Outlook 2011

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by graham1971, Sep 21, 2010.

1. graham1971 macrumors member

I just upgraded Office to 2011 (not the beta).

How do I resend and redirect emails? The option are no longer there.

If I enable sync services it says it will merge my calendars and address book. I want to overwrite my Outlook data with ical and address book data but the option doesn't seem to be there. How do I ensure that I don't end up with duplicates?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Office 2011 has not yet been released by Microsoft. Expected release date: Oct. 26th.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

It's now available for enterprise customers, direct from Microsoft.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Thanks. I guess I'm not an enterprise customer! (although I don't plan to get 2011, anyway) :D

5. graham1971 thread starter macrumors member

I synched contacts and it asked what to do with duplicates, so that bit is solved.

It looks like calendar - ical sync is no longer possible.

I haven't figured out how to resend and redirect emails yet. It may not be possible.

6. mark.roemers macrumors newbie

Open a .pst file???

Hi All,

I looked in the Help function of Outlook 2011 and the only thing I can find about a .pst file is how to import it.
    I only want to open one for reference purposes. I have about 3 - 4 GB of mails per year stored in .pst files. Since 2006, that is and I do not want my Exchange server to hold all of these emails.
    I just want to access them every now and then. (Legal ****....)
    So what's up with Outlook 2011??

Regards Mark

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I don't have access to Office 2011 but I can answer that from what I have seen from the promotional videos @ Microsoft and some history with Entourage. Each PST file is technically 1 big file with multiple emails. When Time Machine detects a change to a file, it will back it up. The solution was to do what Apple does and keep each message separate so a single email doesn't force Time Machine to backup every email all over again.

Perhaps Microsoft didn't think that people would use PST files for reference purposes and decided to have Outlook 2011 use it's own file format that would be more efficient with Apple's Time Machine.

I think the worst thing about Office 2011 is that it doesn't integrate with iCal, Todos, and the Address book. I like the fact that I can change a contact on my iPhone and it magically appears on all my Macs using Mobile Me. I can't do that with Office 2011 from what has been shown.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can only import it.

9. jon08 macrumors 65816

I have a question about the "Security" pane in Outlook. Is it ok if I select the option "In all messages" for downloading pics automatically from the internet?

I find it a bit annoying to be having to download manually any small graphics/pics that are part of the e-mails I receive. There's another option, "In messages from my contacts", but I find this inadequate because I still receive other mails than that so it becomes a bit tedious having to download it manually.

Is it dangerous to have the "In all messages" option enabled tho? Could it harm my computer when receiving those junk/spam e-mails, or is it as long as I don't clink on any links/pics that it downloads, that I'll be fine?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is part of Microsoft's philosophy that security should onerous so that users will look for ways to circumvent it.

Just about every other mail client, including Mail, automatically downloads linked images. The exceptions are messages that are identified as junk mail. None of those clients seem to have harmed my Mac or any other Mac so far.

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Calendar settings

Since we're discussing Outlook 2011 here....anyone know if there's a way to change when your workday starts or ends in Calendar to be on a half hour boundary - e.g. workday starts at 6:30? All I see in the dropdown box are whole hour times....kinda crazy omission if you ask me.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

A workaround would be to have it start at 6:00 since it doesn't have to be exactly when you start and don't schedule anything between 6:00 and 6:30.

13. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you tried to doubleclick on the :00 and change it to :30 in preferences for workday as usual?

14. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

They are dropdown lists...there's no clicking on the :00 (or the 00: for that matter) like in the Windows version

15. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

That's like saying since my alarm clock won't go off at 6:30, just set it for 6 and forget about that extra sleep. It seems ridiculously easy to have just put the extra values in the dropdown box.

16. mergz macrumors newbie

Exchange Server

I have been running Office for Mac 2008 and syncing contacts, e-mail and calendar between Entourage and (i) my iPhone, (ii) Outlook (Windows version) on my computer at work, and (iii) all of my Macs using our Exchange 2003 server software at work.

I have been looking forward to getting Office for Mac 2011, but the review in PC Mag says that you need to have Exchange 2007 (or later) software in order to sync contacts, e-mail and calendar for the new Outlook that is included in that software. It won't sync under the Exchange 2003 software. Does anyone know if this is correct? I am told by our office IT guy that it would cost almost $2,000 to upgrade the server software (software plus installation) and that is not in the cards.

I appreciate your help.

17. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Yes, PC Magazine's review is correct. Outlook:Mac supports Exchange 2007 or later. If you're on Exchange 2003, you'll either need to get IMAP enabled on your Exchange server, or continue using Entourage.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

18. JasonBourne1 macrumors regular

Noob question, but how can you find out what version of Exchange you have?
    Btw - I've got Outlook 2011, can't get it to work, so still using Entourage.

19. nadyne macrumors 6502a

No, there isn't. Most people view their workday as starting on the hour instead of the half-hour.

The absolute best way is to ask your system administrator.

If you're still using Entourage 2008, one not-perfect way is to open up the Out of Office tool. If it looks like [a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/b/macmojo/archive/2007/09/05/office-2008-enterprise-series-oof-coming-to-entourage.aspx"]the screenshot in this blog post[/url], then you're likely using Exchange 2007 or later. If it has a lot fewer options, then you're probably using Exchange 2003.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

20. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

What of all those millions of people that work shifts say like I do. My work day is 6:30 - 15:06, 15:06 - 23:42 and there are many other time shift variants used around the world. If what you Nadyne are saying is true then Microsoft really have done a big mistake here.

What was it about the mac and windows version lining up? Outlook on the windows side have this feature. Come on own up that this is a BUG. A time planner without an editable workday is a joke.

If I can't set my standard work hours how can we set appointments, meetings and online collaborations? Meetings will be scheduled outside my available hours. I will get meeting requests scheduled through exchange on times when the time should be not available.

Is that ok to not care about? Really?! Well this user experience can be added to your research and hopefully Outlook 2011 in some months can be a valid alternative for the windows client. Harsh words I'm sorry but when you live your day through Outlook you react to statements like yours.

21. sup3r1or macrumors regular

For resend you should use function called FORWARD, for redirect you have to put that in the settings.

22. priest19 macrumors newbie

priest19

I have had Office 2011, the final release version for a little over a week. I like all of the programs but have one problem that I have not been able to solve yet with Outlook. The place that I work is on Exchange 2007 but I keep getting an error in my e-mail. The error code is 19 and the only way to fix it is to right click the folder and select the Folder Properties and Empty Cache. This is getting really annoying to me. The Mail program works just fine though, am I missing something in Outlook. Thanks!

23. codymac macrumors 6502

Here's a fun one - besides the fact that Outlook 2011 has been crashing on me with alarming regularity for the past three days.

Try rescheduling an appointment on your calendar. I can't find a way to do it and simply changing the time and updating it doesn't seem to send an update to the invitee list (according to what my coworkers are telling me).

I'm not 100% certain that the trouble isn't entirely between my seat and keyboard but it certainly isn't as intuitive as I'd expect based on years using the previous versions.

Hmmm....

24. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

THAT is the biggest cop-out answer I've heard yet. How many people are "most" that were surveyed? I thought Office 2011 was supposed to bring the Mac version up to parity with the Windows version....not even close.