Overall Impressions of Office 2008.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bestthereis27, Feb 4, 2008.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hi everyone

I would just like to know what your impressions are of Office 2008. Is it better than 2004? Should i go with iWorks 08? Or maybe I should run Office 2007 in my Windows XP virtual machine.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. sethro macrumors newbie

Well if you must have Office then I would run Office 2007 on your virtual PC, you don't have to worry about compatibility or overly slow and bloated Mac software.

3. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

From what I've heard, Office 2008 is generally faster than the old version, mainly due to the fact that it's now a Native intel app (or universal, whatever).

My company is all about XML so a lot of my coworkers have been upgrading to it to test out its capabilities. Everyone was hoping for a very snappy, good OS X app. While they ALL say it is much better than the old version, very few are ecstatic about it. I was hoping for better reviews. I'm going to run Office 2007 virtualized (when needed only), rather than upgrade.

NeoOffice works for my day to day stuff, and it looks like OpenOffice will be native soon!

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Slow as molasses on my iBook G4 (1.2GHz and 1.25GB RAM) whereas Office:mac 2004 and iWork '08 run fine.

Pages is ridiculously fast compared to Word 2008. Last night I put a picture into a blank document, rotated it off axis a bit and put a reflection on it, then scrolled down and waited, and waited, and waited and eventually the document scrolled down. It was just a picture from the net so not huge.

Same thing with the same picture in Pages and it was 100% responsive.

Office:2008 seems fine on Intel machines but so much slower than both it's predecessor and it's competitor on PPC Macs.

5. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I'll try and find the links, but there are two speed comparisons floating around. One shows all of Office 2008 being slower than 2004, one is specific to Excel.

I have it. It's ok. I'm on a 1.5GHz G4 and have felt the performance drop quite heavily, especially when first opening the application and when opening the 'ribbon' thing. Also the new xml format takes an inordinate amount of space compared to the old one.

AppleMatt

6. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

I got it when it first came out because i really liked the 07 office version for windows, figuring it would be something like that. Not really. But its decent. Better than the last version of office i guess.

7. caeneal macrumors member

For reasons that have nothing to do with speed, file format or anything "serious," I hate it.

When you create a new paragraph in Word, it now skips a line and a half. Why? Word has never done this before, but now it's making my documents look like a web-page? This is a rather serious problem for me because I teach college freshmen, and I require papers by the "page-length." I've had to convert all of my assignments to word counts because Word screws with the page count by adding in all this wasted space.

And where's my right-click "Insert" menu? Who was that harming?

The mac version doesn't have this problem, but on the PC there's no default icon for "print." Not a big deal, you add it to your toolbar, but the only time I print from a PC is in a computer lab on campus. Can't add to the toolbar there. Thankfully, CTRL-P still works. But I saw a student the other day have to get up and ask for help because she couldn't figure out how to print. So I tell her, well, you click that big circular flashing thing on the top left. Now that makes sense...

I also hate it because I had all of these assignments written up explaining how to do things in Word that I now have to redo because the menu structures are so vastly different.

I don't mind new menu structures, as long as they are MORE intuitive. Sure, maybe MSWord made some dumb menu choices back in 1991, but here we are a quarter-century later and those dumb choices are what we call "standards." Why change them? Computers make things too easy sometimes. The Dewey decimal system is full of bad choices, too, but no one's moving that many books around. A few icons and menu choices, though? Sure, we'll go bury those back in some sub-menu you've never thought of before. And we'll change all the key-strokes, too. Just for fun.

And we'll remove macro's, after all, who uses those? Oh, you've had the same macro for 15 years? Tied to the same keystroke? Well, not anymore! Have fun!

Anyway, some might think these aren't legitimate complaints, but I've been using MSWord since it was on a blue screen with a blinking, square, white cursor and everything was keystroke this, F2-that, etc. This should be the most familiar and comfortable program out there, and instead it's frustrating and full of poor decisions. Seriously, why skip that extra line? Isn't that why we indent new paragraphs?

8. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

For the occasional usage that I've used it so far, it's not bad. I don't do anything overly powerful with Office and so far it's working fine. I've emailed a file and received files from some Windows Office users and so far so good.

Unless you have an absolute need for Office and swap Office files back and forth with Windows users I'd try iWork. It's a good alternative for Office in my opinion.

9. iBunny macrumors 65816

Alot of people who dont like Office 08 because they have less than current computers.

I run office 08 on a MBP 2.4GHz / 4GB Ram No sweat. Deffinatly Faster than Office 2004, or even Office 2007 virtualized thru Windows XP/VM Ware Fusion.

My Recomendation is if you already own Windows, and Office 2003 or 2007 for Windows, and run Virtualizing software such as parallels or VM Ware, you do not need to even think about Office 2008. However; if you do not already own Office for windows, I suggest buying Office 2008. Running it nativly in OSX is alone worth it.

Nothing can replace MS Office. Not NeoOffice, Not Open Office, Not iWork, Not anything. You know what Im talking about if you actually need office for work or school. Some programs I work with school Need Office, Need Specifcally Excel. Numbers is great, but not nearly as powerful as excel.

And if you do not need MS Exchange support, buy the Student Edition! Its the full version minue Exchange support! You will save alot of Money.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I like 08, it feels better thatn 07 aka things are where I expect them. Though really I'd rather go back to v.x (2000 basically) which was what Used to use but it doesn't understand .docx

11. acxz macrumors regular

Keystoke lag on larger documents ruins the whole experience for me, unfortunately. It shouldn't be happening at all on 2.0Ghz C2D and 2GB of RAM. I'm only keeping it so I can open .docx/.xlsx files.

12. naburleson macrumors newbie

I like the new office, it puts most of the frequently used buttons on the toolbar so there right there when you need them, and seems to be much quicker on my 2.4GHz MBP. Yea theres bugs, but hopefully they will be fixed in the coming weeks.

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I think this is an issue the the new default "style" that Word uses. There is a way to turn this off, and update your "normal.dot" template that Word uses for new documents. Can't remember the specifics since I am away from my Mac, but it is similar to chat you do to change the default font, etc.

Of course that won't help if you aren't working on your own machine, or if you have to instruct all of your students to make this change...

14. arnoota macrumors newbie

aross99, whenever you get the time, would love to find out how to change that formatting issue...thanks so much!

15. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Slow and unstable on my G5. I really hope the first update fixes some of these issues. I like the new format support, but I preferred 2004 for mac. This is the first Office version I remember where the Windows version is better.

16. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Here is what I did...

The issue is that you don't want to skip blank lines at the end of your paragraphs. You will find a check box in the "Format/Paragraph" menu titled "Don't add space between paragraphs of the same style".

Open a blank document and type some text, and then set this check box and make sure it is what you want.

Assuming it is, now the issue is how to make this the "default" (ie part of the "normal" style)?

In the formatting palette, open the style section and click on the arrow next to "Normal" (move your cursor to the word "Normal", and the arrow will show up on the right hand side).

From the pop-up menu, select "Modify Style".

From the Modify Style dialog box, click on the drop down on the bottom left, and select "Paragraph".

From the Paragraph dialog box, check the "Don't add space..." check box, and clock OK. You can make any other changes that you want to be part of the "Normal" Style now...

Back on the Modify style dialog box, check "Add to template", and click OK.

Close your blank document and don't save it.

That should be it! The next blank document you open should have your new "Revised" Normal style...

17. arnoota macrumors newbie

Thank you aross99, your help is much appreciated!!!

18. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

It won't let me have multiple Word documents open in multiple spaces. If I move one to a different space, the others all follow. And for some reason, I can't move excel to my secondary screen which is less of an issue for me personally, but still odd. In expose, neither word nor excel (haven't opened powerpoint or entourage) have labels when you mouse over them. This is less than useful with multiple Word documents open at the same time. Cmd + ` also doesn't work for changing between Word windows (haven't tried in the others).

At least there's no keystroke lag like there was in 04 and it does run faster, but that's not saying much, given how painfully slow 04 was.

19. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Office 08 is okay, but go with iWork. much better, much cheaper, just better. in my opinion at least

20. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm not convinced it is faster than 2004. Startup is much slower, and there is a BIG delay before you can start typing - after your document comes up.

Hopefully the first update will fix some of these issues...

21. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

The first update ran itself on friday for me. None of what I complained about went away.

I agree that startup time is quite slow, but I meant the that once open the actual program runs faster. I really was having keystroke lags in 04 (to the point where I could type a whole sentence before it started to appear), especially when in track changes. This no longer happens, so that's one improvement for me.

Edit: I just went and checked and it says nothing has been updated and that there are no new updates. But it ran earlier today and installed something! What the hell, Microsoft?

22. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I read somewhere that the first update was to the UPDATER... LOL

I didn't think the actual application update was out yet, but it is supposed to be out in March...

After Word launches for me, I still have a long delay where I can't type for a long time - sounds similar to your 2004 issue, except that once it catches up, you don't see the delay again.

Office 2008 feels very much like a beta release to me - like there is alot of optimization left to do. Considering how much faster our intel machines are when compared to our PPC machines, it amazes me that a universal Office 2008 could be this slow.

Lets hope it will improve...

23. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

faster and more stable than office '04 if you have a mactel (less lag when typing or moving graphs, etc). student edition (i bet it's the same for other editions as well) is vvvvv student-unfriendly and makes you scream WTF at 3 a.m., i.e. default font in word is now cambria (fix), hitting return will result in a 10-pt blank space (fix), no custom error bars in excel (don't think there's a solution).

my opinion - do not remove office '04. i'm glad i didn't.

24. lamadude macrumors 6502

Definitely faster than office 2004 on my first gen macbook, I also like the automatic bibliography functions since I'm writing my master thesis for the moment and I need to keep track of a lot of sources.

25. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Although Faster than Office:2004 i only use Word (Not very much) and Excel if i really have to. I'd stick with iWork '08 if they could get Pages better then i'd use iWork exclusively until that time i'm forced to use Word for school projects (Go to school part time) at work i use Pages exclusively but get both if you feel the need for 100% Compatibility with Windoze Crappers(Users).

My 2¢

Northy124

P.S may of gone abit off-topic not sure LoL