Other Brands vs 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by takipsilim, Jan 19, 2012.

1. takipsilim macrumors newbie

I've finally saved up for a 27-inch iMac, but I'm having second thoughts on getting one at this time. MacRumors and the overwhelming majority of users of this forum are saying "Go ahead, changes to the newer model will only be minor."

Having browsed some on all-in-one PCs, however, I would like to ask your opinion on this matter considering that existing competition (http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/11/2553266/samsung-series-7-all-in-one-review) has seemingly better-value hardware than current iMacs, and upcoming products (http://micgadget.com/20208/this-lenovo-all-in-one-pc-is-what-apple-imac-should-have-done-video/) might influence greatly the features of the upcoming iMac models. I mean, wouldn't Apple think twice about its specs when another brand is coming out in the next few months with a 27-inch multi-touchscreen device with 8 gigs of RAM and 2 TB storage for $1300?

2. mario24601 macrumors regular

I have been using and building PCs for years, it wasn't until last year when I got the air to replace my dell laptop and it has been the best laptop ever. I like apple so much now that I just bought a 27 iMac 3 days ago and so far I am really glad I did. The speed is great (I have the 3.4 with ssd) and it just works fine...my pc was always glitchy, yeah it was fast and I do miss it but I'm sure I will get over that...I say give iMac a try, you can always return within 14 days if you have any 'issues' with it or don't like it.

Edit: iMacs are more $ but I think worth it in the long run.

3. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

Waiting is pointless, you wait all that time to get an iMac and for the next refresh, only to realise it was only Minor and you could of had it 3 months ago.

If you want something, buy it. You could say that if you buy a new car, or a new TV, there will be a new one out in a month. Thats just the way it goes.

So, if you want one, get it! You have 14 days to change your mind afterwards!

4. jwm2 macrumors regular

You buy mac for the experience it provides. If you don't mind dealing with issues of windows and want to save money then go ahead and buy a windows machine. But if you love simplicity, easy of use and maintenence then you buy apple. Apple makes rock solid hardware and software, end of story. If you don't mind defragging your hdd, running virus protection and firewalls, reformatting your hdd and reinstalling windows after it refuses to boot, and device drivers which never seem to work correctly then by all means go the windows route.

5. theSeb, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

What?

I must be missing something. The only thing that's better is USB 3. The displays are worse and lower resolution on the 27" screen. Why would you want a touch screen desktop? The Samsung has the intel igp and does not have a discrete GPU. The CPU is only a dual core.

The details on the Lenovo are sketchy.

Which specs exactly are better? Get either one of those - you deserve it.

6. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Hardware is everything don't you get it? I am on a Mac site because I don't care if I run OS X or Windows. I just like the pretty pretty iMac. :rolleyes: s/

Mac's are more expensive spec for spec with rare exceptions. If you want best value for money go get plastic box from Best Buy. Apple does not care about what others are doing as they are pretty much burying them with their business model. So why would they care about a touchscreen that Job's had already said was ergonomically ridiculous and painful? Anyone can add more memory for a whopping 25.00 or so.

7. takipsilim thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies! Just want to clarify that yes, I'm definitely getting an iMac. I just wanted people's opinions to see if whether now is the right time to get one, given the current activity in the all-in-one PC category and if this will affect the upcoming iMac models. I mean, I'd be cool to wait a month or two if people thought that touch screen iMacs would be rolling out. Anyway, thanks for affirming my research, and I'm now leaning toward ordering my iMac in a day or two.:D

8. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I bought my iMac 27" about three weeks ago and didn't think twice, I looked at the current specs and figured they were fine for my needs today and most likely three years from today when I would expect to upgrade after my Apple Care expires. Even if touch screen was available on the upcoming model I still wouldn't care for it since I would hate to be reach out to tap on things on the screen.

9. leman macrumors 604

Well, I don't really like the Samsung, the entry-level iMac as the later is spec-wise an all-round better (and also cheaper) machine. Also, let's not forget that Samsung's customer support and software quality are still less then sufficient (although tech-wise, the company is top-notch). The Lenovo looks nice, but the low resolution screen would be a deal breaker for me. They also talk about 2GB GPU, but they don't tell what GPU that may be (probably something slower than the 6970M).

An please, touchscreen? Who would want that on their working computer? I mean, a big touchscreen may be nice for some gimmicks like virtual pianos, specific games or specialized software, but this pointless in 95% of the usual work situations. Touch interface is great for tablet-sized computers, but on anything bigger its just a impressively looking pointless toy which is put back into the box after the first "wow!"-impression has dispersed.

10. mario24601 macrumors regular

I just got mine, you will love it too...who knows what the new one will bring and when...I say go for it now.

11. Santiago17a macrumors newbie

I would! I would love having a touchscreen for my working computer. I have seen people working on them (HP, Lenovo, etc.) and I can totally see me using something like that for simple and complex things.

12. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

I would hate a touch screen PC. I don't see many cases that having to reach your arm up and touch a 27" screen is better than using a Mouse/TrackPad/Keyboard.

If I want to touch something it will be my tablet.

13. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I currently own a touchscreen dell right now, and all I can say is I bought it for the spec, not the touchscreen. Oh how I loathe touch marks and smudges on my beautiful 23" screen!

I don't blame jobs for hating them touchscreens though

14. Shanea macrumors newbie

The finger marks on my ipad are bad enough! So if it was 27 inches worth of finger prints it would drive me mad

15. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

I'd wait to see if the new iMacs have USB3 if its important to you. If all else fails, get a current gen refurbished unit.

16. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would wait until the refresh. You've saved up your money. What's a couple more months?

17. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

takipsilim

For my typical Home User usage (re: File, Print, Email, Word Processing, etc. tasks), I'd buy a laptop instead. A nice "portable" laptop that I can use on my lap while watching TV, move to the counter while cooking, or move to my back deck/pool area during summer time. My current iMac is the last Desktop I will ever own. And for what I need, I'd buy a low cost Win xx portable (like Asus or Dell or Lenovo (previous IBM thinkPad line) instead". Use for 3 years, throw away and get another one. Ya. I'm on a GM forum telling others I'd buy Dodge next time around. But for what I use a computer for, a "buy cheap, use it, throw it away and get another laptop" Win XX fits my needs. Just like my current HP 17.3" running Large Size DPI on Win xx machine….

18. Santiago17a macrumors newbie

About the touchscreen desktops

I think it is good to have the touchcreen option on a desktop. I particularly get tired of just using the mouse/trackpad/keyboard. I think once the operating systems get more compatible with touchscreens it will be even better. I don’t like a dirty screen either, but just like other touch devices it can be cleaned with a cloth, not biggie. Even non touchscreen monitors get finger prints anyway, people tend to… touch them, lol, regardless. Plus, touchscreen computers usually have the traditional input options (keyboard, mouse, etc.) too. Furthermore, there is always the option of not touching the screen if somebody wants no fingerprints on it.
    I really can see desktops with touchscreens becoming a standard. I do find them very useful.

19. leman macrumors 604

Useful for developing the carpal tunnel syndrome or tendon inflammations sure, but for doing work? Touchscreen is only useful for a limited range of applications. They may be great for the "plug-and-play" based design applications, where you drag and drop components to build some structures. They may also be fun for browsing catalogues or menues (like in shops). And in these case, the display should lay flat, like that MS surface thingie.
    For usual work, which involves lots of keyboard input (office, coding etc.), working with graphics (where precision is required), touchscreen is very counter-productive — imagine lifting your hands from the keyboard all the time. I find the Apple's solution, by employing an ergonomic touchpad as a virtual touchscreen much better.

But of course, these things are subjective. Personally, I believe in practical things and I have severe doubts about touchscreens being practical for a wide range of applications. It seems that Apple management agrees with me. As always, the time will show.

20. Santiago17a macrumors newbie

Yes, it’s subjective, and the opposite in my case. For example, no matter how ergonomic a mouse or keyboard design is, my wrist and fingers get very sore while working just with the mouse/keyboard, so having the touchscreen input option is just wonderful in my case and natural for many tasks even on a work computer. I like having all of those options. And yes, time will show what people will prefer and ask for. Many kids nowadays expect all monitors to be touchscreens.

21. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Add to that the fact that to get a touchscreen in a position of comfort to counteract the back and arm and wrist pain, the display would have to be close enough to your face to blind or severely damage your eyes. Or just look like crap all pixelated. SAme issue some users are already having with the 27-30" screens. Just too big. Don't like having to pan their heads to get it all in. Dot pitch in current monitors not up to the task. Higher res maybe "Retina Display" but them you have to push all those pixels so gaming natively is out of the question.

22. Santiago17a macrumors newbie

Blind or severely damage your eyes? Well, I think that's a little too extreme.
    But yes, the implementation of the technology will take some time... but it can eventually be done.

23. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I agree the touch screen isn't worth waiting for, especially since it won't ever happen on an iMac.

OP, you never mentioned what you want the machine for. It's hard to make recommendations without that info. But I do feel confident saying the iMacs will continue to best the all-in-ones of other manufacturers. They've never really come close.

There are some good arguments for buying PCs, however. The ability to upgrade and customize, for example, is missing on iMacs (and might even disappear entirely if Apple dumps the Mac Pro).

But if you want an all-in-one I wouldn't settle for anything but an Apple.

Rob

24. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

The question is do you want to run OS X or Windows (or Linux )?

If you want to run OS X, then comparing specs of an iMac vs non-Apple is somewhat pointless.

25. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Sorry. It was embellished for clarity.