OUch, AT&T RIP OFF - iPhone 3G allure

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OriginalMasta, May 29, 2009.

1. OriginalMasta macrumors member

This is a total rant - and so be warned:

I pay $162+ a month, 2 iphones, 3 lines, unlimited texting on all 3 lines. AFTER 25% discount (which AT&T royally ****ed me over with every other 3 months), I am left with a bill that I'm now considering dropping AT&T for Tmobile completely - while taking my iPhones with me over to Tmobile.

You calculate the costs here, $162 * 24 months = $3888 for what now? I didn't realize it would be this large sum because the allure of two shiny iphones blinded me so badly, I didn't care. I was content originally because the discounted pricing was suppose to be around $140/month. Somehow AT&T ****ed up the billing LIKE ALWAYS - and I get some lame excuse about the costs not discounted being my employer didn't support it anymore - which is a total LIE.

You get promised this and that BEFORE YOU SIGN UP. Only after having signed up after the 30 day return date, you get ****ed on the billing by AT&T. I am content with the payment but after yesterday's phone conversation with AT&T business care, I am left with the same bitter taste I had when I was a customer with them back when they first started GSM service. I left them then for the exact same reasons I am regretting today - the utter bullshxt crappy services from 3G network, and the really bad customer service along with incorrect billings!

I'm going to eat up the ETF of $175 *3 which after taxes probably equates to about 3+ months of service anyway. I can get on tmobile with all 3 lines and unlimited texting for $67 before taxes after my business discounts.

I just want you all to know what the numbers come to after all the smoke is cleared. The iPhone is an awesome phone - but AT&T is the worse partner Apple can pair up with.

2. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, same here. However, here's a few things that might help you out.

First, Jailbreak your iPhone's. There's TONS of kick ass apps that will raise the value of your phone to you.

Also, then you can *cough* borrow apps if you want.

Keep checking the internet for AT&T's change in terms and conditions, then you can get out of the ETF.

3. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

they don't tell you jack shxt about their change in anything - when I called, they disrespectfully lied about how my employer discounting changed and they sent a text message to our phone regarding this change in discount which is utter BS because I did not receive jack dookie.

AT&T lies about alot of things. The first thing that will come to mind is when they CHARGE for MMS under the new 3.0 OS. I'm willing to eat the $575 ETF charges to move back to TMobile. I don't want to pay $162 for shotty service, outrageous billings/and incorrect billings which I have to deal with almost every other month.

$3888 for two years is a HUGE deal - or shall I say huge raping on my wallet. I don't know how you 3/4/5 iphone family plan guys handle this raping.

4. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Your rant is big on raving and short on details.

I hope you feel better now you got that off your chest, because there is really not much I can comment on as you don't really provide any information as to what happened to you, or really what you are upset about.

5. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

1) Promised to pay $110 a month for three phones, 2 of which are iphones and unlimited data (for the 2 iphones), unlimited texting for all 4 lines(initially).
    1b) Promised this by AT&T salesmen. Over and over with an employee discount of 25% will make monthly bill about $120 a month after taxes. This is so I will carry all FOUR of my TMobile lines over to AT&T.

2) AFter getting iPhones, had to wait 30 days for billing to "update" with correct billing info because of new account.
    2b) After the 35th day, I went into the store to have a talk with saleman that sold me the deal. The bill came out to a whopping $185 with the incorrect discounts applied, so I had to drop one of the lines to reduce the costs to about $168 before discounts applied.

3) Another month goes by, they screw up the bill again, and this time, bill ended up to be around $145 a month with 2 iphones, 3 lines, 2 data packages, unlimited texting all three lines. They even CHARGED for the 4th line which was cancelled within before 30 days!

4) Another month goes by, after the discount fix, the price comes to about $148 a month and this time, I was pissed off - what was promised before signup did not come true. Saleman says sorry, I can't help you. So now we are stuck with paying $153 a month after discounts that didn't apply somehow.

5) odd months go by, we get yet more incorrect billings and bill fluctuates to around $163 for no reason. We argue back and forth, get some credits applied.

6) Months go by again, we hover around $153 a month, then all of a sudden, I get a bill for $168 and when I called in business care, they just said discount didn't apply to the text messaging - WHICH they claimed blah blah blah was not supported any more - which I knew was a LIE.

7) today - rant on forum because I'm sick of AT&T lies and billing errors.

It isn't until after the 30 day return policy date do you see the actual BILL. Which you can't argue any more even if you wanted to because it's past 30 days. I didn't want to cancel the 35th day because that would be $575 + return of iPhones. Now almost a year later, I will get rid of this POS AT&T.

6. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

already jailbroken, and unlocked for Tmobile.

7. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Sucks that happened to you. I've been with AT&T/Cingular since 2002 and I've only had one minor phone issue that was resolved without hassle.

Good luck.

8. pugnut macrumors 6502a

It was not really that hard to do the math before you signed the contact, and yes it is a contract, which more then likely you did not read. It is not AT&T;s fault you can not add. If the billing is not correct write the FCC and the Local public utility.

9. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

The issues are resolved alright - but the biggest problem isn't the 'technical issues' nor the data service - it is the price and the deceit of AT&T employees selling you these deals that their system screws up when discounts don't apply when you were promised they do. Then after 30 days, you realize the billing is not correct and you cannot do jack about it without costing you major $.

Bottom line - AT&T is really a shxtty company. I just wished Apple would pair up with other networks.

10. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

wait until you get to deal with billing errors - I'dlike to hear about your problems too. I know the costs before signing up - but only AFTER signing up, these discounts don't get applied correctly or didn't exist in the first place. and when you are a new account, you don't see your bill until after 30 days. Which is too late anyway to cancel. You see how this works in favor of AT&T?

I'm very sure I'm not the only one with this problem.

11. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

I haven't had a single billing problem and all of my corporate discounts are applied properly every month. Sounds like you just have bad luck or didn't read the fine print.

12. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

The fine print? Do they happily tell you the outrageous local, state, federal taxes that are charged as well BEFORE you sign up? I don't think so...fine print for the monthly cost is easily calculated. However, they don't disclose the typical tax added which can exceed and additional $25-$30 a month!

13. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Actually yes, that information is included in the contract details. It is up to you to do the research to find out what those fees are and if you accept them.

14. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

well enjoy getting raped by AT&T for your iPhones. I'm cancelling AT&T more bars = more rapes.

Love the iPhone - HATE AT&T.

15. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Like I said, I've never experienced any absurd fees on my bill. Total government/state fees and taxes for two lines is $5.80.

16. silentsal macrumors member

This sounds more like a personal problem than a problem with AT&T. Did you talk with your business to see if the rate is still valid? If so did you get your boss to call AT&T and get the 25% straightened out?

Did you add up what you thought it would cost before you went into AT&T and asked them what it would cost? When you said that it would cost $110 for 4 lines and 2 iPhones, I could tell you right there its wrong. Try doing research before you go into a store and signing a contract willy nilly.

Yes AT&T changed your bill and you should be reimbursed for the rip off but this all could have been avoided if you had researched ahead of time.

17. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

riiiiiiiight....let's see here - and these are only the first TWO lines excluding the third line:

billing info:
    2nd line of service:
    County 911 service fee: 0.50
    State 911 service fee: 0.20
    State sales tax: $0.80
    City sales tax: $0.35
    Regulatory cost recovery charge: $1.25
    City utility users surcharge: $0.75
    Federal Universal Service Charge: $0.35
    Total for 2nd line (fees & taxes): $4.20

1st Line of service:
    County 911 service fee: 0.50
    State 911 service fee: 0.20
    State sales tax: $6.37
    City sales tax: $2.77
    Regulatory cost recovery charge: $1.25
    City utility users surcharge: $5.87
    Federal Universal Service Charge: $1.22
    Total for 1st line (fees & taxes): $18.18

18. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

of course it was done before. You don't just jump 4 lines from TMobile (without contract at the time) over to AT&T without doing the homework. It is the plain LIES from both retail salemen AND AT&T corp. who can't seem to get their computers to compute correct billing each month. Had this problem back in the late 90's...after quitting them, same problems in 2009. I'm not the only one who has issues with AT&T for billing, you know.

This is a pure rant thread. So of course I'm pissed off enough to rant off.

19. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Credits, Adjustments & Other Charges
    Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge 0.88
    Federal Universal Service Charge 1.09
    State Gross Receipts Surcharge 3.67
    National Account Discount -12.00
    TOTAL CREDITS, ADJUSTMENTS & OTHER CHARGES -$6.36
    Government Fees & Taxes
    911 Service Fee 1.00
    PA State Sales Tax 4.40
    TOTAL GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES $5.40

Looks like you aren't getting your company discount applied there.

20. robothero macrumors 6502

robothero

Yeah, I have a 15% discount and for two lines (BB and iPhone right now, but the plans are basically identical) it's closer to 140$. No way you'd be getting 4 lines for less than that, especially with two iphones on it.

21. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

no, discounts get applied - but never to surcharges or taxes/fees. Don't mix up the two. They discount off the main line first, then add the taxes. We're comparing taxes and surchages. You say you get both lines (which govt taxes/fees) for $5.40 for two lines. I don't get that which is why I also have a rant against these stupid fees/charges.

Bottom line, i've never had a billing problem with TMobile and they don't have these crazy ass billing errors from time to time. Glad to see you are one of the few who enjoy AT&T.

22. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Are you okay with losing 3G when you go to T-Mobile? T-Mobile's 3G network only operates on the 1700MHz band, with which the iPhone 3G (and pretty much any device not made for T-Mobile's 3G network specifically) is not compatible.

23. silentsal macrumors member

Never said you were the only one but I am saying that you did the research to switch to T-mobile but you didn't do the research on signing up for AT&T.

Just to let you know...all companies lie to you at some point...it's almost like a law of a business. Also electronics are only as smart as the people who use them.

24. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

As bad as I feel about your situation, I can say I've never had a problem that AT&T hasn't resolved right away, I have 2 x 3G iPhones on my plan, and I pay around 170 a month, but that's basically unlimited everything. Once again I'm sorry you're having these problems. I hope you get it straighten out.

25. OriginalMasta thread starter macrumors member

seriously, the iPhone 3G is a wonderful device. But I'd rather sell the unlocked iPhones to recoupe some costs. Then I'll pick up an iPod touch to use. I cannot deal with AT&T headaches any more and the pain aint worth the $3888 24 month contract either!

Those that are paying $170 a month or more, you guys are craaaaazzzzy! I'm never gonna make this apple tax/at&T blunder again. jesus, money thrown out the window straight into AT&T's greedy as s mouth.