Over 225,000 Apple Accounts Compromised Via iOS Malware on Jailbroken Devices

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by OldSchoolMacGuy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Researchers from Palo Alto Networks and WeipTech have unearthed a scheme that resulted in the largest known Apple account theft caused by malware. All in all, some 225,000 valid Apple accounts have been compromised. The theft is executed via variants of the KeyRaider iOS malware, which targets jailbroken iOS devices. Most of the victims are Chinese — the malware is distributed through third-party Cydia repositories in China — but users in other countries have also been affected (European countries, the U.S., Australia, South Korea, and so on).

"The malware hooks system processes through MobileSubstrate, and steals Apple account usernames, passwords and device GUID by intercepting iTunes traffic on the device," Palo Alto researcher Claud Xiao explained. "KeyRaider steals Apple push notification service certificates and private keys, steals and shares App Store purchasing information, and disables local and remote unlocking functionalities on iPhones and iPads."

http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=3089

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The key point here (IMO)…

So, in other words if you got those tweaks in order to avoid legitimately paying for apps from the app store (i.e, pirating) you've been compromised.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Uhm yeah. So Apple now knows exactly who's been stealing from them.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

If you compromise a devices security anything can happen.

http://arstechnica.com/security/201...rstechnica/index+(Ars+Technica+-+All+content)

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

6. Totally macrumors 6502a

Totally

Nice. I guess this is what happens when you try and game the system. It's sad that so many jailbreakers jailbreak to try to do this. I feel like 225,000 is more than a negligible fraction of the jailbreak community.

7. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

8. Arran, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

No.

You might be compromised already by some other tweak or hack. You just don't know it. Yet.

Edit: Is it just me, or is something in this new forum software not saving edits/updates?

9. OldSchoolMacGuy thread starter macrumors 68030

OldSchoolMacGuy

Exactly. How do you know any of the stuff you've installed on a jailbroken device isn't compromised? You don't. There's little safeguard keeping you from installing anything malicious without your knowledge.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You have to wait a little bit between edits for the cache to catch up.

I've had that experience and waiting a little was the solution.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

While there is never a guarantee, there is a difference between staying as safe as you can (default/well known repos, tweaks and apps) and willy nilly going out and installing something like this.

I mean really! Is ANYONE actually surprised by this? If you are, then I doubt the sincerity you take to the security of your jailbreak.

12. white4s Suspended

not all jailbreakers do it to get **** for free stop generalizing

i do it to customize my phone the way i want. it's no secret that a factory iphone is boring as all hell

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You misunderstand me.

I am not anti-jailbreaking. This post is in the JB forum. I've jailbroken every phone I've had since I got a 3GS in late 2011. My iPhone 5 was jailbroken on iOS 6 and 7 and is currently jailbroken on iOS 8.3.

My iPhone 6+ was jailbroken on 8.1.2 in the first hour I owned it. As I type this I am loading Cydia.

It seemed to me that the original post was anti-jailbreak in that the title of the article seems to imply that the actual act of jailbreaking was what compromised these people and not their illicit activities.

I pay for my tweaks and apps and my apps in the app store. Which is why I've noted here that those who've been compromised were using tweaks that let them get all that for free.

My argument isn't anti-jailbreak, my argument is anti-stupid.

14. Will22 macrumors 65816

Will22

If I'm not mistaken eyoungren is jailbroken so I think you may have taken what he said the wrong way. I think what he means is that if you jailbreak and stick to the well known tweaks you should be okay but if your getting repos from here there and anywhere you're asking for trouble.

Edit, shouldn't have stopped typing to get that coffee.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

That's exactly what I mean.

I jailbreak because I want to theme my phone the way I want, not to rip off devs and the app store.

16. white4s Suspended

i forget that's possible since i only think of customization when i hear the word jailbreak

17. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

paid hack or not...you all have been compromised.

18. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

Tell us more.

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Is that remark intended to make us afraid, intimidated, remorseful, scared or otherwise running to DFU restore our iPhones?

Because if it is…well you've posted in the jailbreak forums. And I have no intention of unjailbreaking just because of your comment. If you're right then I will continued to be compromised and jailbroken if I want to and nothing further you have to say is going to change that.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Can't quite figure you out. Are you saying the other user is a troll, or are you saying YOU are trolling this thread based on the fact that you stopped jailbreaking years ago.

I'm thinking the latter based on what you said in a jailbreak forum.

21. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I am not gonna stop you or nor care. I'm just stating that you all have been compromised. What's so bad about that?

22. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

I'm sure you read the topic, yes?

23. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

If you did, you would not say such ignorant things.

24. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

not intended as ignorant. Thank you very much. EDIT: Also, if you disagree, you could NOT respond. Just saying.