Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
OTHER file on 8.0.2 is 3GB by this morning!!

clean install last night, DFU restore.
no backups.
no iCloud restores or anything. FRESH.

only 35 apps totaling 1.35 GB.
no photo stream or anything. no music, OR email accounts.

WTF is taking 3.21 GB of space?! I cannot figure it out and its pissing me off wasting valuable space. and its NOT the OS system itself, that space was already formatted and accounted for. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 201

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
bro, its a clean restore LAST NIGHT.

so nothing, nada. NO TEXTS at all on the phone.

its irritating.

First off, if you want help from people, don't ever call them "bro".

Now, do you know if any of the 35 apps you've discussed have additional information with them? Were they installed via iTunes or did you just download them on the device itself?

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
First off, if you want help from people, don't ever call them "bro".

Now, do you know if any of the 35 apps you've discussed have additional information with them? Were they installed via iTunes or did you just download them on the device itself?

the storage used by APPS calculates any of that in APPS, not other.
caches from those apps can be cleaned easily, which I'm doing.

so no, thats not it.

Wbutchart

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2013
This has been mentioned many times on these forums but some still seem to want to pretend this bug does not exist for many.

I have the same problem on both my phone and iPad and have done restores too, it is temporary because the other section just keeps building. I have no idea if ios 8.1 will fix it because no one wants to admit this bug exists...

cRuNcHiE

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2007
The only way to find out what it is, is by process of elimination.

Did you check it BEFORE you installed all those apps?
Which apps are they?
What happens if you delete all the apps?
Are you signed into iCloud?
Do you have lots of items in ibooks? PDF's for example if you ever did 'open in ibooks' for PDF's.

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013
Sundog925, I have no clue why your having this problem but will say I had and continue to have this same problem as you. For me it all started the day I downloaded and installed 8.0. I have not updated to either 8.0.1 or 8.0.2. I spent several hours over several weeks in phone calls to Apple tech support. The ios8 has been installed and uninstalled several times per direction of senior tech with NO improvement. The last call was a week ago leavings things dead in the water. End of the road.
Some people would say what's the big deal, you still have GB's free space. My reply is yes but something is eating up more free space everyday. Anyway I hope you get lucky and can get your problem fixed. As for me I am hoping the the next update some how makes this problem go away.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Open iTunes Preferences, go to Advanced, Reset iTunes Store Cache.

After that, resync your phone.

This has helped me in the past with syncing issues and weird glitches. Try it and see if that works. It's worth a shot at least.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Open iTunes Preferences, go to Advanced, Reset iTunes Store Cache.

After that, resync your phone.

This has helped me in the past with syncing issues and weird glitches. Try it and see if that works. It's worth a shot at least.

Thanks, I'm going to try that on mine. I had to uncheck automatic sync because it's been freezing up since ios8.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
If it's a clean install, you should have no problem trying another clean install. Not really ideal, but should fix the problem.

I know you've said no media, but do you use Gmail? That generally takes up quite a bit of room.

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
If it's a clean install, you should have no problem trying another clean install. Not really ideal, but should fix the problem.

I know you've said no media, but do you use Gmail? That generally takes up quite a bit of room.

I have the same issue too. A clean restore works for a while, but it always comes back. I couldn't figure out why.

If it's Gmail, shouldn't it be listed under Gmail in usage settings? I think it's a bug that causes this under certain circumstances. Hopefully 8.1 will fix it.

DARKiLLUSiON

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I had the exact problem and using phoneclean actually clears most of those big clunk of other data off of my phone..maybe that application could help you anyway good luck!

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
My daughters have this same issue on their ipad minis (32gb). Their "Other" usage is 7 or 8 gb!!!...on a 32 gb machine!!!!! It would go higher but it stops because the ipads fill up and become useless.

To fix it temporarily, I do a "restore from backup" (per Apple phone tech support) and that "Other" usage goes away...but just for a little bit. Sometimes it fills up again within hours.

I've spent hours searching online for a fix. There are lots of people with the same problem. Just google it. I will never buy an iOS device again without the maximum storage because of this.

I'm becoming so friggin disappointed and angry with Apple. There is too much that just "doesn't work" anymore.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks, I'm going to try that on mine. I had to uncheck automatic sync because it's been freezing up since ios8.

Just to clarify. My phone wasn't syncing properly even though I restored it 3 times and set it up as a new phone every single time.

Then I read online to clear the store cache in iTunes and that actually fixed it! It's been syncing perfectly ever since.

J.C

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2008
I'm having the same issue and I believe it's a bug as any fix doesn't last long.

P.S You can feel free to call me "bro" as I don't have a stick up my ar$e.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Same problem with my iPhone 5. I had thought it was because I had music in iTunes on my computer that I didn't purchase (long story short, and friend and I used Home Sharing in high school to share music...). Now I'm not sure. I had thought it had gone away when I restored my phone to install 8.0.2 even though I used a backup. Last time I synced with iTunes it was back. SUPER annoying in a 16gb device.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
i have yet to find a 'phone clean' program that can 'scan' for this 'other' data.

all of them you have to purchase.

granted i would purchase the software if i had a guarantee it will do the job i need it to do.

im not cheap.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I think 3.21 GB of other is normal. I have that amount of space on my 128GB Mini and my 32GB iPhone. Restoring doesn't help so I have just learned to live with it over the past year. It doesn't get any bigger.

sundog925

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
I think 3.21 GB of other is normal. I have that amount of space on my 128GB Mini and my 32GB iPhone. Restoring doesn't help so I have just learned to live with it over the past year. It doesn't get any bigger.

its a big deal on a 16GB iPhone and no, the answer is not to buy bigger. the answer is to NOT F$%^ UP APPLE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.