Overnight Battery Drain

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bowlerguy10, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

I got my beautiful iPhone 4 yesterday at bestbuy and in an effort to run it through two full battery cycles I didn't charge it last night so that I would be able to kill it today. I left the phone at exactly 70% when I went to bed and woke up just a bit ago to see that the battery without any use what so ever is at 59%. That's a pretty substantial drop, everything like location services is off as well but I hadn't cleared out my multitasking bar of applications despite them supposedly not claiming battery life. Anyone elses phone do this? What can I do? Maybe in a couple cycles it will be better.

2. NetBaffle macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. Is your usage also being reported incorrectly?

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its a brand new battery. Give it a couple of full charge cycles before you make a judgement. My previous 4 only lost 1% over 8 hours of standby with everything like Loc and push off, but 3G/WiFi on. Why didn't you just play videos or stream YouTube or music to drain the battery?

PS. If you aren't running an app that has backgrounding capable services the it being in the tray does nothing.

4. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Everysones usage us being reported incorrectly.

I'm on a new phone as I took back my first, and STILL am having the damn issue.

I'm getting very upset. Everything else works fantastic but the god damn battery. Taking this phone back to apple today. Guess we'll see if a third fixes the issue.

I don't want to actually return the phone and buy a 3gs, but damnit they are trying to force my hand.

5. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

First few days, my battery drained a bit more than I liked.

Last night it drained about 2%.

6. mikeliterus macrumors newbie

After about 3 full charges, I charged mine last night and left it unplugged about midnight. Woke up at 7:15 with 100%. I also have 3GT, WiFi and Location services ON. I have done some light surfing this morning. It is now at 98% and it's 8:45AM. My brightness is about half way with autobrightness turned OFF.
    I don't remember it being this good the first time I charged it. It seems to be getting better!

7. NetBaffle macrumors newbie

darngooddesign: consider yourself lucky. I've had my iPhone since launch day...completed a charge cycle every single day and as of today my battery is draining at about 20% every 8 hrs in standby and about 1% per minute when in use. I will admit that battery life has improved significantly since day one (when it was draining 80% every 8 hrs in standby alone) but it's still far from what others are getting.

8. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

Mine is exactly like yours!

Original and replacement. Going to give it the weekend to get better.

9. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

We are all really missing the point though.

Say you get 8 hours usage and 24 hours standby.

That's REALLY 8 hours usage and 16 hours standby. Which is *****TY battery life IMO.

I'm currently getting 5 hours usage and 16 hours standby (real standby 11 hours).

10. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got 3 1/2 hours of usage and 15 hours and 45 minutes of standby. My battery is currently sitting at an even 50%.

11. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

So 3.5 and 12, projected 7 and 24. Not bad. Mines not near that.

12. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

I'm on my first battery charge and I am only losing 2-4% over night. I think that great!

13. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I don't have much an issue with the actual usage that the battery provides. It's just the fact that it dropped 11% overnight, I'm assuming that running the battery through a couple times will build it up stronger and yield a more reasonable 2-3% decline. These phones can go on standby supposedly for what like 300 hours?

14. bobright macrumors 601

I am somewhat having this problem. But overall battery seems better. So before going to sleep it's a good idea to close all multitask apps in bottom dock? If some are running do they stay connected all night and could be killing our battery?

15. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

I had the same issue, then i went into settings>general>reset>reset all settings.

This allowed me to greatly increase my battery life. In essence, if you backup your iphone with the 3g or 3gs settings, it seems to drain your battery WAY fast. Now, i get amazing battery.

Give it a try.

16. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, unless it's Pandora or something that can actually run in the background, applications in your multitasking "dock" aren't actually running or pulling off of your battery at all. You can leave those there with no decline.

17. bobright macrumors 601

On the other hand Location and even more Push got to take a significant blow overnight to battery correct?

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

When you say charge cycle have you let it run down until it dies and then charge it constantly until full?

19. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

They do.

20. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I can't even get my usage to display. It always says "Usage times will be displayed after iPhone is fully charged" even AFTER it's been fully charged. So, I really have no idea how long I've been using it. I never saw this message on previous OS levels. Is this something new?

21. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Previous nights it dropped 1-2%. Last night it dropped 40%. I think it might deal with the map and compass running in the background.

22. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

As long as you don't see the arrow near your clock, they aren't using gps and thus shouldn't be "on".

23. bobright macrumors 601

We should all run tests and report back, I'm going to drain completely and charge complete. Are we still able to see standby time etc we got from our last charge?

BTW how long do you guys recommend for a full charge? If you go by the battery indicator, it will say you're fully charged in about 25-30 min which I doubt is the case.

24. Bowlerguy10 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in the habit of leaving the phone on 2-3 hours regardless of what the display says. I typically charge mine overnight so it gets about 8 hours on the teet.

25. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

you need to turn wi-fi off before you go to bed