Otterbox Defender IP5

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MikeyMike123, Oct 6, 2012.

1. MikeyMike123 macrumors newbie

Anyone else having a problem with the screen cover of Defender 5 case? I have bought it few days ago and later noticed that there are some strange colour distortion on the screen cover. First I thought it was just at the upper left corner. But then it disappeared the next day. This morning, it showed up again but on mid section. It's like moving across the screen. If you still don't get what I mean by colour distortion, it's kind of like map contours in rainbow colour in small area. As soon as I found out about this, I've sent an email to the support and they just asked me to send it back to the retailer that I bought from as I'm still in 30 days return period. But, I'm wondering if it's widespread issue or I'm just an unlucky individual.

EDIT : No it's not water or anything. I've taken it out and put it back in and made sure of it.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I dont have that problem - not saying its not a legitimate problem though.

3. dakota316 macrumors member

Its usual with the Defenders cases. Its watermarking is what its called. They had a bad problem on the 3GS with it, and it got a bit better on the 4 and the 4S. The big solution was to apply a puff of baby powder on the screen protector underneath to get rid of it. I also have a Defender on my iPhone 5, and of course also have that problem. Easiest solution I have is to get a SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector, and put it on the phone, and then put it in the defender. Never have had the problem since.

4. MikeyMike123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I like Otterbox products and bought several cases in the past, but never had this issue. This is the first time. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out and see if it works

5. orleanfyrfightr macrumors member

If that doesn't work just call and they will send you a replacement. Mine has a loose fit and allows the phone to move inside about 1/16th of an inch so I called, a 5 minute conversation and a replacement is in the mail. Otterbox has terrific customer service.

6. LikeMyIphone5 macrumors newbie

same problem

I have the same problem. You can tell it's just a tiny bit of slack in protector, because if you gently spread the case sides, it goes away. After a few moments, when the sides resettle it shows up again.
    I think i'll try to exchange mine and see if i have the same issue.

7. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

When I used the Defender for the GS3, I just popped the screen cover off and used a different screen protector. I didnt like the built in screen protector. Felt plastic-y and felt it affected the screen sensitivity.

8. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Super, super, super common issue. Just remove that stupid built-in screen protector. Install a better one directly to the phone.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Like an Invisible Shield?

My problem is that I don't want a plain black otterbox case, instead, something fancy. I guess I'll just have to wait a bit more.

10. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Ugh, no. I don't know why people use the zagg shields. It turns the glass surface into something that feels like the skin of an orange.

I personally use the glas.t protector:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1465731

..and the otterbox defender is available in many colors other than black.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I installed an Invisible Shield on my iphone this week and it's smooth. As far as Otterbox colors, just try to find one for the ip5 in something other than black. So far no luck for me.

12. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

Just try to find one other than black........ what? Go on amazon. The defender is available in 9 colors other than black. Or in 7 colors other than black from the Otterbox website. This could not be any easier.

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I was trying to find one locally. I'm sure that availability is changing by the day.

14. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

With all the time you're wasting by trying to hunt down a certain color case, you could have ordered online and had it by now. Not only that, it would be $10-$15 cheaper on Amazon than paying full retail in the store.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the wisdom...:rolleyes:

16. iamthekiller macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you need it. Keep looking locally though. That sounds to really be working out and worth your effort.