Otter Box Commuter is junk!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mom333, Nov 1, 2011.

1. mom333 macrumors regular

I did a bunch of research on what case to buy back when I pre-ordered my 4S. I ordered the Commuter directly from Otter Box (because this brand was recommended ALL over the Internet) and it FINALLY arrived yesterday. I can't even begin to explain how disappointed I am in the quality. I do not understand for the life of me, how people can recommend this product?! :confused: It looks so poorly made. It's two colors (pink and white) and the sections where the colors meet, do not align properly and the plastic feels SO cheap! I used the Speck cases on my 3GS and they are 100 times better. This hunk of junk is going right back and I can't believe I just lost out on the S&H charges. On top of that, they doubled my order! So, I waited almost a month for the item to arrive, and they send me TWO of them and they are crap. Not at all impressed with this company.:(

2. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

i notice that more and more cases these days are junk, i think a skin and a pouch may be the way to go.

3. iFalcon macrumors regular

I know exactly how you feel. I received the new commuter case and the plastic casing wasn't even cut clean and did not line up property with the silicone.

That is why I sent mine back. They even covered the shipping for me.

4. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

If there's a positive, otterbox support seems to be pretty good...so if you want to return the case you should be able to.

In direct opposition to your experience, I ordered an otterbox defender for my wife's 4S and she loves it (she's a frequent dropped, so the defender was one of the requirements to be met before we would buy her the new phone).

5. KentuckyHouse, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I couldn't disagree more with you, OP. I've been using Commuter cases for 2 years on my 3GS and now I've got another one on my 4S (and 2 more set to be delivered tomorrow directly from Otterbox). IMO, they're the best case out there when it comes to a compromise between protection and size.

I'm sorry, but all you people griping over the shell not lining up on the silicone...you're just not putting it on correctly. I can pop the current black one on in 20-30 seconds and it lines up just fine. Like I said, I've got two more coming tomorrow and I'll eat crow if something is wrong with them, but I don't anticipate that being the case.

Oh...and it's a case, OP. Take a breath. No need to get yourself so worked up over something so simply stupid. There are a million other cases out there...try them. :rolleyes:

6. iFalcon, Nov 1, 2011

iFalcon macrumors regular

No...it is the case. My wife has the exact same case and it lines up perfectly with little effort.

In fact, the silicone case with mine isn't even the same thickness in a couple of spots compared to hers. There are many people having similiar issues on the Ottebox website.

I agree that I have used the 3GS Commuter case for a year or two and it was perfect quality. Went on without any issues. I do wish the 4S case did work out because I've always loved the Otterbox products.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I shouldn't have painted with such a broad brush. I apologize for that. And I don't doubt that you've had problems with yours. I just have a hard time believing so many cases from Otterbox, with problems like are being described, have made it out of the factory, when I've already bought 3 and have 2 more coming tomorrow and haven't had the first issue with any of them. That makes me believe a lot of the people complaining are new to the Commuter and just have no idea how to put it on the phone.

Again, I don't doubt you've had a bad one. I'm just saying I haven't (yet).

8. hizzaah macrumors 6502

got my commuter in today, and i'm pretty happy with it, other than I'm having issues with the lock button being a bit stiff. whenever I had this issue with my iP4 commuter, a simple reseatting was all that was needed to fix it, but I haven't been able to get the lock button to feel like the volume buttons.

All my silicon seems to line up pretty well. I'm not as picky about that though.

the thing that bothers me is that the headphone jack cover and 30-pin covers dont have the extra silicon that inserts into the jack/port. That was something I really liked about the iP4 version and part of the reason I ordered the commuter again for the 4S. If it's not one thing, it's another I guess. Overall though I'm pretty happy with the case and I feel like the rounded corners will provided better drop protection than the one for the iP4. The silicon is definitely nicer imo. I feel like I wont have to take this one apart as often for cleaning since it wont attract as much lint/dirt/etc..

9. Kaenon macrumors regular

I dropped my iPhone 4S in my Otterbox Commuter case about 5 or 6 times this past Halloween weekend.

Phone is perfect and case doesn't look like it has been dropped!

10. mom333, Nov 2, 2011

mom333 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes! Yes! That's it. You described it with the words I was looking for.....it's not cut clean and it does not line up propery with the silicone.

FWIW - I ordered one for me and one for my husband, and not only did they duplicate my order, but his as well. So I now have four of these pieces of junk. I opened up them ALL and they ALL have the same issue. I'm glad to hear Otter Box has good customer service, as I will be contacting them for a return and full refund.

I went to Target and bought an "Incipio" and it's awesome. Go figure.

11. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

my commuter from my ip4 fits my ip4s perfectly and everything lines up aside from the 30pin dock connector cover that never fit in snugly in the first place (kinda just wanna cut if off) aside from that small issue everything lines up and fits like it should.

12. KentuckyHouse, Nov 2, 2011

KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

You're almost right. While I shouldn't have gotten on you so harshly (attacked is a strong word and I disagree that's what I did), I just thought your title and OP were a bit over-the-top. Posting a review that isn't glowing is one thing...but broadly stating "Otterbox Commuter is junk!" when there are tons of people that have received good products from them is another. So, if I made you feel "attacked"...I apologize.

As I stated later, I'd eat crow (and now I will), and I've now received two more of these today directly from Otterbox and I can now say you people having problems aren't crazy. :D I got the blue/white combo and green/gray combo and the differences between these two new ones and the all-black one I had on my phone previously (which is the updated design and was purchased at a local AT&T store) are night and day. The very first thing I noticed is the silicone is COMPLETELY different in firmness. It's much more firm on the new ones, almost to the point of having a plastic feel. I'm not sure I like that.

I put the blue shell with the gray silicone on first and, what do yo know? It's got the same issues others have complained about (the shell won't fit "into" the silicone on one side of the back, causing the shell to not sit flush). At first, I thought this was because the shell seemed to be arched backward a little...so I did a little flexing of the top and bottom of the shell and put it back on. No dice. The problem still persists. If I pull the silicone out to the side a little and push the shell, it fits right into the silicone. But once you let go, it slides right back out and still doesn't line up.

Here's my conclusion...because they've decided to go with this "firmer" silicone, it's not as pliable as the old-style silicone (such as that on my all-black updated case or the one I used for 2 years on my 3GS). Because of this, the silicone doesn't get pushed out to the side of the shell allowing the shell to fall into the channel on the back.

While the cases look fine and you really have to look to notice these imperfections, it's not an acceptable thing. I have to say, I'm quite disappointed in Otterbox for letting these see the light of day. Every case of theirs that I've used in the past has been top-quality, but I feel these were rushed to market to meet demand after the 4S launched.

I don't know if I'll keep them or not. While the imperfections do bother me, I don't know if they bother me enough to go through the trouble of returning them for a refund.

And to anyone I may have called crazy for thinking these cases had flaws...I do apologize. I've been a ardent user of Otterbox cases for years and, since I already had one of the updated cases, figured they'd all be like that one. Obviously not.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

14. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

My Commuter case is great, better than several others I've tried. However, I'm currently rocking my 4s naked, as the Otterbox was just too bulky. I've ordered two more bumper-style cases recently, hopefully one of them will satisfy me. :cool:

15. xGmart macrumors newbie

completely agree

I ordered two. Not sure how my friends is holding up I got for him, but mine is terrible. I got the white/blue one big mistake. The white is starting to turn yellowish green.

Secondly, the quality is horrible. My friend who has this case for the iPhone 4 thought I purchased a knock off otterbox it's that bad. The silicone was not trimmed all the way, and has an ugly injection mark.

The biggest problem I encountered is that despite trying for hours to get the two pieces to fit together they don't.

Was planning on getting a replacement but now I'm just going to get a refund and buy a Speck case.

Also: To the people saying that if it does not line up you are not putting it on correctly ****. Maybe yours works, feel lucky.

16. RipsMctits, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

RipsMctits macrumors regular

Not directly related, but it seems Otterbox is cutting corners on these 4S cases. I ordered a Defender before I found out the 4S version does not have the protective film over the cameras and logo cutouts like the 4 version did. What's up with that? I'm kind of peeved about that one. And now, seeing the quality dip in the Commuter cases does not do well for Otterbox.

17. mom333 thread starter macrumors regular

18. hizzaah macrumors 6502

Wanted to say that my lock button has settled in and is now much easier to use.. I do agree that it seems the QQ has dipped for otterbox though and it's unfortunate.

I will say that I really love the way this case feels after using it for a while. It's very smooth and the way they made the silicon makes it seem to blend in with the plastic.

I think my silicon has settled in more now as well. It lines up perfectly in the center side plastic, and towards the back of all the corners. It's like the plastic part sort of flares outward the closer it gets to the front.. It's not bad, and it doesn't bother me, just another comment about the QQ..

19. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

And I apologized for the personal attack (which, by the way, you also used...see how it was removed from your post as well?)

If you read my long post above, you'll see that I'm now in agreement with you after receiving the two new cases this morning. I've since fired off a long email to Otterbox, explaining my belief that it's the stiffer silicone they've used that's causing the problems and directing them to this and other threads on MacRumors regarding the Commuter.

Again, I do apologize for the insulting tone of my first post. I typically try and not belittle people, but apparently I was having a bad day when I posted that (and that's no excuse). I've always loved my Otterbox cases, but now that I've seen the new ones first-hand, I can say the quality has dropped tremendously. I also informed them of this in my email this morning and let them know that while I've always been a big proponent of their cases, I no longer will be until they fix this issue (and hopefully help those of us that have received the less-than-stellar cases).

20. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

So should I stick with finding one of the older ones? I actually like the new way it wraps around. Any feedback will help before I order one.

21. jasko macrumors 6502

jasko

I enjoy my commuter very much. I have the black on black, housed in a belt holster. Love it.:eek:

22. Ikyo macrumors 6502

Ikyo

Do you have the newest commuter out or one of the older ones?

23. mom333 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you.

----------

Mine was brand new. I ordered it directly from Otter Box - I had to wait almost a month for it to arrive - and it had a sticker on the front that said 4 / 4S.

24. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I don't want to confuse you, but let me see if I can help.

The first Commuters that came out for the iPhone 4 looked like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Notice the smaller camera and flash opening. This case makes the flash wash out pictures. This is the one you DON'T want. We'll call this the 1st generation Commuter for this discussion.

See how at the top and bottom, the plastic piece (the black piece) just goes straight across the top? It doesn't curve down towards the edges or the screen. This case is very hard on your ear when you hold it to your head.

This is the newer version...we'll call it the 2nd generation for this discussion.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now, notice how the top and bottom curve around the corners of the phone and come down towards the screen, getting rid of that sharp edge of the 1st generation? A much better case.

Another shot of the 2nd generation...notice the larger camera/flash opening:

[​IMG]

The 2nd generation is the one you want. The one we're all complaining about is the 3rd generation that Otterbox has changed for the 4S. As far as I can tell, the only difference is the silicone inner layer. They've made it MUCH stiffer and because of this, the plastic shell isn't able to seat itself into the channels in the silicone. Why they did this, I have no idea.

The 3rd generation (that has the stiffer silicone) looks identical to the 2nd generation. The ONLY difference is the silicone. I was able to find the 2nd generation (remember, the one you want with larger camera/flash opening and softer inner silicone) at a local AT&T store. At this point, if you order directly from Otterbox, you're probably going to get the 3rd generation with the stiffer silicone and seating problems.

That's probably confusing as heck, but I'm just trying to explain so everyone can understand that may not have had previous generations of these cases. :D