"Other" space

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Merkie, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Merkie macrumors 68020

This "Other" space is driving me insane. I currently have 2,82GB "Other" space and I can't seem to get rid of it. I have a 16GB phone so it's quite a lot.

Currently, my storage space is used up as follows:
    - 4.5GB audio (750 songs, higher bit rate songs converted to 192kbps AAC)
    - 1.09GB (1321) photos
    - 3.26GB (107) apps
    - 770MB documents & data
    - 2.82GB other
    - 760MB free

I can't explain the "Other" space. My iCloud backup is only 1.5GB, of which 500MB are photos (accounted for by the 1.09GB photos), 500MB is Whatsapp (accounted for in the 770MB documents and data), and 250MB messages (probably counted as "Other"), I can't account for the other 250MB.

It's a mystery to me where the 2.82GB "Other" space comes from. I have no idea what all that data is. A fresh newly restored as iPhone maybe has 500MB of "Other" space. Can anyone shed some light of this? It annoys me, my phone's storage space is always full and more than 20% of the storage space is just gone without explanation.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe its generally
    Messages, and cache, settings and other space needs for apps

3. Darrensk8 macrumors 6502

Darrensk8

4. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Messages is only 250MB for me. Space needed for apps either is in "Documents & Data" or "Apps" itself (the storage spaced used by apps can be decreased by removing cache data). It does not explain the 2.8GB. Apple should fix this.

5. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

It could be Music or videos. I've noticed that if I stream songs or a film from iCloud they get cached into the "Music" section in the phone, but don't actually show up in the music app usage settings. Normally clearing all data from the music app through the settings menu clears the rogue data and frees that "other" space.

6. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Didn't work for me. Out of the 14.9GB, only 13.3GB is available to the user. Then another 2.8GB is gone for no specific reason. :mad:

7. ewils19 macrumors 6502

How do you do that?
    My 64 GB 5s has over 6 GB taken up by other right now and while I still have extra space I'd like to reduce the size of the other. I specifically remember downloading a movie on my phone over Christmas and never watching or deleting it but it shows that its still in the cloud on my phone so I suspect that this is what the other space is.

8. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

It's one of the biggest mysteries for iOS users. :)

Try following this helpful guide on OSX Daily: http://osxdaily.com/2013/07/24/remove-other-data-storage-iphone-ipad/

Even after following this guide, along with many other forum posts and articles, I've never really had much luck in recovering more than 1GB of "Other" data.

I've got a ridiculous 4.33 GB of "Other" data on my iPhone and it's really annoying having paid for a 32GB iPhone and only really got about 22 GB to play with.

One thing I have noticed though is that the "Other" data always changes when I connect my phone to iTunes and disconnect, sometimes almost doubling in usage.

9. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The other ~3 GB of data is reserved for the operating system.

10. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Incorrect. An empty iPhone (reset to factory defaults) has ~500MB of "Other" data.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Agreed it seems to be a big mystery what is in there. The only way I know to get rid of it is to restore your phone and set it up as new. I have seen many threads with multiple suggestions but none of them makes any sense.

12. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

"Other" space

I was the talking about the missing 3 GB on a 16 GB iPhone. iTunes only shows 13.3 GB useable. And a fully restored iPhone has around ~200 mb of other data with no other apps.

13. Merkie thread starter macrumors 68020

Oh, in that case you're right. I was confused because actually only 1.6GB of storage space is allocated to the operating system (16GB is acutally 14.9GB).

14. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

Just an FYI I believe on newer devices the OS takes more than 1.6 GB so for those that have newer devices (5 and 5s) there might be a bit less storage.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hopefully one day iOS will allow us to clear app and storage cache as is the case on Android.

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Try Phone Clean Pro. It works well for dealing with "the other data."

17. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Other space destroys my life. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but still. I shouldn't have to restore as new every 6-12 months to get rid of this space. I don't know what it is but they need to fix it. I've tried all tricks in the hat and have read countless threads over the past few years in forums across the web. The only thing I've found to do anything at all is swipe to delete all music and I get about two of my 8GB (EIGHT!) freed. It's quite annoying. The lowest I can ever get it is around 3GB.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

What's the cost?

19. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

The latest version is $30.00, if I remember correctly. The free version can still be found online, if one searches, and it does a good job as well.

20. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Go to settings > general > useage > select music from the list of apps > click edit in the top right > then hit the red button to clear the app's data.

21. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I did a clean restore to 7.0.4 and before updating to 7.1 I'd amassed over 7GB of 'other'!
    I don't know what the heck it is but a clean install of 7.1 gave me back 6GB of storage space, and I still have all the same apps, photos and data on my phone (via iCloud).

22. Kuhrtje macrumors newbie

Last week i did a restore. My 'Other' space went from 2,6GB to 1,06GB.

Today i synced my iphone. After de sync the 'Other' went from 1,06GB to 1,6GB.. What is it that is causing this space?

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I have a 16GB iPad Air and occasionally the "other" gets to around 3.5GB's. When that happens I am forced to restore the iPad to bring it back down to around 1GB. I have to do it once every other month. It's so annoying.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

I did a restore and my other space went down to a little over 1 GB, but after a week or so it shot up to a bit over 2 GB. I installed most of my apps in the first day or two after the restore and set everything up, and yet nothing changed until a little over a week later when I really wasn't changing anything anymore or using anything more than usual or new.

25. Kuhrtje macrumors newbie

The same is happening to me right now. Full restore with the phone set as new. Everything is back at its place and the Other is going up. Now it's 1.6GB but I'm affraid it will be 2.1GB the next time I'll sync the phone.