our MBA are out of date now

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by stark4, Jun 11, 2012.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

For those with 2011 MBA don't you feel that your MBA is out of date now? I got that feeling after I watched the keynote with new line up of MBA. I fell that there is better MBA out there now and mine is out dated or second best.

2. The Catalyst macrumors 6502

our MBA are out of date now?

Nope, not at all.

My 2011 MBA still does everything I expect of it and I plan to keep using it for at least a few more years.

3. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Well, it isn't really "outdated" but obviously it is 2nd best.

4. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

That's silly...I'm on my ibook G4,and it does what i need....if your air is working for what you need....then it's not second best or out dated at all....

5. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

To be honest, i doubt the average person would be able to tell the difference between the two models in general use.

You have a 2011 MBA. You are luckier than most people in this world. Be happy with what you have and remember that it could all be gone tomorrow.

6. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    very philosophical - I like it.

one day, all our money and property will belong to someone else - hopefully our kids or family.
    everything we now own, is the stuff of:
    future garage sales
    scrap merchants and land fills.
    everything.
    in fact we're now moving so fast, that even the thing we just bought and absolutely love will be obsolete in a year's time - if not sooner - Apple products excepted - or are they … … :rolleyes:

7. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

What??? Are you 14? That would explain why you feel like this.

8. theSeb, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Waaah! Not the best any more!! :( :( :( :( :(

Yes, I would feel that way... if I was 12 years old.

Get used to living in the big boy world or you're going to be wasting a lot of money on psychiatrist fees. There is always someone better, more intelligent, more handsome and richer than you and they have better things than you as well.

Edit: I can also suggest that you use the same approach as some other MR users take to cheer themselves up.

1. Convince yourself that the new upgraded version is rubbish and yours is the best one.
    2. Now you need to make lots of threads about how the new model is over priced, or not expensive enough, or has too many ports, or too few ports, or over heats, or is too cold in the winter, or is too loud, or is too silent, or is too small, or is too large or how you could go on a holiday instead of buying the new computer and anyone buying it is an unashamed capitalist pig caught in the circle of consumerism and so forth.

This is a technique that's been tried and tested by man on these forums. I would check out the MBP sub-forum right now for picking up some handy tips on how to execute this.

Good luck!

9. PeterJP macrumors regular

Feel free to dump yours at my place. I'll gladly accept an additional $100 to help you get rid of it.

Peter.

10. alflavor macrumors regular

Of course, I would like to get the new MBA, but my 2010 model does everything I need it too - I would like a bigger SSD and wouldn't get the base again - but this was my 1st mac so...

I will probably skip this gen, and get a '2013' air (maybe a 2012 iMac if and when..) but then there's new iPhones and iPads to come later this year/early next - can't keep pace with it all!!

11. KPOM macrumors G5

The 2012 was mostly an evolutionary upgrade. Apple did what they needed to do in order to keep it current, but didn't raise the bar any further. The 2011s are still quite capable machines.

12. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

It's always been that way with computers. Whatever you have now won't remain the latest and greatest for more than a year. Trying to play catch-up is an exercise in futility. Best to just keep using what you have until you find that it's just not up to running the latest software. Right now an Air that was bought a year or two ago is still fine. I think the only folks who really need the latest and greatest are the gamers and video producers.

----------

Nothing compelling in the latest update that would make me feel like the new one is a must-have.

13. Liquinn Suspended

What does the latest and greatest mean?

14. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

It's an expression used in American English which I won't bother to explain since I'm sure most of the people in this forum are familiar with it.

15. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

ha!!! I knew it! your just trying to save up for the new MBA to! lol.

16. PeterJP macrumors regular

Well guessed ! Any donations are welcome on my PayPal account.

Peter.

17. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm....

You were trying to be funny here, right?

18. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Yes, your MBA is definitely outdated now, but I wouldn't buy the 2012 one today because it is 1 day old now and a new release could be anywhere from 6 - 200 months away and I wouldn't want you to experience this feeling again then.

19. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

damn.. didn't know i'll get so much hate for this post. Don't get me wrong.. i love my MBA and i'll still be using it for next 2 or 3 years at least.. but we all know now that there is better one out there if we wanted to buy it right now.

20. nexsta macrumors 6502

I was a bit happy that the update was just minor. I don't feel like I need to update my 11". I think I would feel different if the batterylife would be dramatically better and the display bigger + thinner bezel in the same form factor. If the next one will get this features I will update directly.

21. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

If you own a 15" 2011 MBP then, yes, it's outdated compared to the 2012. (Although it probably still does everything you need it to do) IMHO, the 2012 MBA is a relatively minor upgrade and I don't feel my 2011 is outdated in the slightest. The revolutionary jump was from 2010 MBA to 2011 MBA. This jump is evolutionary at best.

22. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

probably 12

23. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

There is always a new model just around the corner. Cars, houses, wives, etc... If the current model does what you need it to do, then fine. If not, upgrade.

24. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I'll give you $100 for your outdated, second rate MBA, so that you can run out and get the new one.

25. nive0us macrumors newbie

nive0us

Nah, I'll keep this for a long time now. Works just fine and look slimmed :cool: