Other than Mac the Ripper?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stang68, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

I have MactheRipper right now but I wanted to know what other programs you can use to back up DVD's to your Mac. (I have Handbrake already, too.)

Thanks!

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac the Ripper really is the best option if you ask me.

3. theotherguy macrumors member

updated?

Does anyone know the progress of mactheripper? Has it been discontinued or are they still in beta testing from yr2006? It's the only thing on my machine that runs in rosetta....

4. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I'm not sure. But if you want the new versions, you have to pay $50! I can probably get other programs for less! Anyone know of any others?

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's pretty ridiculous how they constantly demand "donations". You are paying for the app, no question about it. It's also ridiculous that they charge for an app that uses a lot of GPL'd code.

I purchased AnyDVD and used it via Parallels. Worked way better than MacTheRipper anyway (something they acknowledge too).

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Can anyone do a guide about how to best rip and store using Mac The Ripper? Since this seems to be the best program out there, I would love to see an idiot-proof guide to archiving maintaining as much quality as possible, and then how one might best convert from these files to the best quality for each platform. While Handbrake is easy using presets to rip DVDs, it would make sense for everyone who wants to archive to store in the best format possible rather than according to any current display standard (i.e. AppleTV, iPod, etc.).

7. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

You would want to go to ripdifferent.com

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Insert DVD. Launch Mac the Ripper. Click Go. Guide written :).

Edit : Once you have ripped with Mac the Ripper use Handbrake to convert the VOBs to iPod / iPhone / AppleTV / iTunes friendly formats.

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

MTR rips with full quality. It just strips the CSS copy protection. The first decision you need to make when ripping is do you want to rip so that you can make a full DVD copy (preserving DVD menus and extra content) or do you just want the movie. If you are trying to preserve full quality for future encoding to :apple:TV, ipod etc. you should keep the ripped folder intact (costs lots of HD space). There is no one format to encode to that will work with everything without going with lowest quality/size. DVD quality is less than 720p so Handbrake--->:apple:TV presets is excellent quality and can be downconverted (ie lose some quality) to other formats if necessary although you are better off using the original ripped folder. Also, keep in mind that with :apple:TV2 there will be downloadable 5.1 surround movies which makes me believe we will have the option of encoding our own movies in 5.1. You can do this now but I doubt the format you do it in will be compatible with what is to come. :apple:TV will set the standard for macs IMO so for me it is a bit of wait and see before I fully rip/encode my library.

BTW MTR pre-3.0 beta will be limited to movies pre-clear cell copy protection. So the choice is to use windows equivalents or gift $50 for the beta program which is continuously being upgraded with each new round or copy protection by the studios. This is a tricky time for copy protection and each new movie (eg 3:10 to Yuma) screws with the rippers. Ripping to Main Feature for encoding the movie only seems to work best in general but if you try to make a backup copy of the entire movie using Full Disk extraction the ripper needs to be updated frequently, at least for now.

10. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yea, and I think that $50 is way too much! Also, it is a sketchy way to give the donation. He wants it in like Swedish dollars or something and there is no credit card option. He wants either paypal or Western union. Idk if I wanna deal with all of that.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So MTR rips without losing any of the resolution on the DVD automatically? That's great. Thanks.

Does MTR handle BlueRay?

12. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I dont think it handles blu-ray.

13. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i ditched mtr in favor of free windows apps... i use ripit4me with dvddecrypter followed by dvdshrink then burn with imgburn.... if ripit4me fails i use the latest release of dvdfab hd decrypter

14. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Mac the Ripper is pretty much the only viable option for the Mac. It works pretty well but there are times you will have problems ripping DVDs. I also have a Windows Virtual Machine with DVD Fab, so if I face problems with Mac the Ripper, I open DVD Fab on the VM and rip the DVD. There is no performance problems in doing that.

15. jodders macrumors member

I have tried using MacTheRipper and well confused!

Currently, my DVD is set at Region 1. I have put a Region 2 DVD (UK) in to rip and the process ripped the DVD into .vob files. What do I do next?

16. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

what do you want to do next? if you want to watch it simply drag the video_ts folder onto your apple dvd player icon. if you want to burn it to a dvd to play in your home dvd player you need a program such as dvd imager http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19456 in order to do this, however it will require a dual layer disc if the original dvd was dual layer. if you want to shrink it to fit on a standard dvd-/+r you are going to need 3rd party software like dvd2one. all these apps in mac cost $, however free ones such as dvdshrink exist in windows

17. christopher3071 macrumors regular

You don't necessarily have to donate the recommended amount. I donated about half the amount they requested and it was good enough. I'd say if you gave them anything over $15 they'd probably be ok with sending you the download link.
    As for issues? MTR works great, their newest version works great and I haven't had a single issue with it. It even deals with ARRCOS or whatever that crazy newer encryption is.
    I highly recommend MTR
    It is currently at version 3.0 Revision 14-i and is still being actively developed by a dude in Switzerland that goes by the name Geezerbutz

18. gvg45 macrumors member

They are actually on rev.14M.

19. tizzo macrumors newbie

Fairmount

Someone mentioned fairmount in another post. It reminds me of the pc equivalent, anydvd; it uses VLC to decrypt the DVD on the fly. Don't have MTR so not sure how this compares.

20. wmealer macrumors regular

I downloaded MTR via usenet in protest. I don't even use it, but I did it anyway just to stick it to the money-grubbing b*stards.

I use a combination of FairMount and DVD2ONEX.

21. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i still have the dmg for mtr r14f floating around even though i'll never use it... the one before the crazy license scheme came about

22. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I don't think it's that "ridiculous". You are using someone else's time, energy, and brain. It's nice enough that it's free to use.

I think these days people expect too much from the Internet, if it's not free it's "not fair". Nothing in life is free :)

23. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

for legal reasons they changed it from donation to gift

24. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's ridiculous that they take money for an application that uses a lot of code offered freely under the GPL....they are openly violating the GPL, and any attempt to strike up a discussion about why they are doing that gets deleted immediately on their forums.

25. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I read that. Obviously, they don't have a lawyer because calling the purchase price a gift is just as wrong as calling it a donation.