Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
i took off my otter box case:( I noticed that my picture quality had diminished a lot with the clear plastic over the camera lens... and that with the power support screen protector and the plastic screen protector on the case was also diminishing my screen quality :( I really love this case and I am still debating whether or not to reinstall it on my now NAKED iphone.

Anytime you install a device into a protective case, you invite some possible diminished functionality.

The more protective the case, the more likely you will see some adverse indication.

The alternative is diminished protection, you know how you use your phone and where you take it on a regular basis so you have to decided on what compromise to make.

If you work/play in harsh environments you might want to side with max protection.

Work in an office with carpeted floors all over the place, live a docile lifestyle than GO NAKED.

Work in a garage, ride motorcycle off road than you might want to have MAX PROTECTION.

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
i miss being able to put my iphone down anywhere without fear of scratching the back... so I might be modding my otterbox defender case a little and see how that works.... I'm thinking of removing the protective screen and the camera hole cover.

pmw

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2008
Sweden
Mine as holes...

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/8069/photoesw.jpg[/IMGb][/QUOTE]

A bit OT, but I really like that anime wallpaper, is it a private piece of art of something public you'd consider sharing?
/M

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Hot dang!! I dove in and purchased one today and I am liking it so far I feel comfortable with it like I can put it close to the edge of a table, without watching it constantly. I mtn bike and off-road extensivly so this case will save my phone for sure!! I have not been satisfied with a case yet but here is to hoping. I will try to post back in a few weeks of use.

I do hate the Screen watermark looking issue!
To the guy who cut the screen off - how much dust gets in?

Could Otterbox just take the screen off and add foam (much like the foam donuts for the speaker) around the whole screen. So with a screen protecter of choice on it the foam would keep the dust and minor water out. That way when the otterbox case screen gets scratched you wont have to buy a new one, you could just replace the screen protector. This seems like the ultimate solution!!! What do you think?

wilderness1957

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Wanted to add my 2cents....

I carry a 3gs 16gb Black iPhone. It stays in its Otterbox Case. I carry it in the pouch on my duty rig vest. About 3 weeks ago I had to jump into a river. I knew full well my phone was going to be toast. Turns out it was perfectly fine. When I got out and started to shed my gear I pulled the phone out and the pouch had water draining from the eyelets on the bottom of it. The case was obviously wet, but working perfectly. I opened the case and the phone was perfectly dry. None of the water sensors were tripped. The Blackberry (the official issued work phone) was in an Otterbox case well and same results.

Not saying they are waterproof, but they are pretty close.... and they might not be pretty... but neither are most of us carrying them now are we.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    771.5 KB · Views: 71

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Hot dang!! I dove in and purchased one today and I am liking it so far I feel comfortable with it like I can put it close to the edge of a table, without watching it constantly. I mtn bike and off-road extensivly so this case will save my phone for sure!! I have not been satisfied with a case yet but here is to hoping. I will try to post back in a few weeks of use.

I do hate the Screen watermark looking issue!
To the guy who cut the screen off - how much dust gets in?

Could Otterbox just take the screen off and add foam (much like the foam donuts for the speaker) around the whole screen. So with a screen protecter of choice on it the foam would keep the dust and minor water out. That way when the otterbox case screen gets scratched you wont have to buy a new one, you could just replace the screen protector. This seems like the ultimate solution!!! What do you think?

Pocket dust does make its way in thru the edges around where the screen protector used to be... Not a big deal.

wilderness1957

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
belt loop? can i attach carabiner(sp) to it? who makes it? link? where did you by?

Love the Defender also... i've been looking for a solution like this....

It is made by 5.11 here is the link

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...uch/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10500:10501/I/58719

I use it when off duty as well and you wear it on a belt. The tounge depressors show the slots the straps slide thru and snap into.

My Otterbox is also almost a year old. I had it on my 3g and it has the white paper looking covers over the mic and 2 speakers

Note: this is not the Dinner Wear type of pouch, but the 5.11 gear has taken me to over 50 countries overseas and brought me home alive.

Attachments

• IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    886.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    981.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0156.JPG
    IMG_0156.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85

wilderness1957

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Yes the case was in that pouch and it was on my chest kind of low right side. I jumped in the river from bridge and dove down about 3 or 4 times to the bottom of the river (8 to 10 ft maybe). I think the thing that save me was the rubber flaps and removing the iPhone right away. I was really expecting a ruined phone. (my motorola radio died because of that submersion)

my blackberry was also in an otterbox and it survived as well

nezff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
glad to see everyone giving the otterbox a chance. I have a couple otterbox cases just sitting here extra.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
glad to see everyone giving the otterbox a chance. I have a couple otterbox cases just sitting here extra.

if you are willing to part with one my best friend has dubbed my new Otterbox "The Tank" and he was making fun of me to his wife and then she said that she wanted one cause then it would survive there 1 year old! I thought it was funny and then proceeded to tell her they come in white. What would you sell a white one for? and did you have any first gen cases?

Also I am in the process of writing a review, for my blog, for the case and am comparing it to another case I just purchased and also reviewing the customer service, seeing how otterbox has been very responsive to my requests and questions while Incase has yet to respond to me.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
What about car mounts? I've thought about getting one but I have a Kensington Car mount (for my Navigon) and I'd not want to have to remove the case every time I get in the car. Even with a slight increase in bulk, it might be too much.

You could try a Brodit holder which is adjustable and what I use. I have never tried it with an Otterbox though as i don't have one yet:

http://www.proclipusa.com/?sectionpath=143&pageid=13758&processor=content&p_origin=143&p_sectionid=143&p_pageid=8900&p_processor=asp&p_asp_processor=product&p_action=proclipcategorysearch&p_ppagecategoryid=&p_pagecategoryid=&p_pcategoryid=&p_categoryid=&p_sitecategoryid=&p_year=&p_countryid=1036&p_leftorright=

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I would like to simply see a dock extender that could lock into various docks and provide enough reach through the thickness of the case.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Screen Problems solved!

Ok so I solved the screen issues!!
The issue of the wet marks and the issue of the corners not responding.

I figured since they are both related to the same thing, the screen shield, just get rid of it. So I did but that lets dirt in so I added a foam seal, as can be seen in the pictures.

JollyRogers

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Virginia
Ok so I solved the screen issues!!
The issue of the wet marks and the issue of the corners not responding.

I figured since they are both related to the same thing, the screen shield, just get rid of it. So I did but that lets dirt in so I added a foam seal, as can be seen in the pictures.

Great idea!!! Wish I had thought of that on my Otterbox for my 1st gen iPhone :)

I love my Otterbox(s). I bought one at a Navy exchange back when they 1st came out for the iPhone. In the parking lot, I installed my phone and was like this screen protector thing sucks, so I ripped it off and just kept going. I work onboard ships a lot and the defender case kept things like new for my iPhone, which I have now passed to my son... and it's still in the Otterbox.

My 1st gen Otterbox holster broke. Otterbox sent me a new one at no charge. That sold me on their customer service, plus they didnt even hesitate and were nice about it. I purchased one for my wife's 3G after xmas and got another for my 3GS 1 week after I got it.

The "water mark" issue. I use gold's foot powder (no baby powder handy). Works good.

The holster issue for the 3G, 3GS... I have a black hair band around the belt clip and if I need extra holding power I pull it up over the phone. Have white one for the wife (her Otterbox is white) and she uses it a lot when out gardening etc. I also ride motorcycles and will put the phone in the holster and instead of clipping to outside of my belt, I loosen my belt and clip it on the inside. It is on me and isn't going anywhere. I worry if I go down, that my phone will be on me to call for help, so that was my answer vice putting it on my bike somewhere. Not always a place to put it otherwise also (no bag or pockets).

Ugly? People are always asking me what kind of phone is that I have cause they don't realize it's an iphone in a case.

enileda7

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
Singapore
Hey, I work in an environment surrounded by oils, fuel, hydraulics & dirt..my hands are often covered with such stuffs.

Just wondering what is a good way to just clean my otterbox on a daily basis? As in just the outside of the case or something..

thanks.

gofish

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
Echo

While using my iphone with the Otter case I have only noticed the echo only one time. However, the person on the other end of the phone frequently complaines that they can hear their own voice. I have realized that when the echo occurs if i simply uncover the port that accesses the charging port on the phone the echo will stop.

nezff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
the screen issue has been resolved for me with the power support anti glare film. works great.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
the screen issue has been resolved for me with the power support anti glare film. works great.

Yeah I did that at first too then realized that it made the screen quality look like  (for those not looking at this on the iPhone it is the icon for poop) I couldn't take the screen degradation, as well as the corners being harder to touch.

westbank1

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Let me start out by saying I just made an account to post my experience with Otterbox. I am amazed at how fast and easy their customer service is to deal with. I experienced a problem with a scratch on the clear protective screen on my Otterbox Defender that i purchased off eBay a few weeks ago. I was worried that not buying from a retail store would do away with any kind of warranty or customer support. Boy, was I wrong. I wrote by email and had a response within 10 minutes!! I'm not sure how long the warranty is for, but they shipped out a replacement case today! I don't even have to ship them back the old case.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Would anyone like to swap a white hard shell for a black one? I don't want to buy a whole new case to get the different colors.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
My only complaint with the otterbox is the watermark thing, but it doesn't bother me much. I like the rugged look of the case and the extra protection it gives. I didn't buy an iPhone to look "cute" at the mall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.