Overheating, battery draining, fan always on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by amytxoxo, Aug 15, 2013.

1. amytxoxo macrumors newbie

I'm having an issue with my 2012 MacBook Air where the computer gets super hot, the fan constantly runs and the battery drains really fast. It's very annoying and sometimes I only get 1-2 hours of battery life. My storage space is low right now, which I'm thinking could be a reason for this happening. But only about 2/3 of the space is being taken by my stuff; the other 1/3 is being taken by the "other" category and I can't figure out what it is. Any help or advice is appreciated :)

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

3. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Open "Activity Monitor". It shows you exactly what is using your CPUs. A good candidate are websites using Flash (quit your web browser and see if it makes a difference). If Flash websites are the problem, start Safari, choose "Safari Extensions..." in the Safari mean, and install ClickToFlash.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

^+1.

The days of care-free, don't want to know how my car works as long as it gets me from point A to point B is over.

5. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Do you have AdBlock running as a Safari Extension? I found that it would cause the same problems on my iMac. Disable it, reboot, and see if it's any better.

6. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Are you plugging in your AC adapter before waking your MBA from sleep.

When I plug the adapter in before waking (assuming its d/c during its sleep) when my 2011 MBA wakes up it runs hot, fans loud with no report of any memory / CPU leak in activity monitor. I've never been able to solve this. So I always wake up the MBA and then plug in once I've logged in.

Clearly a hardware bug

And yes I've tried SMC reset even PRAM reset

7. amytxoxo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies! I actually found out that flash in safari was using 100% of my CPU :/