MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple has issued a statement and a knowledge base article addressing two separate support issues that may require replacement.

The first issue received publicity today surrounding a Japanese report that certain iPod nanos may be a fire risk.
Japan on Tuesday warned users of Apple iPod nanos of a potential fire risk after two new instances in which the popular portable music players overheated.
This appears to only affect the first generation (tall rectangular) iPod nanos. Apple quickly released a statement today acknowledging the problem:
Apple has determined that in very rare cases batteries in first generation iPod nanos sold between September 2005 and December 2006 can overheat causing failure and deformation of the iPod nano.
Any first generation iPod nano customers with any battery overheating issues or issues should contact AppleCare for replacement.

The second issue is one that with regard to fraying MagSafe power adapters that have been used in the MacBook and MacBook Pros. This issue has received some publicity amongst support forums. Apple has posted a knowledge base article indicating that affected customers may be eligible for replacement even if your adapter is out-of-warranty.
You may notice a separation of the white insulation on the magnetic end of the MagSafe adapter. Under continued use, the cable may discolor and the rubber molding may become deformed.
Affected customers should visit a local Apple Store for evaluation and replacement.

Article Link

a1016neo

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
I'm glad Apple is informing the public!

Now, do the same with the iphone 3G reception issues!

Comment

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
It's about time Apple has acknowledged their MagSafe has issues.

of course I've already spent $85. :) Ah well.

Email or go to an Apple store with yoru reciept and talk to them. They may refund your money or give store credit at least.

Comment

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
This may not be related

This may not be related, but I was watching the news tonight, and there was something, which caught my eye. In China the factories are starting to close since the super cheap labor is not in mass numbers any longer. Because of the failing factories, quality is starting to fail as well so the factory can remain open. I'm starting to wonder if Apple is having these issues since the mag safe, nano, the cough iPhone 3G, and some issues with the video cards in a few models. I may be reaching but it just seems to make sense, which sucks, since I love our mac and iPods.

Comment

MattsxB

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2007
Yay a fix for my 2gb nano that gets very warm and battery doesn't last more than 20 minutes!!! AppleCare is gettin a call tomorow from me... I will post results...

Comment

isauce

macrumors regular
May 21, 2008
Off topic, but I hope they announce about the GPU issue with the MBP! I guess they are taking their time.

Comment

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
in your FACE: old bald "Genius" (Moron) at the Indianapolis Keystone Apple Store !!!!!

a year and a half ago i brought in two frayed 1st gen MBP power bricks and this so called "genius" told me they were fraying due to abuse. how can you abuse a product that is engineered to release itself from the laptop to prevent abuse!!!?? I guess i figured that a genius gets paid to, oh... i dunno, think.

i had to get a friend who was an Apple employee to swap the bricks out for new ones for me. i'm so thankful for that friend.

but today i say IN YOUR FACE BALDIE!!! ha!
And i hope you are reading, you know who you are!

Comment

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Mine did that about 6 months ago. I called and they sent me out a new one after verifying my CC had the funds to cover if I didn't send the bad one back. It was about 3 weeks out of warranty. When it started going it went quickly. a small crack turned into a tear and soon the whole thing was showing exposed metal fibers I taped it over but that didn't help much. I now pull in the adapter itself, not the cable to detach my MB.

Email or go to an Apple store with yoru reciept and talk to them. They may refund your money or give store credit at least.

That probably won't work if there is no proof of the fraying cable. For all Apple knows you lost it. Now, if you have the frayed cable you can get a replacement, put it in the box from the other one you bought and return it for store credit. There may be another way too, but I don't care enoguh to think through all the possibilities, but it will require the defunct HW.

Comment

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
Wow. Gee. He did what his boss told him to do.
Tomorrow, he'll do the same.

:rolleyes:

How dreadfully crazy that is.

actually, his boss was the friend who swapped them for me, though he wasn't working the day i brought them in.

i guess the ones that really get paid to think are the genius' bosses.

Comment

LindseyOwen1

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2008
I had the magsafe problem last month, however apple were really good about it. My laptop had run out of warranty but a call to apple and the dispatched one the same day and it arrived the following morning!
The did try and safe it was me not using it correctly and i got a load of emails on how to care for your adaptor. But I was actually impressed with apples service!

Comment

Eduardo1971

macrumors demi-god
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
The Magsafe cord on my first generation Macbook frayed nine months after I purchased it (waay back when the first generation Macbooks were released)-the goons at the Apple Store in Glendale, California refused to replace it. They stated "it looks like it was abused"-what a load of rubbish. I ended up buying a replacement one.:mad:

Comment

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I've had my Macbook Pro for 2 years now and I've had to get my Magsafe replaced once. I have AppleCare, so I just took it to my local Apple Service Provider and they replaced it for free. I also started pulling the adapter out itself rather than the cord. This is probably how you're supposed to do it.

My wife has the first generation iPod Nano, but she's had no problems with it.

Comment

coledog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2006
Roanoke, VA
Mine was pulling away from the brick end and I called and got a new one under Applecare about 2 weeks ago.

Mine was the old bigger 85w and they sent one of the new smaller ones!

Comment

tiresias314

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I went into the Apple store a few weeks ago with two frayed Magsafe adaptors for my Macbook, and they replaced both on the spot no questions asked.

Basically the adaptors weren't charging my Macbook anymore, and the connector was visibly frayed. I showed it to them and told them they didn't charge my Macbook anymore. They didn't ask to see my Macbook or check my warranty, simply said, "You're sure it's not the computer?" I told them I tested it with another adaptor belonging to my mother, which worked fine.

The girl walked over to two brand new adaptors, broke open the boxes and and replaced the parts I was giving her.

Say what you will, but I do love Apple customer service.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.