Overheating my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mantasis, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Mantasis macrumors member

So I got an 07' MBP and I need to overheat, my warranty is up in a month and the store tried screwing me out of a replacement. So I need to make it look legit. So, what kinds of applications will push my mac to overheating?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Bad idea. What wrong with your machine at the moment?

3. seydurin macrumors member

download the app insomniaX from here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/22211/insomniax

It will let you close your lid without the computer going to sleep.

then just open a 3d game or HD flash video, close the lid (make sure InsomniaX stops your computer from going to sleep) then wrap your computer in a towel or something. after like an hour you should be golden.

4. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I cycled mine for a few days (max GPU load/shut lid) for a few days 6 months ago.

It didn't die.

After I sold it and a day before the warranty ended, it died. And the guy I sold it to never plays games, so the GPU was doing naff all.

5. Mantasis thread starter macrumors member

Yes! I like it. I actually already have insomnia, never thought of doing that.

For the people who think I'm evil:
    I've actually had a lot of trouble with this notebook, so don't think I'm trying to scam the store, they're trying to scam me. They have a certain policy about replacing the laptop, and they tried to screw me out of it.

@concorde, were you trying to achieve the same results as me? So it was on 24 hours a day?

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

i definitely dont agree with this, no matter what the case. Thats not going to stop you though so...

Hd movie plus game while in clam shell. Cover back ports with something?

Might they refuse to replace it though? and say it was user error that it overheated?

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

8. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

No.

The reason for failure is thermal stresses (expansion/contraction) leading to loss of electrical pathways which leads to the failure.

Having it on 24/7 at 100C is within spec and nothing will happen...

Cycling it (Very hot, stone cold, very hot, stone cold) is what I was doing.

When installing Windows XP for the last time I managed to make it graphically corrupt but I could never get it to do it again.

9. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

put it in your stove for 35 minutes at 400 degrees. ps make sure the comps on.

10. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Love it. :D

11. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

Whatever you decide to do, if it doesnt max your CPU make sure to type "yes > /dev/null", one for each thread in your CPU (probably 2) that will max your CPU aswell. :)

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

While encoding several movies with handbrake...poor MBP :(

13. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

hahahaa i think that would kill it... or you could put the oven lower so it looks natural :p

14. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

no matter what anyone says there is something morally wrong with that. especially since its a mac :p

15. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Just so you know, you will be committing fraud. So if Apple care goes up a few $ we'll know who to blame.

16. Mantasis thread starter macrumors member

Haha, they shouldn't refuse, I'm trying to overheat it, not physically abuse anything, I've already warrantied this thing many times and had major components replaced each time.

That's what I was hoping for.

Very informative. I'm gonna try this, I've been running insomnia all day, with my MBP in my bag just running... Won't stone cold, to hot cause cracking?

Will that leave evidence? ;) I've been doing it the hard way, running left 4 dead 2 in the background and playing a movie.

Uh...No.

17. rgarjr, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010

rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Don't kill your Mac dude. Can't u just open it up and short something out?

18. Mantasis thread starter macrumors member

I have to, she's served me well...but I need to move on...to newer...unibodier frontiers. :(

19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm sure that data such as the ambient temperature, CPU temperature and such is logged for failure analysis. Rest assured that if Apple decides to do a failure analysis they will uncover your little scheme. Requesting a replacement machine for one that you intentionally destroyed is indeed fraud. If you are truly deserving of a replacement calling Apple and complaining will result in one.

20. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

It very well cold. Would be your best bet haha. Overheating to freezer? :X
    That might cause other problems though... (crack screen??)

Nope no evidence haha. Itas a good way. Keep left for dead open first though, it stresses gpu ;)

21. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

And you know that such data is logged because...?

I, for one, do not believe that the data is logged, because logging takes CPU cycles, and if you're interrupting the CPU from it's idle power state to log crap such at this, you'll get terrible battery life, and Mac OS X has pretty much the best battery life of any modern mainstream OS.

Doubt it. Apple decided to try to screw me out of a whole top case + SuperDrive replacement on my 2007 MBP. The warping of the top case apparently from my palm resting was apparently enough that it damaged the SuperDrive (never mind that tons of users have complained their SuperDrives failed without this warping being exhibited with their system).

My computer was under AppleCare at the time but Apple decided it was "user abuse".

22. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Your biggest problem with trying to overheat the Computer is that a CPU throttles once it gets to hot. Which means instead of overheating it will just do whatever you throw at it slower.
    You need to put it on something that heats enough so that throttling doesn't help anymore. I doubt they log everything in temps, but still it is unlikely to work very well. Get a big enough neodym magnet and just play a little until something stops working properly than bring it in. That will definitely work, it is only a question playing dumb enough, in order for them not to think it was on purpose.
    Just don't kill the HDD only that is too easy to replace. Work on the PCB.

I have never tried it but you usually can do a lot of damage with such magnets on a lot of things.

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I certainly don't agree with this. It sounds like you're trying to get something for nothing. Perhaps maybe Apple should have replaced your Superdrive, maybe not, I don't know. But I don't believe a Superdrive is worth an entirely new MBP as a replacement. The cost difference is too much. Like another person already said, it's things like this that drive up the cost of Apple Care ad even the rest of the products. Companies have to recoup their replacement costs somewhere.

24. neteng101 macrumors 65816

So you have a problematic laptop but its been fixed and is currently working fine. Why not just sell it off and put the money towards a new one?

Oh wait - you want a brand new replacement, for free. Your logic is flawed - a warranty is to keep your machine working, not provide you with a free new unit at the end of it. You're not evil, just criminal. ;)

25. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

How many CPU cycles do you think it takes to write to an address or two in flash memory periodically or upon certain events, such as temperatures exceeding a set limit? I'm not saying that Apple actually does log such data, but if they wanted to, there would be no difference whatsoever as far as battery life.