Output Results from AppleScript

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by gpchess2k, Nov 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gpchess2k, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016

gpchess2k macrumors newbie

gpchess2k

Hello,

I am trying to output the results from my script for transparency reasons so the end user sees what has run successfully. I know im suppressing errors in my script but could I still output and if so could I output the commands that did go through without error? Below is a small portion of the script but I do want to add a 'Results' button to click on to open maybe a text file.

Code:
    do shell script "security delete-certificate -c -t XXXXXXXXX.com > /dev/null 2>&1 &" with administrator privileges
    do shell script "security delete-certificate -c -t xxxxxxxxx.com > /dev/null 2>&1 &" with administrator privileges
    do shell script "while security delete-generic-password  -l Wired 802.1X >/dev/null
    do true; done" with administrator privileges
    do shell script "rm -rf ~/.Trash/*" with administrator privileges #Empties Trash Bin

tell application "Finder"
        display dialog "Script has completed successfully!" buttons {"Restart", "Results", "Cancel"} default button "Cancel" with icon caution
        if button returned of result is "Restart" then
            tell application "Finder"
                restart
            end tell
        end if
    end tell

2. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

Slightly confused about what you're asking. Maybe you could try rephrasing your question, or making it more specific? e.g. "How do I write to a text file?". I expect that's why no-one's got back to you yet.

3. gpchess2k thread starter macrumors newbie

gpchess2k

Sure. How to output the results of the commands (do shell scripts) listed above in a text file.

4. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

OK.

I don't fully understand the shell commands you're using. However, you're sending their output into /dev/null which is a big black hole from whence there is no return. If you redirect that output to a file instead then (if I understand correctly) you may be closer to your goal.

For example:

Code:
    do shell script "date > ~/Desktop/log.txt"
    That should send the output of the "date" command into a file called "log.txt" on the desktop of the currently logged in user.

Hope that's of some help!

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You do not it is useless for it a notification for it having run can be provided with an button to dismiss the notification on it. When I ran into this brick wall couple of days ago I went with the idea of the script re-directing its output to a .txt file then a open file.txt command at the end to open the resulting file created with the default app for text to get my output shown. Now that was Automator but I am pretty sure I seen nothing in them many, many hours of Googling to suggest Applescript could have accomplished what I wanted.

6. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Not quite sure what you're saying there.

It's definitely possible to capture the results of a "do shell script" in AppleScript. Or you can redirect output to a text file if you prefer. I'm not sure what you're saying can't be done in AppleScript?

7. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I am saying you cannot get a dialog popping up to display the results of the process run, no trouble re-directing to a text file then opening the resulting text file with that output contained in it at the end of the script.

8. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

I get the feeling we're talking at crossed purposes here. Do you mean something like this?

Code:
    set theResultOfTheScript to do shell script "ls -l ~ | head -n 5"
    display alert "Here are the results of the script" message theResultOfTheScript

9. MacUser2525, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Indeed we are all that damn time searching for a working example of it and here it is, Christ. Thanks.

Edit: Display width of the dialog any way to set that?

10. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Hi,

With "display dialog" you don't have much control over the layout etc.

If you want more control of the layout then you're looking at delving into Cocoa, which has a much steeper learning curve.

11. MacUser2525, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016

MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Yes I have learned that from this last bit of wasted time since I posted looking into it. Looks like Pashua or Platypus may be a possibility for what I need. Of course none of this would be necessary if the MediaInfo.app service it installed actually worked...

Edit: Platypus for the win once I took the ten, fifth-teen minutes to figure it out.