Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samberino

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2004
'Show Reply' button

Interesting… the 'Show Reply' button appears to work fine for mail in my MobileMe account, but no such luck with Gmail IMAP; clicking the button doesn't do/display anything.

Anyone else experiencing the same, whom can confirm this behavior?

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Three missing functions and one BIG positive

1. No custom headers
2. No message read request option
3. No resend option

but the search options are vastly superior to Mail.app

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Can someone tell me what's the build of the official Office 2011 / Outlook 2011 release? Is it still 100825?

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
One thing I also dislike about Outlook is that when you send an e-mail and check for it in the "Sent" folder, it will show my own name and the e-mail subject, and NOT the recipient's name.

Is there a way to fix this?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
One thing I also dislike about Outlook is that when you send an e-mail and check for it in the "Sent" folder, it will show my own name and the e-mail subject, and NOT the recipient's name.

Is there a way to fix this?

Right click on the headings in the Sent folder view and choose the To: column to show. You can also drag and rearrange the columns.

-Kevin

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Right click on the headings in the Sent folder view and choose the To: column to show. You can also drag and rearrange the columns.

-Kevin

Hmm, so I guess it's not possible to make the column display the recipient's name in the headers like it did in Entourage.... looks like it's only possible to group the e-mails so that all the ones sent to a certain recipient will be grouped together....

EDIT: the weird thing is if I select "Sent Mail (Server)" in Accounts > Advanced > Folders > Sent, then it WILL display the recipient's name in my sent e-mails, which is what I want! It's just that I don't really want to have each and every sent e-mail uploaded to the server as well because it can be really annoying esp. when sending e-mails with attachments........

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Hmm, so I guess it's not possible to make the column display the recipient's name in the headers like it did in Entourage.... looks like it's only possible to group the e-mails so that all the ones sent to a certain recipient will be grouped together....

EDIT: the weird thing is if I select "Sent Mail (Server)" in Accounts > Advanced > Folders > Sent, then it WILL display the recipient's name in my sent e-mails, which is what I want! It's just that I don't really want to have each and every sent e-mail uploaded to the server as well because it can be really annoying esp. when sending e-mails with attachments........

Guess I'm not understand what you are missing. Here's a pic of my headers in my sent folder. You can see the To column which shows who I sent the email to. I get this both on the local Sent folder, and my Server sent folder.

-Kevin

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-31 at 5.23.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-31 at 5.23.12 PM.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 137

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Guess I'm not understand what you are missing. Here's a pic of my headers in my sent folder. You can see the To column which shows who I sent the email to. I get this both on the local Sent folder, and my Server sent folder.

-Kevin

Try it with the Reading Pane (Right)..... it won't display the recipient's name for me.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Try it with the Reading Pane (Right)..... it won't display the recipient's name for me.

Ok, I see where the preview on right causes you to lose those options.

However, when I put the preview on the right, and go to my sent folder, I have it sorted by Date Sent, Newest on Top.....each entry in the list is Who I sent it to, and below it the subject.

In my Inbox it's Subject on top, who sent it to me on the bottom.

-Kevin

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Ok, I see where the preview on right causes you to lose those options.

However, when I put the preview on the right, and go to my sent folder, I have it sorted by Date Sent, Newest on Top.....each entry in the list is Who I sent it to, and below it the subject.

In my Inbox it's Subject on top, who sent it to me on the bottom.

-Kevin

Yes, my Sent folder is as well sorted by Date Sent and Newest on Top, but all of the sent e-mails have my name on the top and the subject below it. In fact, my entire mail works in this way (sender's name on top, subject below). I'm guessing the only way to have the recipient on top and the subject below it, while retaining the reading pane on the right, would be by enabling the "Server" option, which I do not want.

Just out of curiosity: how do you make it display subject on top?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Yes, my Sent folder is as well sorted by Date Sent and Newest on Top, but all of the sent e-mails have my name on the top and the subject below it. In fact, my entire mail works in this way (sender's name on top, subject below). I'm guessing the only way to have the recipient on top and the subject below it, while retaining the reading pane on the right, would be by enabling the "Server" option, which I do not want.

Just out of curiosity: how do you make it display subject on top?

Even with messages in the local Sent folder, I see the recipients as well. No idea about the subject on top.....it's just that way....I didn't do anything to change it.

-Kevin

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Outlook is not happening... I have not enjoyed 2011

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Even with messages in the local Sent folder, I see the recipients as well. No idea about the subject on top.....it's just that way....I didn't do anything to change it.

-Kevin

You will see the recipients' name in the "Sent" folder while using the reading pane (right) option?? With Gmail IMAP and Accounts > Advanced > Folders > Sent "Sent Items (On My Computer)" enabled??

rikta

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
PROPER HOTMAIL/LIVE/MSN SUPPORT!!!

How a company can change it's email protocol to a proprietry format, only to not support it in it's own Email client is beyond me...

I use Hotmail/Live as my main email. Outlook on PC has a communicator plugin that allows it to use the Deltasync protocol. POP isn't sufficient for what I need, now I'm going to have to change EVERYTHING to Gmail.

:mad:

bhaffar

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
I agree with Rikta. Microsoft, THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!

PROPER HOTMAIL/LIVE/MSN SUPPORT!!!

How a company can change it's email protocol to a proprietry format, only to not support it in it's own Email client is beyond me...

I use Hotmail/Live as my main email. Outlook on PC has a communicator plugin that allows it to use the Deltasync protocol. POP isn't sufficient for what I need, now I'm going to have to change EVERYTHING to Gmail.

:mad:

shaw

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
delete message behaviour

hi all,

i usually use mail, and am now just trying outlook. one thing i like is that on delete, you move up to the next new message (assuming your messages are in descending order). this is because i usually read from the oldest new message perhaps a few messages down from the top.

this issue has been raised here:
http://officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Outlook/142

however it does not seem like there is a solution. does anyone have an answer to this?

cheers,
shawn

rikta

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2010
microsoft don't seem too helpful on that site.

i've asked some fairly detailed questions on there and received answers like "not at this time" and "not on a mac".

seriously, the people answering those questions work in the MacBU, you would think that they would properly answer the questions

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
microsoft don't seem too helpful on that site.

i've asked some fairly detailed questions on there and received answers like "not at this time" and "not on a mac".

seriously, the people answering those questions work in the MacBU, you would think that they would properly answer the questions

On which site?

If you are talking about the FACEBOOK site then it is not because of unhelpful people, it's because those answering the questions are in the dark as much as anyone else. The guys answering the questions and helping people there do not work for Microsoft... Trust me I know ;)

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Is it possible to have the reading pane in INBOX on the right, but in the "Sent" folder to have it below?

Because as it is right now, if I change the view in one folder it will affect the entire account.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I guess Sync Services is coming in the next update [14.1, or 14.01?]. I'd like to be able to sync Calendars and email on Exchange 2003.

Otherwise, Outlook 2011 is useless. It's okay, but still not great IMHO.

I still think the Mail and iCal apps are much better/cleaner overall. If my company goes to 2010, I'd rather use Mail/iCal...

viceroy

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2008
Limited search

I second the one about not having an OR functionality while searching for messages, making Smart folders etc. This is almost a deal breaker for me. Now I don't see any way to find all messages sent from someone OR to that person. This was easy with Entourage 2008 and is lost in Outlook 2011. Why?

I submitted a request to their website but am not holding my breath.

cbrink

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
The biggest turn-down for many is the lack of support for MS Exchange Server. Outlook 2011 only supports Exchange server 2007. Looks like they climbed into bed with MS to make money. They are now worse than MS.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Is it possible to have the reading pane in INBOX on the right, but in the "Sent" folder to have it below?

Because as it is right now, if I change the view in one folder it will affect the entire account.

Anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.