Other left-handers with iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sfditty, Jun 24, 2010.

1. sfditty macrumors regular

What do you plan to do about the antenna? I'm not sure myself. If I change the way I hold it to accommodate the antenna, I will be holding it in a non-natural, non-phone-like manner, and It's only a matter if time before this causes me to drop it. And the screens seem to be extremely prone to shattering. Then there's bumpers. Now I hate any kind of casing on my iPhone, but I'm not sure if I will have a choice. But the bumpers bring other issues- finding a dock what will allow it to fit well with the bumper on, for one thing. I've also read that the design of the bumper isn't optimal- the headphone jack will only fit iPhone/iPod headphone connectors. Think back to the first iPhone- if you had a fancy pair of Shure 530s (or other high-end headhones ) that wouldn't fit correctly without an ugly, annoying, goofy belkin or griffen adaptor, you know what I'm talking about. I've also read that the silent switch is very hard to manipulate with the bumper on- not enough wiggle room to use the switch without digging in with your fingernails. I'm too old to learn how to be a "righty". I'm too enamored with the retina display to go back to my 3gS. I don't see a solution here.

2. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

I'm a lefty but this isn't an issue for me. When I'm on a call I hold the phone with fingertips on the sides and top. I don't palm it.

3. iphone1027 macrumors 6502

I'm a "left hander" and to be honest with you, I have a big issue that the phone does not work the way it is supposed to for some people. I believe this is a major issue that needs to be addressed rather promptly.

I "could" hold it the way SJ wants me to hold it, but what now he is going to control the way I hold my phone?

I do hold my phone in my left most of the time (have big hands so I don't "palm" the phone); yet hold it with my fingers instead.

4. phrint macrumors 6502

I'm a lefty. It sucks to deal with but I have already adjusted the way I hold the phone. I will get a non-Apple bumper once they hit the market. Don't feel like spending $30 for an overpriced Apple product.

Still love the phone though...

5. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'm a lefty and i hold my phone in that hand the same way most others do. I dunno but i just have not been able to reproduce this issue.

6. WHM macrumors regular

I'm also left handed...holding it my normal natural way does effect the siginal strenght... I have adjusted the way I hold it but feels very uncomfortable...did not want a bumper but may be forced to try one?

7. skinsone macrumors regular

Southpaw here too and I learned young to do most everything right hand or left so this has never been a problem for me.

I also don't "palm" the phone but use my finger tips or bluetooth depending where I am.

I haven't had issues yet, knock wood.

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

I am left handed, I use 3-4 finger contact when talking on the phone

Index Finger on the mid back of the phone

Thumb on the mid-right side

Middle Finger and sometimes Ring Finger on the mid to mid bottom on the left side of the phone

no problems, I'm comfortable and no reception issues. With or without my bumper case

9. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Amazing that this discussion is going on and that people seriously need to worry about unnatural positions to hold a phone as a solution.

HTC incredible and EVO do not have this problem. The Incredible has great Verizon coverage (EVO on Sprint) and Android has features the iPhone still doesn't have. Turn by turn navigation and voice recognition among others.

There are other good choices out there.

10. WHM macrumors regular

Why don't you post this on a Verizon board instead of an Apple forum ?

11. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Love the advertisement. GO AWAY. :cool:

12. phrint macrumors 6502

The EVO is on Verizon!? :eek: I should run out to Verizon right now and buy one. But first, I think I will subscribe to your tech blog because you know things that most other tech blogs do not. :rolleyes:

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Another lefty here! Aren't we the only ones in our right mind??

So far no problems with the iPhone 4. Hope it stays that way. I hate to think I'd need to become a righty!!!!

14. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Ah, I guess I somehow managed to be confused about which side of the phone was the left side. I hold it in my left hand, but was thinking my thumb was on the left side.. Hrm.. well, I have Bumper now, anyway.

15. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

I'm pretty sure that the iPhone has voice control and and can have turn by turn navigation...

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm a lefty, but my typical grip when I'm talking on the phone does not bridge the antennae. It's a little more annoying when I have the phone in the palm of my hand surfing or whatnot.

I picked up a Griffin Reveal case today (just for the sake of protection) and it seems to have also taken care of the reception issues, so that's a win-win.

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I'm a lefty and have in no way compensated for the antenna "issue" when I make calls. I have yet to have any signal issues. YMMV.

18. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

I'm left-handed and I don't have this problem with my phone. I hold the iPhone 4 like I normally would and I maintain all 5 bars consistently where I normally do.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Don't feed the troll.
    Same. Although maybe I just got an extra good phone, because I cannot even recreate the issue when squeezing the bridge between the two antenna. :confused:

20. zildjianfan macrumors regular

I, and many other people I know, are right-handed and use our phones in our left hand.

21. wattsja macrumors regular

(Lefty here as well)

I agree with the above. I have a bumper coming so that will ensure that I don't bridge the "gap" .. but even still, as of now, my normal holding position doesn't seem to affect the reception.

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

im a lefty, made a few calls on the iPhone 4 today. Zero issues. only way I can get the bars to go down is if I hold BOTH black bands on each side of the phone. holding just the left side does nothing.

23. dmelgar macrumors 68000

With Android voice recognition you can speak anywhere you can type. Works amazingly well.
    Turn by turn is included for free and also works amazingly well. I'm not sure why Google doesn't provide it for the iPhone. Seems like the only place they're really made Android have the advantage with their apps.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If it works as well as Google Voice transcribes my voicemail, then it does not work at all.
    Yeah, and all the rest is useless crap. ;)

25. Superhero macrumors newbie

Left handed, usually hold it with my right hand while talking though.

Tried it with my left, experienced no change in coverage.

Meh.