Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Thinking that it's just not visible somewhere on my screens...I run three external panels along with my rMBP display and was working away from them when this started...plugged all back in and Outlook starts but then the actual program isn't anywhere to be found. Suggestions?

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Thinking that it's just not visible somewhere on my screens...I run three external panels along with my rMBP display and was working away from them when this started...plugged all back in and Outlook starts but then the actual program isn't anywhere to be found. Suggestions?

I've noticed the same behavior with Skype. But when I tried to reinstall Skype, it claimed the app was damaged and refused to even launch it.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
same here...cant see the app. I can create a new email, but can't view my inbox

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
same here...cant see the app. I can create a new email, but can't view my inbox

Most signs would point to a rebuild but I don't think that's going to solve the problem. Giving it a shot anyway. I have had this issue with PPT in the past where it minimizes a window off screen somewhere and clicking window---zoom would bring it back. Window--zoom is not an option in the outlook menu bar across the top.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I rebuilt but what do you mean about deleting data?

FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK- If on an exchange server or Office365, your data resides elsewhere and is duplicated on your computer:

Close Outlook
Go to documents/microsoft user data/
delete the folder Microsoft 2011 Identities

restart Outlook

then go to preferences and add your accounts back.

then wait for the file to rebuild...depending on how big it is, it might take several days...but Outlook should now run.

Last edited:

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
Close Outlook
Go to documents/microsoft user data/
delete the folder Microsoft 2011 Identities

restart Outlook

then go to preferences and add your accounts back.

then wait for the file to rebuild...depending on how big it is, it might take several days...but Outlook should now run.

Does that not delete all of my mail data stored on my computer?

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
YES.
Sorry, this is assuming you are on an exchange server, or Office365.

what type of email account do you have?

I have 3 exchange accts and a gmail acct. For some reason, I've always moved older files off of the server and to my computer under "on my computer". Maybe this is reverse from what it should be but won't 10's if thousands if emails on the server under my inbox bog it down?

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I have 3 exchange accts and a gmail acct. For some reason, I've always moved older files off of the server and to my computer under "on my computer". Maybe this is reverse from what it should be but won't 10's if thousands if emails on the server under my inbox bog it down?

The exchange accounts are no big deal, it will rebuild them as all the data resides on your exchange server. Yes, it could take days to rebuild, but at least you get Outlook working again. Mine usually takes about 3 days to rebuild everything.

Not sure how gmail account works, I don't use Outlook for my gmail accounts.

EDIT: oops, yea I just read your post again...yes you will lose the "on my computer" mail.

This is exactly why I keep all mine inside Exchange server. It will depend on how you are set up...but I have 10's of thousands of emails in my file which is over 40gb's and no issues. Some will tell you this is crazy, but it works for me.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007

try just renaming the data folder. Outlook should work now.

creativedogmedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 26, 2011
try just renaming the data folder. Outlook should work now.

Yikes. I ended up reverting back to Mavericks. Problem is the most recent backup was from March. I am having to reinstall office now as it wouldn't let me "activate" outlook (or word, ppt, excel). Not having outlook was the biggest issue with keeping Yosemite. If I can get it to work and maybe move all mail to exchange server I may go back.

fumanchu

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
Hm, the workaround doesn't work for me.

If I erase: ~/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2011 Identities

I still can't get a main window to appear in Outlook. If I bring up Preferences I still see my Exchange account there.

I tried also deleting: ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/Preferences/Office 2011/Outlook Preferences

..but I get the same result.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this result or can spot anything I'm doing wrong before I go digging and deleting more stuff.

Also, we might want to report in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19204150#post19204150

Thanks

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Deleted my profile then re-added it, seemed to fix it for a while, but now its happening again.

Anyone have a permanent fix for this?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Been working just fine since DP1. However, outlook takes forever to open [ ~ 15 secs ] even under DP3 .. Had to rebuild once, but been okay since.

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Been working just fine since DP1. However, outlook takes forever to open [ ~ 15 secs ] even under DP3 .. Had to rebuild once, but been okay since.

You running exchange mailbox? or local?

I might create a new user account and see if that fixes it.

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Runs fine under a new user account.

Hmmm.

Even tried deleting everything microsoft related in the user library account. Setup a new mailbox, outlook preferences etc.. same problem.

Looks like the fix is to migrate to a new user account. Probably about time given i've been using this profile since 10.6. :)

ShredderAK

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
I was able to get Outlook's Main Identity file to work finally. Used digitalfx suggestion. Copied Main Identity to another folder. Deleted. Rebooted. Started Outlook which created a new Main Identity. Closed app. Deleted new identity. Emptied trash. Add old Identity back into folder. Rebooted. Started up Outlook again and it recognized it. Whew. Thx digitalfx!

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
I was able to get Outlook's Main Identity file to work finally. Used digitalfx suggestion. Copied Main Identity to another folder. Deleted. Rebooted. Started Outlook which created a new Main Identity. Closed app. Deleted new identity. Emptied trash. Add old Identity back into folder. Rebooted. Started up Outlook again and it recognized it. Whew. Thx digitalfx!
Won't work for me. :( Outlook won't create a new identity. When I've had a look around, I'm going to downgrade to Mavericks (again) as I did when the Y-B3 had this same problem.

ShredderAK

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
unstable

Well, that was the process for me, but when I quit and tried to reopen it didn't open main window. So went through process again and it's up and running. So, will try and see if i don't have to reboot my mac. :eek:

hsotnicam8002

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2008
United Kingdom
Well, that was the process for me, but when I quit and tried to reopen it didn't open main window. So went through process again and it's up and running. So, will try and see if i don't have to reboot my mac. :eek:
Managed to open the main window with a new identity after force quitting the Microsoft database demon via Activity monitor and then following your procedure. But when I repeated this adding back my identity from Time Machine, Outlook failed to open the main window.:mad:

Well past bedtime here now, so I'll leave my Mac downgrading to Mavericks from Time Machine while I sleep! :(

Huwpne

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2014
Outlook

Have tried all of the above and nothing has worked, any help would be great

ShredderAK

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Forgot the other thing I did with delete or change the plist name: com.microsoft.Outlook.plist from HD/Users/user/Library/Preferences

Managed to open the main window with a new identity after force quitting the Microsoft database demon via Activity monitor and then following your procedure. But when I repeated this adding back my identity from Time Machine, Outlook failed to open the main window.:mad:

Well past bedtime here now, so I'll leave my Mac downgrading to Mavericks from Time Machine while I sleep! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.