iPod touch Overclocking the Ipod Touch 4G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tech324, Oct 10, 2010.

1. tech324 macrumors 6502

Anyone find out what speed the A4 is running on the new Ipod Touch? Also, I wonder if it would be possible to overclock it?

2. applemike macrumors 6502

applemike

Unfortunately not going to happen mate. The heat output of the touch is high enough anyway. Overclocking would probably melt the thing. Maybe if you could adapt a third party colling system then it might be possible. but still unlikely

3. tech324 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I know with my Palm Pre I was able to overclock it from 600 - 800 without adding much heat to it. And the Palm Pre is plastic. I was thinking if you jumped the Ipod Touch a few hundred mhz it might not be so bad since the back is metal. Just a thought.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What would the point be? One of those just for the hell of it things? :confused:

5. battlekid macrumors regular

OC'ing would be cool, but it most likely would damage components :(

6. pizz macrumors regular

WHY would you want to overclock an ipod touch?

7. supermassive macrumors regular

supermassive

This would add another feature to the iPt, you could use it as a mobile cooking plate!

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm sorry, but I was literally bursting out laughing when I saw the thread title. Come on, get a good laugh everyone. Its good to laugh. :)

Anyways, no, it's not possible. It would seriously strain the battery, and overheat the iPod and all that other bad stuff. We wouldn't want your brand new iPod touch to explode ;)

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Makes you live longer. :)

:Laughs uncontrollably:

I don't think it would matter much. Even if you could, it would probably mess it up some how.

10. fadedmemories macrumors newbie

lmao

the processor speed of the A4 chip in the ipod touch 4g is 1Ghz but its underclocked to 800MHz to keep it cool :p

11. nukem170 macrumors member

At 800Mhz it still runs pretty hot after about 10 mins of gaming. And also for the heat to get to the metal at the back it still has to run through all the internal components first. So over clocking will probably kill the thing in less than an hour or so.

12. martinrioso macrumors newbie

know its old but actually you CAN

incredibly or maybe not so much ¬¬*all idevices are UNDERclocked why? to make battery last little longer anyway you can modify a file if you have a jailbroken itouch and make processor run at stock speed for example itouch 4g's A4 is actually 1ghz but it runs at 800mhz you can modify some files to make it run at 1ghz if you want even more performance at cost of battery duration.. greetings to all.. know its old just wanted to revive the thread :D :apple:

13. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Even if it's possible, why? The heat issue would outweigh any performance gain.

14. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That has long ago been dis-proven. I'm assuming you're referring to the power bundle hack. All that does is prevent the CPU from going into low power mode when the screen is off. Thus, causing the battery to drain faster with no speed gain.

Please stop spreading disinformation about the topic of overclocking via the power bundle hack.

15. chaddieboy, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

chaddieboy macrumors newbie

overclock ipt 4g

if you have had an ipod touch 2g or iphone 3g that was jailbroken, most of you would have wanted to overclock it by going to power management and removing the reduce processor speed key.
    well the power management file is no longer in pod touch 4g i am currently running ios5 but i found it in a different file go to /system/library/coreservices/ the go down untill you see powered.bundle.
    you will see a text document that says com.apple.systempowerprofiledefaults.plist
    open that and and go throught and remove all keys reduce proccessor speed and above the key it will say interger 1 remove that to.

hope this helped!:)

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This does not overclock the iPod or increase its speed. All it does is force the iPod to run at its set speed of 800Mhz all the time and not allow it to sleep the CPU. What this actually does it decrease the battery life drastically because the CPU cannot sleep when the screen is off. Do not do this unless you want a much reduced battery life and no speed gain.

17. tehpea macrumors member

To overclock an iPod touch or iPhone...

Go to System/Library/System/System Configuration/PowerManagement.bundle/ and delete the com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefault.plist file or rename it. Reboot the iPod touch and you get an extra 200mhz. (1GHz instead of 800mhz)

18. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Like I said two times already in this thread, that does not overclock it. All that does is prevent the CPU from going into low power mode when the screen is off. Thus, causing the battery to drain faster with no speed gain. It does not get you 200Mhz more. The clock speed is set by the iBBS, not by iOS and cannot be changed by altering anything in iOS.

19. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Change this plist's name

com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefault.plist

com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaultBACKUP.plist

it is located here

System/Library/System Configuration/PowerManagement.bundle/

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That doesn't overclock it. You can't overclock an iOS device.

21. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Read post #18.

22. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Doesn't it just aggravate you when someone answers with invalid information without even bothering to read the less than a page thread?

23. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes. Compound that onto reviving a 6 month old thread.

24. CydiaUpdates6 macrumors newbie

Speed intensifier: Overclock

You could always jailbreak your iPod or iPhone and download Speed Intensifier.

1. download the latest version jailbreak
    2. jailbreak your device (instructions should be in the program)
    3. add the source: "repo.insanelyi.com"
    4. download "speed intensifier"

Enjoy your overclock :)

25. labman macrumors 604

labman

Again that's not overclocking as said a number of times but you kids have fun! :rolleyes: