Overcast for iOS Updated With Smart Resume Feature and 24-Hour Auto-Delete Option

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 14, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Overcast for iOS reached version 4.1 today, adding a handful of noteworthy features to the popular third-party podcast player.

First up is Smart Resume, which aims to reduce the impact of playback interruptions. With the new feature enabled, podcast playback jumps back a few seconds after the podcast has been paused, to help remind the listener where they left off in the conversation.

[​IMG]

Smart Resume, which is on by default, also intelligently adjusts playback so that it resumes in the silences between spoken words wherever possible. Users can control the feature from Overcast's Nitpicky Details menu.

Also new in v4.1, Overcast can now be set to auto-delete podcasts 24 hours after playback is completed. Previously, episodes could be auto-deleted either immediately after listening or not at all, but now users can leave a day-long delay before their removal, and the threshold for deletion will be paused during extended offline periods such as long-haul flights.

Elsewhere, passwords for private podcast feeds can now be entered into the Add URL screen (rather than via HTTP Basic Auth) and a number of bug fixes have been implemented, which should result in less download fails and playback stalls, and no glitches when resuming playback after quitting in the background, amongst other improvements.

Lastly, iPhone rotation support has been removed from Overcast 4.1, due to the function's extremely low usage coupled with the burden of peculiarities that comes with coding in support for iPhone X displays.

Overcast 4.1 is available as a free ad-supported app for iPhone and iPad from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Overcast for iOS Updated With Smart Resume Feature and 24-Hour Auto-Delete Option

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Apple should just buy overcast, slap their logo on it and call it a day

3. Rivanov macrumors regular

I love Overcast. Such a great app. Smart Speed and Voice Boost are features I can't live without.
    Smart Speed saved me 55 hours in total!

4. sdevine89 macrumors newbie

sdevine89

I never knew that you could see the time saved, a whopping 64 hours for me!

5. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Overcast is great, I started using it when I bought the Apple Watch since I wanted to be able to select a podcast from the Watch.
    I didn't care about smart speed, all I was interested about was the Watch app. Then I started discovering the app and tried Smart speed... wow! It saves a lot of time and I like the fact I can have different settings for each podcast, so I can play some of them at a really high speed and keep others at the normal speed with just the silence removed.
    I couldn't go back to a podcast player without smart speed, everything would sound too slow.
    Voice boost is good too, but I tend to leave it off. I switch it on only if the train is particularly noisy, i.e. windows are open and there's a lot of noise coming from outside.

Kudos to Marco Arment for making the app.

6. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

My favorite Podcasts app! And I thought I noticed the smart resume when I was listening on my drive to work this morning, when Google Maps pauses spoken audio for traffic updates. It’s a great combo now.

If only Overcasts didn’t use such an incredible amount of storage space. I usually listen with a cellular connection present but occasionally I take the train and I’m not really sure how to just auto-download a few certain podcasts instead of every single one.

7. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I can believe it. How often do we rotate phone screens, except for video / games?

Also, note the iPhone X needlessly complicating things gets called out.

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Can someone explain to me how the hell can you organize the list of podcasts by last date downloaded? The only way I can seem to do that is to create a playlist with that parameter. Am I missing something or does Overcast not have that capability?

Because of of this one oddoty I just can’t like this app enough to use it. I either use Downcast or Pocket Casts both of which are better IMO.

9. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Had a question for Overcast users.
    Can I take an mp3 and send it to Overcast wirelessly and have it set up as a podcast?

10. Ted13 macrumors 6502a

Fantastic app: my two most commonly used third party apps are Overcast and TweetBot. And on the iPad also Instapaper.

Two out of the three are Marco Arment's apps. Thank you, Marco!!!

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Awesome app and its free to boot. I love the smart speed feature and the simplicity of this app. According to the app I've saved about 105 hours in listening time using smart speed. love the true black theme on the iPhone X... This is probably my most used third party app.

12. GIZBUG macrumors 68000

GIZBUG

It’s a shame support is so bad for this product. Over 5 months, sent numerous emails and tweets about a podcast not pulling the correct feed. I manually add one of my podcasts, and it pulls an expired feed and won’t pull new episodes. No other podcast app has this issue.

Developer has yet to comment or fix the issue. Nice support.

13. velcrovan macrumors newbie

velcrovan

If you pay for the Premium subscription, you can use the Uploads feature: use your browser to upload MP3/AAC files to your account on overcast.fm, and they show up in the app. I use it for some of my favorite audiobooks.

14. robantonelli macrumors newbie

robantonelli

If you mean the main list of subscribed podcasts, the answer is you can’t. It’s sorted automatically in alphabetical order.

15. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

586 here!

Attached Files:

16. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

Thanks. You lost me at premium and subscription.
    If all the free app does is slightly improve the free Apple Podcast one, then I'll keep looking.
    Not sure why adding my own content would necessitate a premium feature.

17. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Let me know when they support video podcasts. Until then, Downcast FTW.

18. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

Honest question, what defines a “video podcast” ...isn’t that just a video? And why not watch that on a video platform such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc?

19. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

does anyone use cast box? i love the notifications better. the little red circle is a great way to see new episodes. i wish overcast had something like that.

20. bradkrischel macrumors 6502

You can have Overcast display the red badge (dot) with the number of unplayed episodes on the Overcast icon. Plus you can have push notifications sent (on a per podcast basis) when new episodes are published.

21. whyamihere macrumors 6502

whyamihere

Happy to provide some insight. Not all podcasters publish on those platforms. And even if they do, I enjoy the benefits of a podcast feed to download brand new episodes as they are released and keep track of the ones I've already watched. For Downcast, there's an iOS and a Mac app that keeps all of my settings and episodes in sync (I can listen on one and pick up right where I left off on the other). I can listen to one podcast and decide to switch to another for a bit and just pick right up where I left off when I'm ready to go back to the other. I also have every podcast automatically set to start at a faster speed (you become quite accustomed to it and finishing an hour long podcast in 45 minutes many times a day/week really adds up in saving time). I can stream the content or download it for offline viewing/listening. Having all of these features (and more) in a single app regardless of who is creating the content is very convenient. And (unlike YouTube) if I need to switch away to a different app, I can continue to have the audio playing in the background. Hope that helps. And to put it more in perspective I'm subscribed to over 30 different podcast feeds (some daily, many weekly or monthly) from about 10 different creators.

22. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

is that only for downloaded and not streamed? i tried marking as unplayed and theres no badge. i really don't want a notification, just a badge.

23. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I currently use Overcast, but I've been eyeing Pocket Casts too. Then again, the ads aren't intrusive at all on Overcast so...

Has anyone used both? Any reason for a preference one way or the other?

24. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

It's far more valuable for Apple to have strong independent developers. Marco has drawn an elegant line between free ad-supported functionality and a strong subscription base (423 signed up for the $9.99/year subscription this week). It is a powerful example that developers can thrive in the app store ecology. We need more developers like Marco, and more apps like this.

25. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Please don't. It will never get better!

--

Just wanted to say that if anyone here listens to podcasts frequently and hasn't installed this app, why? Go do it. Now. It's podcasting perfection!