Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
I found one locally at Radio Shack. I also had the commuter on my iPhone 4. The fit/finish of the iPhone 5 cases is a bit better in my opinion. I wish the plastic next to the headphone jack had a bit wider opening. It works for some of my headphones, but my Audio Technicas do not fit. I always keep my phone in my pocket and the case is just fine for that.

----------

The plugs on my ip5 commuter are snug. On my iPhone 4 commuter case, I had to return one to otterbox because the plugs were loose on day 1. They had great customer service and sent me a replacement one right away. I understand your concern though, the case would drive me nuts if the plugs didn't stay in place.

Does the Commuter have a built in screen protector like the Defender?

Sb1065

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2012
Ordered my Otterbox Commuter on Friday night around 11pm or so..Received it today...

so nice, much better build than the iphone 4 Commuter case...really thick and can tell it can withstand a fall..

i HIGHLY recommend this case for anyone who doesnt want a clunky case like the defender to protect their phone

----------

Does the Commuter have a built in screen protector like the Defender?

it comes with a screen protector that you have to apply

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Nice case, I used casemate tough for iphone 4s and I had commuter (2nd case- gift). This year case mate did poor job and I decided to go with Commuter. I found it in RadioShark. I tried Att(they have defenders, no commuters in stock), Apple(no cases/cables ), VZW(Defenders only), Sprint, WorstBuy... no Commuters.
I dont work for RadioShark or OtterBox.

Anfield08

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
To all you Otterbox Pre-Order folks: Have you received your Commuter case yet? I ordered 9/16 and don't even have shipment tracking. I'm curious where other Pre-Orderers stand at this point. It's interesting that they're stocked in storefront shelves and haven't fulfilled all the pre-orders yet.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Strange, my VZW Commuter didn't come with a screen protector either, but it was in the original packaging.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
To all you Otterbox Pre-Order folks: Have you received your Commuter case yet? I ordered 9/16 and don't even have shipment tracking. I'm curious where other Pre-Orderers stand at this point. It's interesting that they're stocked in storefront shelves and haven't fulfilled all the pre-orders yet.

I ordered off of their website last weekend and it shipped and will be here this week. Black case, FYI. That's pretty crazy.

Sgt93

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2010
TX
Mine just came in and it's nice. Not a fan of the screen protector but I have never been good at putting them on. Sleep button is a little hard but expected since it's part of the hard rubber frame. Overall, a nice case.

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012

I ordered on the 15th. I received tracking info at 11:25 pm on the 21st that said it would be delivered on the 26th. When it never showed up on the 26th I called them. I was put on hold while they checked what happened to my order. 30 mins later it disconnected the call.

I called back and the next cs said she wanted to talk to her manager to see what had happened to my order and she would call me right back. She never did but the next morning I received two emails confirming my order for a 4s case (I preordered the 5 case).

I called again the next day and in the end their finance dept had gotten that my card was charged but their cs and distribution dept didn't so they weren't allowing my order to go through. They put in another order for the case with free overnight shipping and said it'll take 2-3 days to process. They also said that they are going to refund the $8 I paid for expedited shipping. It hasn't happened yet so we'll have to see on that.

If you haven't heard anything from them, I'd suggest calling them to make sure your order didn't get lost somewhere.

ronaldcastillo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2009
Been using this case for a couple of days now, the case is really good and still feels light with the iPhone installed. The only HUGE problem is the lock/power button. It's quite hard pressing on it at most of time and sometimes locks it in making the "slide to power off" screen show up. What's weird is the volume up/down buttons are perfectly firm and easy to press but the lock button isn't. This has been one of the best cases I've used so far and if Otterbox tends to fix the rubber for the lock button it would make this case perfect.

TheGateKeeper

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
001.jpg

039.jpg

Good fit.Still feels light to me in the case.It has defiantly been made better than the one i had on the 4s.The plastic is raised around the corners.

kenrobin

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I just received my commuter case today. I found the fit to be very good, the rubber flaps that cover the lightning connector and the earphone plug to fit firmly in place. The case over the volume and power button are easy to use with a firm (but not hard) press with a great tactile and audible feedback. I have spine damage with a reduction in hand strength and find it easy to press the buttons.

As in anything, these are my opinions but I am happy with the case. It gives a nice feel, doesn't snag when removed from my pocket, and it does come with a screen protector (which I don't use as I keep my phone away from my keys and i have never found one that I liked).

I agree, I'm very satisfied with the Commuter. The sleep button does require a solid press but it's not overly challenging. You don't even think about after you've done it a few times.

jekim

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I just bought this case yesterday. When I have it on the bottom right corner looks lower then the bottom left. Is it possible that I have I on wrong. Or is there a trick to put it on correctly?

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I have been using a black Otterbox Commuter since Thursday and I finally had to ditch it this afternoon. I am very disgusted with it. It made my iPhone feel cheap for the following reasons...

- It's very hard and rigid to the point where it would hurt my hand and face while talking.

- The sleep/awake button is a nightmare to push.

- The flap covering the dock port is as strong as a tire and it puts extreme strain on the lightning connector while charging.

- It is very slick and likes to slide on a smooth surface as well as in my hand.

- Due to the lack of flex in the case, the fitment is far from perfect.

I had high expectations for this case due to the fact that I loved the Commuter on my 3GS & 4S. I would not reccomend this case to anyone. I just listed it on eBay after I got home from Radioshack where I bought a rental case by Ventev ($20). I really enjoy this Ventev case. It's a pleasure to hold, and it has a really nice feel compared to the Commuter. I have 5 different types of cases coming within the next week all for under $20. It will be fun to try them all out.

ipadfreak

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2010
How is the screen protector is comes with? Does it attract finger prints? Also, is the apple logo protected or no?

Adutrumque

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Sweden
Funny how people choose commuter over defender. Defender protects the iPhone better but offers a more bulky figure - but the commuter offers the exact same thing except its less protective and less bulky - BUT STILL as ugly as the defender.

Both are ugly cases.
Besides, its not a significant increase of bulk.

Xanderprime

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
Funny how people choose commuter over defender. Defender protects the iPhone better but offers a more bulky figure - but the commuter offers the exact same thing except its less protective and less bulky - BUT STILL as ugly as the defender.

Both are ugly cases.
Besides, its not a significant increase of bulk.
I have both and I agree that the defender is not that much bigger than the commuter. The commuter to me seems less refined than the defender overall. My commuter, that I'm returning, had some issues with molding of the rubber. My defender was perfect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.