Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
A possible resolution from Apple's dev. forums:

Apply Patch 14.4.4 from Microsoft AutoUpdate, then perform the following
1. Quit Outlook and PowerPoint
2. Head into ~/Library/Preferences (shift-cmd-G from the desktop)
3. Delete com.microsoft.outlook* and com.microsoft.PowerPoint*
4. Reboot
5. Start Outlook/PowerPoint
Outlook/PowerPoint should start up now, and ask to add a new account, but you can cancel this.

lordsargon

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2014
The solution which involves deleting the various preference plist files did not working for any of the 50+ people in my office. The only one which did work was tzubak's solution, the one I referenced from a Microsoft forum.

YMMV.

opq

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2004
For me 14.4.5 still renders the list of folders oon the left in weird way - "Inbox" and "Sent Items" are in black but everything else is barely readable in grey.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
excuse my ignorance but what does that mean?

After I set up Outlook, it kept asking for the password for each account, even though I entered it correctly each time. I also checked to make sure the passwords were saved properly in keychain. No matter what I had been doing, the popup would continue. I went back into keychain and did a repair. And for whatever reason, every email keychain had a problem. Once the repair was done, I haven't had the annoying password popup.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
After I set up Outlook, it kept asking for the password for each account, even though I entered it correctly each time. I also checked to make sure the passwords were saved properly in keychain. No matter what I had been doing, the popup would continue. I went back into keychain and did a repair. And for whatever reason, every email keychain had a problem. Once the repair was done, I haven't had the annoying password popup.

got it, thank you!

eekelar

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014

@BasicGreatGuy
Please could you say how you did the keychain repair - I'm having the same problem after installing 10.10 and updating MS Office for Mac to 14.4.5
I can't get any email, only the pop-up about the password.
Thank you :)

eekelar

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2014
@BasicGreatGuy
Please could you say how you did the keychain repair - I'm having the same problem after installing 10.10 and updating MS Office for Mac to 14.4.5
I can't get any email, only the pop-up about the password.
Thank you :)

@BasicGreatGuy - problem solved! Thanks anyway for your post :)

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
My Outlook 15.8 wouldn't show the main window today, and the solution was to select View/Go To/Email (or CMD+1) from the menu. Then Outlook crashed and when I reopened it the main window was visible again.

rogerdpack

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2008
thanks!

OK with Outlook 2011 14.5.0 150423 and Yosemite 10.10.3 I believe I had similar behavior (open up all the exchange "expand tree" folders, close exchange, main window refuses to return *ever*).

Tzubak's solution worked for me (thanks!)
The one note I'd add is that for me, if I switch to the new identity and open outlook, if I play around the folders a little before exiting and switching back to my main identity (for instance, expand "smart folders" then close it) then that seems to help even more consistently, FWIW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.