts) for a variety of reasons. But the MAIN reason for the device is to tell the time - I.e it will replace my current watch and if the battery goes flat midday and I can't tell the time I wil be unhappy.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I got the iPhone because I wanted a Internet connection whenever I go -- iPod touch doesn't get internet if there is no wifi. But I hardly ever use the phone function. So for me, the main purpose of the iPhone isn't to make phone calls.

Also, I stopped wearing a watch when I got my iPhone, because I could tell the time by pulling the phone out of my pocket. Yes, there are times when it would be more convenient to have the time on my wrist, but those times are very few. My main interest in the Apple watch is fitness tracking and phone notifications. For me, telling time isn't really a main reason to get it. I do agree that the battery needs to last all day, but that is for the fitness tracking.

9. TJone macrumors 6502a

The Pebble is a great basic smart watch with great battery life. I have been using it for about a year while waiting for Apple Watch to release. But Pebble also has a special skill for making the worlds ugliest watches. The Steel is not much better in that department.

10. Surferlife macrumors newbie

You can add the Microsoft Band to the list.

It has pretty much all the features of a smartphone, although it's geared more towards the active crowd.

11. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Google is working on getting Android Wear to be compatible with the iOS platform.

12. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Do you have a source?

13. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Android Wear for iOS Not Ruled Out Hints Google Exec., Huffington Post UK

14. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. It would not work like google wants it to, so it probably will never happen.

16. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

One word: Glass

17. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I'm pretty sure glass does not have to pair with a phone, does it?

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Glass is just like a smartwatch - an extension of your phone. It's not a device with its own cellular or even Wi-Fi radio. To use its functions you have to pair it with your phone. You manage it with the Glass app.

It's not perfect like on Android (On iOS you can only read texts, not send them).

Android Wear isn't only just text messages though - developers have apps that they can use with it.

19. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I did not know that about glass. I knew it could pair with your phone for things like text, etc. I really did think it was a stand alone device though, and it could receive email and many other things by just using apps on glass itself.

20. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I believe it DOES have apps actually stored on the device (which I *think* Android Wear does as well?) It's definitely more stand alone than a smartwatch but still requires that data tether to a smartphone.

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Android wear uses the apps on your phone. That is why I think it will be hard pressed to properly work on IOS :)

22. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Well so does every other smartwatch. So does Chromecast on iOS as well.

It's something that the App will have to integrate.

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

And the problem is, I do not think apple will open "core apple apps" to actually work with android wear. I think it will be an apple issues, not a google one.

24. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

But there's no reason why other app developers couldn't.

Sure you won't get the core responding to texts/iMessages (it can still read them though) but other than that, everything else Android Wear does you're going to be able to do.