Otterbox defender: Not what I expected

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by RuggedPro, Sep 27, 2010.

1. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Just got the otterbox defender for my iphone 4. I'm not sure what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't such fragile feeling plastic. I feel like I could shatter the case by just squeezing my hand.

I think I figured the plastic of the case would be of the same thickness, feeling, and rigidity of the holster.

Suggestions for something a bit more bomb proof?

2. bcp23 macrumors member

3. Resist macrumors 68030

The HC Ballistic is interesting, but just like the Otterbox Defender, it doesn't protect the back camera lens. Nor does it provide 4 layers of protection. The fact is that the screen is only protected by 1 layer. There is no place on the iPhone that this case uses 4 layers to protect it with.

Just like Otterbox, it is their wording that is incorrect concerning the layers of protection. These companies need to stop saying their products provide 'X' number of layers of protection, this implies you get them all on top of each other.

4. Brother Esau macrumors 6502

The OTTERBOX DEFENDER is very Rugged & trust me you will not find a better quality case that offers complete protection! I have had my iPhone in the Defender for a year now and have dropped it several times on pavement from holding it to my ear talking & i'm 6' 4" tall and there's not a scratch or damage to any degree also they tested the rigidity of this case by throwing it against a wall with the iPhone in it to prove how much protection it offers! I have done the same & my phone is fine!;)

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

6. Jooles macrumors member

and retard-proof

7. Trat macrumors regular

If I drop my iPhone, my insurance will get me a new one. Much nicer than these tanks...

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I just sent OB an email this morning with all the info they asked for this morning because my casing feels fragile and my silicone is stretching near the home button. Hopefully I'll have a replacement soon enough.

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What insurance is that?

Marc

10. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

It took 3 days from when they acknowledged my email.

11. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Thanks for the confirmation.

12. mpossoff macrumors 68020

In my opinion I think the Otterbox offers best protection in terms of it's slimness/bulkiness ratio. It's not too bulky at all for a case in it's class of max protect type cases compared to the ballistic, seidio rugged, etc.

The only complaint I have is a gasket to cover rear camera/flash. I don't like it exposed.

On the other hand I just got an extra large leather belt case that fits the defender like it was made for it. This means doesn't expose the rear stuff.

Marc

13. scott99 macrumors 6502a

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

That's why it's better to call. I just called cause I have same issue with the silicon. Got in touch and sending out a replacement.

Marc

15. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I'm assuming he meant it takes 3 days to receive the package from the acknowledgement email. I just received my confirmation email for a new Defender. I should have it by the weekend.

16. mpossoff macrumors 68020

A new defender or the silicon part the defender?

Marc

17. RuggedPro thread starter macrumors regular

How many other cases did you test before you decided this? What tests did you put them through?

Or are you just saying this because your phone is still intact after all your abuse?

I think my expectations were high. I was expecting what I once read: "the hummer of iphone cases". Perhaps they meant relative to what is available.

The ballistic case looks like the otterbox tweaked but without hands on experience, I can't comment. Suppose I'll order one and see if it's the better mousetrap.

18. RuggedPro thread starter macrumors regular

I agree however, this is a case where function trumps form, in my application.

19. mpossoff macrumors 68020

I agree and the same can be applied to the Otterbox.

Marc

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

According to the email I got it looks like they sent me a new defender. I had an issue with the weakness of the casing plus the silicone was becoming loose as well. I'll post back once I receive it in a few days.

21. RuggedPro thread starter macrumors regular

By "case" I meant "instance". Poor wording on my part.

This is an instance were I need function much more than form.

Again, my mistake.

22. Resist macrumors 68030

True there are several accident protection coverages out there. But they come at a much higher cost than a good case. And you have to be without an iPhone while your claim is being processed.

23. Resist macrumors 68030

True there are several accident protection coverages out there. But they come at a much higher cost than a good case. And you have to be without an iPhone while your claim is being processed.

24. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My Defender came in the mail yesterday and I'm very satisfied. Put it on yesterday and could tell the difference immediately. I prefer this case over the other 4 I have. May not look the best or be the smallest, but it comes in handy when you least expect it.

25. scott99 macrumors 6502a

They have GREAT customer service ! They sent me a new Otterbox for my 3G when the silicone ripped, they sent it to me sight unseen (no proof needed). Amazing company, and was my preferred case for my iPhone 3G.