Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
The more I read about Leopard the less I give a crap about the "major" features that Apple is advertising. Where its at seems to be under the hood.

jfruh

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
Everyone dissing the prospect of increased performance in Mail: you obviously don't obsessively keep thousands of messages in various folders; if you did, you'd bump into the sort of spinning beach ball problems with the app that I do. I'd love to see improved Mail performance; I have a dual 1.8 G5, so hopefully these improvements will work with multiple processors and not just multiple cores.

Josh

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Speed

The more I read about Leopard the less I give a crap about the "major" features that Apple is advertising. Where its at seems to be under the hood.

Finally, a snappy and responsive OS with apps that open instantly. Resizing windows will be a breeze, and the spinning beach ball will be a legend of the past. :)

Counter

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I think it's heart warming to know were not all drones.

So WWDC was a bit mehhh to say the least, big whoop, we'll get through it. In the mean time, humor is the best medicine. Personally I can't wait to run Font Book optimized for up to 8 cores.

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007
Now THAT'S something to shout about! Much better than the eye candy fluff.

PS I thought all shipping Macs now were multi-cored?

I was gonna say that the mac mini wasn't, but i just check and it is hmm...anyway with this news I am even more excited about how fast Leopard is going to run apps n such (I hope they design all apps eventually to use multiple cores in one way or another :) )

WHY didn't steve mention this stuff at WWDC, maybe the stock wouldn't have dived 6 points then :rolleyes:

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
G5s

Because of this, will the Quad Core G5, Mac Pros and Octo Core Mac Pros will run even faster?

Yes and no - Yes, multi-threading addressing in Leopard should accelerate things quite a bit with Dual and Quad Core G5s, while utilizing all processors more efficiently. However, Intel Multi-Core chips will have an even greater advantage, as each chip is multi-core, and Leopard will be optimized for Intel's multi-core architecture.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Right on the money

Have you ever noticed how long it takes to launch Address Book, iCal, and Mail? Multi-Core addressing will help them to open as quickly as, let's say, TextEdit. Address Book, iCal, and Mail are integrated with each other, and this slows them down considerably. ... Even bloated Word could benefit from multi-threading, but I don't imagine MS will put that much effort into it.

VERY unlikely. Application loading and dynamic linking is not a task that benefits from more cores. Buy a faster hard drive instead.

In other news.. Glad to see that Leopard is getting a new scheduler; a few months ago, few people on MacRumors believed that Tiger had any problems in this area. Now, they cheer for the feature that should have been available long before the 8-core was shipped with a deficient OS and twenty year old scheduler. (Hey, Mach was state of the art in the 80s, and I'm afraid much of it hasn't aged well.)

I also want to note that I was right about NSOperation, even though I had no access to beta developer documentation. Other posters claimed that Apple could invent a magical API that would improve multithreading, and I said it is impossible for an API to do that. They said it was premature to say without seeing the API. No way, said I.

Concurrency is a language problem, not an API problem. We have more than enough APIs. What we need is a better way to write code that exposes parallelism. For that, you need to continue to look to OpenMP or the more exotic new languages. GCC already supports OpenMP, and with any luck the Xcode version will support it soon.

(Don't confuse Open-MPI with OpenMP. Two different technologies..)

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
I was gonna say that the mac mini wasn't, but i just check and it is hmm...anyway with this news I am even more excited about how fast Leopard is going to run apps n such (I hope they design all apps eventually to use multiple cores in one way or another :) )

WHY didn't steve mention this stuff at WWDC, maybe the stock wouldn't have dived 6 points then :rolleyes:

Because Steve would have to admit that the current product is crap at multiprocessing/multithreading, and always was.

Steve would have faced further questions about why the 8-core Mac was shipped one week before Leopard was delayed. (Answer: Apple needed the money to support the 2nd quarter.) None of that makes for pleasant discussion.

Amdahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Yes and no - Yes, multi-threading addressing in Leopard should accelerate things quite a bit with Dual and Quad Core G5s, while utilizing all processors more efficiently. However, Intel Multi-Core chips will have an even greater advantage, as each chip is multi-core, and Leopard will be optimized for Intel's multi-core architecture.

Odds are that you are wrong, unless you care to explain what you mean. G5s are going to benefit very much. 8-core intel Macs will benefit the most, but that's simply because Tiger scheduler really goes to crap above 4 cores, not because that system happens to be Intel rather than PowerPC. (Caveat: Well, in a sense, it does benefit intel more, in that the 8-core doesn't have enough memory bandwith due to the fact that Intel 'quad' chips are actually two 'Duos' duct-taped together, and then they cram two of those on to one memory bus.)

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Because Steve would have to admit that the current product is crap at multiprocessing/multithreading, and always was.

Steve would have faced further questions about why the 8-core Mac was shipped one week before Leopard was delayed. (Answer: Apple needed the money to support the 2nd quarter.) None of that makes for pleasant discussion.

Dude, Apple has lots and lots and lots and lots of cash. 8-core Mac Pros have NOTHING to do with Apple Inc.'s solvency. Seriously how could you not realize that?

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
I'll pay $129 for no more beach ball in the Finder all by itself!! Hopefully it goes away in other applications like Safari too. It seams like Tiger doesn't time out quick enough on a bad network connection across the board.

SWC

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
While I agree what steve showed was mostly fluff you have to look at it from a marketing standpoint. Most AVERAGE users aren't going to know what the hell a multithreaded finder means but they will notice how it looks. As much attention as these events get from the press they have to show the features that appeal to their biggest marketshare.

pieman02

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2007

I wonder if he didn't want too much hype about better multicore usage and other new features, because then everyone at MacRumors would get Leopard, expecting an exponentially faster system, and only get a blazing fast system, then give "Apple ships Leopard" 1999 negatives...:p

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
All I want for my $129 is for my entire machine, all applications, to NOT freakin' completely lock up for several minutes when the Finder suddenly can't find a previously-mounted network volume. Is that too much to ask?

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
While I agree what steve showed was mostly fluff you have to look at it from a marketing standpoint. Most AVERAGE users aren't going to know what the hell a multithreaded finder means but they will notice how it looks. As much attention as these events get from the press they have to show the features that appeal to their biggest marketshare.

I think an ultra-responsive GUI and Finder should excite Average Joe more than Spaces. What's Spaces?... Average Joe doesn't even know about Exposé, Apple-TAB, and Apple-H.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Odds are that you are wrong, unless you care to explain what you mean. G5s are going to benefit very much. 8-core intel Macs will benefit the most, but that's simply because Tiger scheduler really goes to crap above 4 cores, not because that system happens to be Intel rather than PowerPC. (Caveat: Well, in a sense, it does benefit intel more, in that the 8-core doesn't have enough memory bandwith due to the fact that Intel 'quad' chips are actually two 'Duos' duct-taped together, and then they cram two of those on to one memory bus.)

Pardon my ignorance, but will Leopard run on G5 machines or will it require Intel processors? In either case, I have an eight-year old G4 400 and am very much looking forward to getting a new machine early next year; hopefully Penryns will be in new Mac Pros by then.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
New Scheduler

Well, after two decades of the Mach scheduler, the new kernel scheduler should make for the most dramatic improvement in speed, responsiveness, and reduction of latency. It really seems like Apple had to ship the cart before the horse when it released the 8 core MPs.

aliquis-

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Atleast something good comes with it. But tweaks and adjustments are supposed to happen between versions..

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
Pardon my ignorance, but will Leopard run on G5 machines or will it require Intel processors? In either case, I have an eight-year old G4 400 and am very much looking forward to getting a new machine early next year; hopefully Penryns will be in new Mac Pros by then.

Leopard will run just fine on your g5.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Leopard on G5

Yes, Leopard will run on G5 machines, and really well indeed. It will even run on your G4 400, although you'd need to upgrade your graphics card to at least an ATI 8500 to allow the Core Animation to run well. (yes, it can handle it power wise, if this is a tower we're talking about) Hopefully, we will see Penryns in the new MPs in 2008.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.