other upgrades likely in haswell refresh (merged)?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphoneZ, Apr 2, 2013.

1. iphoneZ macrumors regular

care to speculate what other components of the cmbp/rmbp will get upgrades in the next refresh to haswell chips?

i'm trying to decide whether to upgrade my 2010 mbp now or wait until the haswell refresh. (or even until next year ...) if the ram or hard drive would be upgraded as well then i would definitely wait.

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Aside from the architecture of the CPU, probably nothing as current MBPs already have USB 3.0 and up to two Thunderbolt ports. The only real big news would be if Apple drops the "old" unibody models once and for all.

In the meantime, if you don't have one already, upgrade that 2010 MBP with an SSD. It will feel brand new.

3. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Long shot, but maybe support for 802.11ac... but probably not until the 2014 refresh when the standard is supposed to be approved.

Maybe a slightly improved FaceTime camera?

Can't really think of anything else =\

4. fatlardo macrumors 6502

fatlardo

I agree on the FT camera. It is still pretty bad imo. I think battery life and heat will improve slightly.

5. i make movies macrumors regular

I would like a Thunderbolt update...10Gb/s is not fast enough.

It's supposed to be get up to 100 Gb/s by "the end of the decade". Arg.

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

7. onirocdarb macrumors regular

Price drop is a definite. Possibly a better battery and more storage for the baseline model. A better camera and ac wifi would be good too.

8. iphoneZ thread starter macrumors regular

to make matters more complicated I can get a student discount but i'm graduating in june!

i use my laptop mostly for numerical simulations and power web browsing (40+ tabs), no games

9. atMac macrumors 6502

I say that if you need it, or can get a great deal then get it now.

The update will not be a WOW OMG LOL AMAZING thing unless they pull something like a redesign out of their butts. And even then it won't perform to much better than what you can get today.

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

That's what she said.

11. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

It's my guess that you'll still be able to use that Student ID in July and August. Summer break and it's not like you'll be bring your diploma in there with you

12. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I personally think with the possibility of Wifi ac being added makes it worth the wait, but that is just me :)

13. ls1dreams macrumors 6502

A price drop would be amazing, but I doubt it'll happen. They've already cut the price once. I'm most curious to see if they keep offering the non-retina models.

The expandability of them is still really nice (especially if you remove the optical drive and run an SSD + regular HD)

14. emptysoul macrumors regular

I suspect Apple will move all their models to non-upgradable. It's a shame but we best get used to it.

15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You will likely see a price increase before a price decrease with the next models.

16. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Still don't understand the name scheme on the new Haswell Gpu,
    4600?5100?5200?Gt2?Gt3?
    Is this correct?
    GT2--->stands for 4600
    GT3--->5100/5200?
    By the way i hope to see a real gpu for the 13" or ,
    at least a quad core(and maybe a 5100 in the Air but this is another story).
    The thunderbolt chipset?Do we need to wait next year to see Falcon Ridge?
    750 m will be just for the 15 i suppose.

17. GanleyBurger macrumors regular

GanleyBurger

Will Summer 2013 Kill Anti Glare and Disc Drive?

I walked into Apple ready to throw down $2,500 bucks...

Then the SLIM and lightweight body on the rMBPs got me thinking.

Crap!!! So much lighter and sleek.

So here's the question/predictions... (please address it)

If there is a refresh to the 15" this summer, will...

(1) Classic get rid of the CD drive to make it thinner?

(2) Anti Glare still be an option?

In other words, I am ready to buy a cMBP right now with Anti Glare, but if the refresh will make the Classic as thin as the rMBP, I'll wait. But not if they are killing Anti-glare.

Is there something I'm not getting??? Is it the CDRom or the classic HD that makes it thicker????

18. duervo, Apr 7, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Close ... It's Ethernet Port + HDD + SuperDrive that are the major things that make the cMBP thicker. Ethernet Port especially.

Oh yeah ... Firewire port as well. They dropped them all to make it thinner, not because they were obsolete tech. If they really thought it was obsolete, then they wouldn't have started making and selling Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet and Thunderbolt-to-Firewire dongles.

19. Ploki macrumors 68000

Firewire800 is becoming rapidly obsolete.

Its important because of half a decade old tech. It was used primarily for fast drive and for audio interfaces. And even then, most of those run on FW400 still.

Audio interfaces are getting updates to USB/FW combo interface or thunderbolt, and for consumer interfaces USB only.

cMBP is not getting any thinner. Make cMBP thinner and you essentially end up with a retina. Too much money to design two distinct machine in the same range and size. Not really apples way of doing things

20. Albuca macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as you!
    I like the thinner body of the rMBP -- but the fact you cannot get the anti glare screen, upgrade the ram, hdd, or battery killed that thought pretty quickly for me.

All indications from what I've been reading and the opinions from people on the forums is that the cMBP is going to be nixed at the next refresh (there is only one base model of the 15" available as a BTO currently, whereas there used to be 2 (possibly 3?)).

I am planning on purchasing the cMBP with the anti glare in the next week or so -- the thickness is still less then my current laptop, and if a year down the road I want to upgrade, I can.
    Additionally, the LAN port is also important to me; as I use it all the time at the university because everyone watching YouTube at lunch kills the bandwidth ;P

Just my two cents!
    (Also they do not have the anti glare screens on display in the Apple store anymore -- a sign they are being phased out???)

21. CptSky macrumors regular

I doubt, but maybe it's because I don't want to, that Apple will make the cMBP thinner. It would be making a cMBP identical to a rMBP except in term of the Retina display. Well, they've done it at least one time with the Aluminium MacBook which was exactly identical to the MacBook Pro (except the base CPU of both 13" and the keyboard of the MBP). But, they killed the Aluminium MacBook rapidly as it was too identical to the MBP. It's not good in term of marketing... So, except if they kill the cMBP, I doubt they'll redesign a dying branch.

Well, a CD-ROM and a common SSD are 9.5mm while the new SSD cards in the rMBP are only few mm. But, there is also the Ethernet port which is 8.3mm. So well, yes, using common SSDs, CD-ROMs, Ethernet ports needs more place.

22. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

i think a 2.5" drive is like 9.5mm and a SSD blade is 2.2mm thick...

23. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Optical drive yes. From a pure business standpoint, it makes so sense for Apple to continue to offer an optical drive when they want to push everyone towards iTunes.

I couldn't even begin to guess in regards to the AG screen. There must be a reason that they haven't offered it as an option on the retina yet though.

24. koyoot macrumors 601

koyoot

Yes, next refresh will kill cMBP.

Optical Disc is rarely used by most people. External ODD is enough for most people needs.

One more thing...

Next refresh will kill the Retina sign. It will be just Macbook Pro.

25. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

After spending this sunny Sunday morning with my rMBP in the park I must say I'd be much happier with an anti-glare display :(