our MBA are out of date now

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
For those with 2011 MBA don't you feel that your MBA is out of date now? I got that feeling after I watched the keynote with new line up of MBA. I fell that there is better MBA out there now and mine is out dated or second best.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
our MBA are out of date now?

Nope, not at all.

My 2011 MBA still does everything I expect of it and I plan to keep using it for at least a few more years.

Comment

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
For those with 2011 MBA don't you feel that your MBA is out of date now? I got that feeling after I watched the keynote with new line up of MBA. I fell that there is better MBA out there now and mine is out dated or second best.
Well, it isn't really "outdated" but obviously it is 2nd best.

Comment

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
That's silly...I'm on my ibook G4,and it does what i need....if your air is working for what you need....then it's not second best or out dated at all....

Comment

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2012
To be honest, i doubt the average person would be able to tell the difference between the two models in general use.

You have a 2011 MBA. You are luckier than most people in this world. Be happy with what you have and remember that it could all be gone tomorrow.

Comment

halledise

macrumors 65816
To be honest, i doubt the average person would be able to tell the difference between the two models in general use.

You have a 2011 MBA. You are luckier than most people in this world. Be happy with what you have and remember that it could all be gone tomorrow.
very philosophical - I like it.

one day, all our money and property will belong to someone else - hopefully our kids or family.
everything we now own, is the stuff of:
future garage sales
scrap merchants and land fills.
everything.
in fact we're now moving so fast, that even the thing we just bought and absolutely love will be obsolete in a year's time - if not sooner - Apple products excepted - or are they … … :rolleyes:

Comment

hawk1410

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
What??? Are you 14? That would explain why you feel like this.

Comment

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
Waaah! Not the best any more!! :( :( :( :( :(

Yes, I would feel that way... if I was 12 years old.

Get used to living in the big boy world or you're going to be wasting a lot of money on psychiatrist fees. There is always someone better, more intelligent, more handsome and richer than you and they have better things than you as well.

Edit: I can also suggest that you use the same approach as some other MR users take to cheer themselves up.

1. Convince yourself that the new upgraded version is rubbish and yours is the best one.
2. Now you need to make lots of threads about how the new model is over priced, or not expensive enough, or has too many ports, or too few ports, or over heats, or is too cold in the winter, or is too loud, or is too silent, or is too small, or is too large or how you could go on a holiday instead of buying the new computer and anyone buying it is an unashamed capitalist pig caught in the circle of consumerism and so forth.

This is a technique that's been tried and tested by man on these forums. I would check out the MBP sub-forum right now for picking up some handy tips on how to execute this.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Comment

PeterJP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Feel free to dump yours at my place. I'll gladly accept an additional $100 to help you get rid of it.

Peter.

Comment

alflavor

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2010
Whittlesey, UK
Of course, I would like to get the new MBA, but my 2010 model does everything I need it too - I would like a bigger SSD and wouldn't get the base again - but this was my 1st mac so...

I will probably skip this gen, and get a '2013' air (maybe a 2012 iMac if and when..) but then there's new iPhones and iPads to come later this year/early next - can't keep pace with it all!!

Comment

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
The 2012 was mostly an evolutionary upgrade. Apple did what they needed to do in order to keep it current, but didn't raise the bar any further. The 2011s are still quite capable machines.

Comment

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
It's always been that way with computers. Whatever you have now won't remain the latest and greatest for more than a year. Trying to play catch-up is an exercise in futility. Best to just keep using what you have until you find that it's just not up to running the latest software. Right now an Air that was bought a year or two ago is still fine. I think the only folks who really need the latest and greatest are the gamers and video producers.

----------

The 2012 was mostly an evolutionary upgrade. Apple did what they needed to do in order to keep it current, but didn't raise the bar any further. The 2011s are still quite capable machines.
Nothing compelling in the latest update that would make me feel like the new one is a must-have.

Comment

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
It's always been that way with computers. Whatever you have now won't remain the latest and greatest for more than a year. Trying to play catch-up is an exercise in futility. Best to just keep using what you have until you find that it's just not up to running the latest software. Right now an Air that was bought a year or two ago is still fine. I think the only folks who really need the latest and greatest are the gamers and video producers.
What does the latest and greatest mean?

Comment

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Hmmm....

You were trying to be funny here, right?

Comment

wineandcarbs

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
Yes, your MBA is definitely outdated now, but I wouldn't buy the 2012 one today because it is 1 day old now and a new release could be anywhere from 6 - 200 months away and I wouldn't want you to experience this feeling again then.

Comment

stark4

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Florida
damn.. didn't know i'll get so much hate for this post. Don't get me wrong.. i love my MBA and i'll still be using it for next 2 or 3 years at least.. but we all know now that there is better one out there if we wanted to buy it right now.

Comment

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I was a bit happy that the update was just minor. I don't feel like I need to update my 11". I think I would feel different if the batterylife would be dramatically better and the display bigger + thinner bezel in the same form factor. If the next one will get this features I will update directly.

Comment

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
If you own a 15" 2011 MBP then, yes, it's outdated compared to the 2012. (Although it probably still does everything you need it to do) IMHO, the 2012 MBA is a relatively minor upgrade and I don't feel my 2011 is outdated in the slightest. The revolutionary jump was from 2010 MBA to 2011 MBA. This jump is evolutionary at best.

Comment

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

There is always a new model just around the corner. Cars, houses, wives, etc... If the current model does what you need it to do, then fine. If not, upgrade.

Comment

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I'll give you $100 for your outdated, second rate MBA, so that you can run out and get the new one.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.