Overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, Apr 6, 2009.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

So me and my girlfriend drove to Florida (from Oklahoma) for vacation. On the way back, I decided to use my iPhone's map application for some GPS action while also playing music. About 30 minutes later from when I initially started, my phone quit playing music. I looked up and it came up with some kind of temperature warning that I've never seen before which took up the whole screen (I tried to get a screenshot of it but it wouldn't let me but I did find this picture on the net).

[​IMG]

I took my phone out of the window mount holder and the back of the phone was really really hot. I've never felt it this hot before...I thought the back plastic casing was going to melt off because of how hot it was. It kinda freaked me out so I turned it off for an hour and decided not to use my phone for GPS for long periods of time.

Anyways, has this happened to anyone else?
    I'm thinking about taking it to Apple and making up a story saying that it happens all the time even after a restore in hopes of getting a new one because I'm afraid that kind of heat may have just shortened my iPhone's lifespan.

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

There was a thread about an iPhone burning a user a while ago.
    No, lying to Apple because you exposed your own iPhone to extensive use and heat is wrong.
    Why should Apple give you a new phone because you got a warning that it was too hot?:rolleyes:
    I can't believe some people.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've never seen that leaving my phone lying in the car in Florida sunlight before... I wouldn't honestly worry about it that much, though, as long as the phone goes right back to normal behavior.

4. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

I remember seeing that thread and thankfully it didn't get that bad. Well I guess I should add that ever since this happened, it's been operating hotter than usual. Sure, its gotten hot before, but not as hot as it is now. But it has not been so hot that the temperature screen popped up again (although I don't understand why it hasn't popped up as hot as it gets). I just hope it didn't damage anything then or in the long run. I've ran GPS and music at the same time for longer periods before without problems. I guess it was just a bad instance.

5. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

6. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

sort of related story, lately there are instances where my phone will get hot and the battery will brain rapidly, for no real reason, no heavy use etc. with generally the same usage every day sometimes my phone will work fine and ill have half battery after 8 hours at work, other days like today my phone will get really hot and by the time im out of work i get the 10% warning. This is with the same usage habits from day to day, and the hot battery drain soemtimes happening on days with lower usage. When you pull your phone out to check for a message and it went from 50% down to 20% something is wrong

7. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Can you define "extensive use" please?

8. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i agree, my battery is acting up after about 5 months

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Gladly.
    Listening to music and using GPS for 30 minutes.
    Plus, the thing was against a window, meaning the sun was most likely beating on the (Black) back of the phone for a long period of time.
    Idk, maybe it's just me, but putting all of those things together seems like your trying to kill it.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i listen to the ipod on my phone for hours sometimes and it doesnt get hot, and this is in FL

11. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

GPS is quite intensive on the battery - on initial settings a while back, you could be charging the phone, but the charging wasn't as powerful as the power draw for using the Maps GPS...

Have a decent current of air circulate around it when using I guess is the best advice - it's harder for it to dissipate heat at higher temperatures

12. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yeah... when i was driving down to FL from ATL... i was tethering+playing music to the stereo.

about 3 hours later i felt the aluminum and it was EXTREMELY hot. i placed it on the arm rest right infront of the air vent and aimed the cool a/c on it.

it cooled down and was running fine - however i never got a notification.

i can't imagine how hot yours was!

13. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Aluminum probably feels hotter than plastic.

14. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yyyeah?

15. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

So you are telling me that I am not entitled to use two things at once and that if I do, I place myself outside of my warranty coverage because I am abusing or "extensively using" my phone? Is it still extensive to surf the net on 3G while also listening to music? Hardly, otherwise such blasphemy would've been disabled.

Btw, the sun was not involved. We left Orlando at 3am in order to make it back to Oklahoma by 11pm. I used it initially when we left the hotel at 3 to see where the nearest McDonald's was to grab breakfast and to see what route it told us to take.

16. skoops macrumors regular

17. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

What i don't get is why you feel the need to replace it.
    I could understand if it constantly got hot and didn't show a warning but it was a once off and the conditions sound like it was partly your fault (leaving it in the window when it was hot outside).
    I realize that it shouldn't get hot but it did and apple foresaw this and gave you a warning before you or your device got damaged.
    But thats just what i think.

18. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

See post #15. It occurred at night. Also see post #4; it gets hotter than usual ever since this has occurred.

19. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Why not? Spaz took his back 4 or 5 times because his volume button or on/off button wasnt flush enough for him and they gave him a new one each time.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sounds like page #132 of the iPhone manual confirms that YOU exposed your iPhone to extreme temperature and that's the reason for the screenshot that you've posted. That's the only way that the screen would appear. Your iPhone is history. Good luck on a replacement.....:(

21. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

This is "extensive" use?

23. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Having driven for hours around Hawaii while listening to music and using GPS with no heat problems, I can tell you that it's not really "excessive" use. I think the sun is your main problem, I don't see how using two of the base applications on the phone at the same time can in any way be considered excessive.

24. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

I've never seen anything like that, damn. I have noticed the 3g feels a lil hot when using GPS, anyone experience this or is it just me.

25. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

My phone's gotten pretty hot (more like warm) from recharging, and I think from extensive GPS usage once.

I've never gotten that screen though, or had my iPhone get any hotter than my MacBook.