Out of curiosity, does your iPhone 4 lag at this point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

If you're like me and don't delete your photos/videos from your phone, use it as an iPod, and make use of it in just about every other way, I want to know if you experience any lag at this point in its life.

I don't have my phone handy so I don't know exact stats, but I have 5GB music, around 650 photos and 50 videos, 4 email accounts in the Mail app, lots of Safari bookmarks, only 9 downloaded apps (that's just the way I am), lots of notes in the Notes app and lots of text messages that have never been cleared since I got the phone on launch day.

The only place my phone noticeably lags is in the Camera app. Occasionally the text messages get a little weird. I don't think the iPod ever lags though.

I'm curious where everyone else's phones stand.

2. iBryton macrumors regular

Yes, sometimes the camera on my iPhone 4 is laggy, and I don't have much space left.

3. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You really should consider downloading the photos in your camera roll to your computer. You can arrange them in folders and sync them back to your phone. To many photos in the camera roll can cause corruption, and you stand a very good chance of loosing them all.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No, mine doesn't lag. However, I don't have as much on mine as the OP. I have 7.7GB left on my 16GB iPhone.

5. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I'm the same as you lot's of music pictures/video's 3 email accounts bookmarks tons of apps never clear my texts and yes the camera does lag sometimes same with text messages

6. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

I didn't know that. If I put them into folders and sync them back, will they be on my phone in folders?

7. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Yes, in you photo album, right underneath the camera roll.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You can arrange/sort your photos however you want and select what folders to sync back.

Attached Files:

9. SomeDudeAsking macrumors 65816

If taking lots of photos causes iOS to corrupt itself, then it's a pretty piss poor operating system.

10. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I never said that it caused iOS to corrupt. And I never said that TAKING lots of photos causes corruption.

11. ZZANG macrumors regular

ZZANG

Ive noticed by iPhone not being quite as snappy... Annoying actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I have exactly 7.7 GB left also haha that's funny. No lag. I'm not sure if lag has to do with any amount of space you have left though. Just do a restore or reset your phone.

13. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm noticing a lot of lag when typing...my girlfriend also on her iP4.

14. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

No lag anywhere, and I'm very atune to such things. It was actually quite bad on my 3GS with the latest OS version that was out at the time.

I have plenty of overall space and individual elements are no where near maxed out, such as the cameral roll, iPod, etc. Before, on the 3GS the lag occurred anywhere there were long lists or thumbnails to display, such as scrolling through email or the photo app. Some downloaded apps were worse than others such as an app for TV listings.

I also noticed a little lag introduced into the iPad with OS4. In either device, obviously, more robust software and firmware need more system resources to run smoothly, but I don't think we're near the point yet with iPhone 4 with the current OS and most apps. The updated processor and memory still, IMO, have plenty of room left to grow. But, I don't know how much available storage space plays into the equation.

The rule of thumb, at least on PC's is to have at least 10% free space on the system drive, but in my experience this seems to be a low number, I think PC's need much more space because of the swap file and just because the drives are much larger in capacity than they used to be.

Common sense is simply the more the better, but for troubleshooting and just plain curiosity, I would like to know where the bottlenecks occur and how much storage space affects performance. Is there something akin to a "swap" file in iOS? Are there restrictions or limits as to how much RAM and storage apps are allowed to access and use? And if so, how much would multitasking the way that it's implemented affect it all?

And finally inclosing, we can always fall back on the conspiracy theory - that prior to the launch of iPhone 5, iOS 5 will release, lagging the heck out of all our phones and sending us to the Apple store on launch day! : )

15. kre62 macrumors 68000

Whats the blanked out folder? Sext messages?

16. sportster, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011

sportster macrumors 6502

My guess= Happy pics of the mrs? Maybe?

17. james92se macrumors 6502a

How do you create those folders?

I guess you probably have to do them in iTunes? If so that's annoying

18. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Yes. I've been surprised more than once about such things, but not always annoyed. Desktop icons and folders are more easily arranged in iTunes. But we still can't create email sub-folders on the phones, or even collapse or expand the tree. Also annoying.

Photo and email management are in my top 5 annoying missing features. If they can do it for the iPod app...

19. james92se macrumors 6502a

I just really hate iTunes. It's such a hassle and takes forevvvvver to load on my PC.

I guess I'll have to look up how to create folders in it though, cuz I've always wanted to arrange my photos into folders. Not sure why in the world Apple won't let us do this ON the phone.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my sync default to my current phone setup rather than always adding on old crap to my phone that I've deleted.

20. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

An occasional restart of the phone can fix some of the lag. That, and clearing out all of your apps in the multitask menu.

I have an activity monitor app on my phone and have become a bit anal about memory usage, noticing that whenever my phone starts becoming sluggish, the phone usually dips below 100MB of available memory.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C134 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have a 32 GB phone, mostly music but about 400 pics. I have about 100 MB left. My phone is very laggy when I try to use my camera and my Maps app. When I try to do a search in Maps, the keyboard freezes up after I type 1-2 letters. This has made Maps unusable for me. I've been using Tom Tom instead.

22. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Dude, I tried maxing out storage on my iPod 3G and also an old 3GS - it rendered them both pretty useless. Now, I haven't tried this on my i4 or iPad but unload at least a gig from yours and things will improve

Edit: unsure now if you mean flash memory or RAM but ok, my tip might help someone else out =)

23. ozred macrumors 6502

Mines only half full & it's so bad. But no worries I just use my Droid X.

24. snakelda macrumors 6502

25. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Mine lags occasionally, but I typically just do a hard reset and that generally helps (at least for me).